Fraser Guitars

clarke_111clarke_111 Frets: 58
edited December 2018 in Guitar
Searched but can't find much on these-there is one old thread I can see here, but not much info.

Noticed a couple of these on reverb and via stores - apparently 'hand built in the UK' (though being Fender style guitars I have no idea to what extent they are 'built' and to what extent they are bolted together part casters (not really an issue for me if they use good parts) relic-ing on them is a little OTT, but the online stores that are listing a couple are describing them as 'on a par' with Fender CS guitars etc - yet they are going for sub £1000. 

I struggle to see how they can be a custom built guitar at that price (which is what the basic info I have seen seems to suggest they are) but I am no expert. The official website is down atm whilst creating a new one apparently.

Anyone have any direct experience or has played one? Anyone bought one?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Ive not played one but i did contact them to ask if they were "kit builds" and were told they were not and that they are built from the raw wood up unless a customer asked gor somthing specificaĺly they could not do. Like you i thought the prices seemed cheap if they were not using ready built bodies and necks.

They were happy for me to come and try some they had in stock at the time.
  • Juanfra3Juanfra3 Frets: 24
    edited December 2018
    I do have a Fraser S-type surft green no relic. it was my request not to have it reliced. and its an amazing guitar!.. i think its comparable to a Fender CS in many aspects...
    it took 7 weeks to get mine...
    Dean does work with the raw materials, and he would comply with any specifications the client requests.. the more specifications you'd ask, the longer it would take.. (ie. aging fretboard )

definitely an amazing piece of a beast.....

i was surprised with not only the tone but the sustain.... its amazing... great wood quality and handwired pick ups made the magic.

being a les paul man.. i am proud to own a Fraser S-type
  • Ben_McCarthyBen_McCarthy Frets: 117
    edited December 2018
    I have seen these floating around and did wonder this myself. Nice to have reassurance that they are decent at a very very attractive price point. 

If this guy can make money putting these out imagine what fender are making on strats! 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Yeah I have one ...if just had it a couple of weeks ..I believe they are made from scratch ..I got mine 2nd hand ...it's a strat ..it sounds awesome ..really good pickups and a great neck ...mine has been relic,d and does look great ..I would reccomend them highly ..it easily compare with my USA strat plus which I love...
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I know a couple of people that have bought or played them and they love them.
    Prices seem to have gone up lately, they were around £899 but seem nearer £1100 now.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I’ve been looking at these a lot lately and I think they look superb particularly the Atom vintage  model. 

Ill definately be consideringnone one for my next purchase. 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    so are the parts made in the UK by the guy building the guitar, or are they bought in say all parts and just assembled in the UK so the guitar is "made" in the UK ?
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    darcym said:
    so are the parts made in the UK by the guy building the guitar, or are they bought in say all parts and just assembled in the UK so the guitar is "made" in the UK ?
    He makes his own necks and bodies from what I’ve read. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Of the pics I’ve seen the builder post in the background you can see stashes of body and neck blanks suggesting he’s making them. He certainly makes his own hardware if you look at some of his designs. 

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    He winds his own pickups I think as well...got to say they sound awesome