Old tech with new tech for new tech (SNES content)

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
So basically you can play your paltry 16-bit graphic games in 1080p. But it crashes on certain games and it's suggested 480p/720p works best. Oh and the wireless receiver can be a bit temperamental. In other words: if you're really that bothered, just get a SNES.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a-new-250-limited-edition-super-nintendo-from-anal/1100-6463587/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    ‘from-anal’

Not sure I want to click that link ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    dbphoto said:
    ‘from-anal’

Not sure I want to click that link ;-)
    I've no idea why that's in the link. But don't worry, you'll see no barking spiders when you click on it.
  • Raspberry pi running retropi for about $200 cheaper... It does look nice but overpriced
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Raspberry pi running retropi for about $200 cheaper... It does look nice but overpriced
    Wis'd
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2373
    Raspberry pi running retropi for about $200 cheaper... It does look nice but overpriced
    You can now get a decent Pi SNES cases to make it even better: https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeeekPi-Retroflag-Functional-Raspberry-Heatsink/dp/B07HF1QQCX/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1QTDAGFF1Q3T9WS3S659 ;

I have the NESPi case, great quality with power and reset buttons :) 
    PVO_Dave said:
    You can now get a decent Pi SNES cases to make it even better: https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeeekPi-Retroflag-Functional-Raspberry-Heatsink/dp/B07HF1QQCX/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1QTDAGFF1Q3T9WS3S659 ;

I have the NESPi case, great quality with power and reset buttons :) 
    Same. I've neglected it this year, due to the birth of our little one, but nice to know it's there when I want it. 

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2373
    I did dig mine out the other day, made a concerted effort to find and obtain the 0.78 romset for Mame too, means they all work instead of playing silly buggers trying to find the right versions :) 
    PVO_Dave said:
    I did dig mine out the other day, made a concerted effort to find and obtain the 0.78 romset for Mame too, means they all work instead of playing silly buggers trying to find the right versions :) 
    oh, good shout. I mostly play NES/SNES/Megadrive/SMS games so not an issue, but fucks me right off when I want to play one of the MAME games and it won't load. 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited December 2018
    beed84 said:
    So basically you can play your paltry 16-bit graphic games in 1080p. But it crashes on certain games and it's suggested 480p/720p works best. Oh and the wireless receiver can be a bit temperamental. In other words: if you're really that bothered, just get a SNES.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a-new-250-limited-edition-super-nintendo-from-anal/1100-6463587/

To be fair, I think there's a bit of misunderstanding on what's doing what here...

It looks better on 720p because 240p scales nicely into it. As it does into 4k and 480p. As 240 doesn't divide nicely into 1080p there will be problems on any retro console on a 1080 display, whether modded original hardware, emulated or FPGA is the source. Add to that 240p isn't real standard, CRTs can handle it but panels think its 480i and try to de-interlace and it looks like shit

The SNES itself is a very odd fruit in terms of it's display. If you're not plugging it into a CRT you are going to have problems because of it's not quite 60fps refresh rate, and other odd foibles it has.

What the Analogue is an FPGA implementation of a SNES. It is not a software emulator running on a Pi, it's hardware replicated within an FPGA (so zero lag). It is currently the most accurate modern implementation of a SNES there is. It also has a lot of things on there to help it work as well as is possible with modern displays. How you configure it will depend on the display you're using. But there are plenty of places on the net to guide you through it. Take it from me, getting these old consoles and computers to work with modern equipment satisfactorily is an utter nightmare (there's a LONG blog on the subject on my website).

The wireless controllers are 3rd party. If you don't like them, plug a real one in.

FWIW, when I was running my old SNES into a modern monitor, it was running through a box that scaled it and added scanlines, then through another that converted the output of that box to HDMI. It was also temperamental and required setup. It also, with the console, probably cost more than the Analogue SNES which does all that internally. Also, as for costs. FPGA's do not come cheap...

Some things to watch:

Also look up RetroRGB and Smokemonster.