Boss Nextone - Andertons blind test

What's Hot
Andertons have done a “blind” test of the new Boss Nextone amps.

if you want to guess which is which don’t read the video description before watching!

https://youtu.be/x_3UJ87okeg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited December 2018
    I'm not impressed with the sound of the Nextone at all in this video. I coud tell which was the valve amp in each example and much preferred it. The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe sounds great.

• Also I was not impressed
    but interestingly I read the first 10 or 15 comment and on most the Boss was the preferred option.

imight need to hear it on non computer speakers but the boss to me sounded thin and grainy especially against the hot rod deluxe.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I was listening on my studio monitors with good converters and I think the Boss sounded very good and better than the HRD.
    The Vox tone was the hardest one to cop, but it always is.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    I only got as far as the clean and crunch comparison with the HRD and switched it off. The Boss and the HRD were not EQ'd anywhere near the same.
    It would've been a doddle to dial in the same soft, home friendly, disappear-in-the-mix tone on the HRD, but I suspect they're trying to make their new product easier on the ear to their target market.

As an HRD IV and  ex-Katana owner the Nextone seems to have exactly the same problem as the Katana - it's flattering, friendly, a bit squishy, and when you dig in to make a phrase pop out of the mix absolutely fuck all happens. 

The HRD IV is a relatively cheap, very mass-produced valve amp, but in the same room as a Katana rather than close miked there's no doubt whatsoever it's a real amp with real musical dynamics. It makes the Katana feel and sound like the entertaining toy that it is, and disappointingly, the "Next One" just looks like more of the same. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I'm not impressed with the sound of the Nextone at all in this video. I coud tell which wqs the valve amp in each example and much preferred it. The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe sounds great.
    I picked out the HRD from the nasty sounding drive channel.

I couldn't be bothered to watch the full video.  It seems a competent enough amp, but you would want to try one in the flesh.  At £600 it's not exactly cheap though.
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    p90fool said:
    I only got as far as the clean and crunch comparison with the HRD and switched it off. The Boss and the HRD were not EQ'd anywhere near the same.
    It would've been a doddle to dial in the same soft, home friendly, disappear-in-the-mix tone on the HRD, but I suspect they're trying to make their new product easier on the ear to their target market.

As an HRD IV and  ex-Katana owner the Nextone seems to have exactly the same problem as the Katana - it's flattering, friendly, a bit squishy, and when you dig in to make a phrase pop out of the mix absolutely fuck all happens. 

The HRD IV is a relatively cheap, very mass-produced valve amp, but in the same room as a Katana rather than close miked there's no doubt whatsoever it's a real amp with real musical dynamics. It makes the Katana feel and sound like the entertaining toy that it is, and disappointingly, the "Next One" just looks like more of the same. 
    katana is like an old gf.
    you wanted it to work, but it didn't, and it was always her fault. beatches!
  • DCS222DCS222 Frets: 45
    I thought the eq’s were a mile out unfortunately, not the best comparison... being fair though they did say halfway through that the volumes on the bigger valve amps were not at the volume the amps would work better at
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    p90fool said:

Also, like the Katana, you need to hook it up to a PC to get the most of it. IMHO a gigging amp should be a bit more plug’n’play. 

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    Wow, necro bump...

The Boss Nextone - the answer to the question "I want a Katana, but the £200 cost is too cheap, the Artist is no good because the brand still screams cheap... can I have a £600 version with a different brand on?".
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    I've heard nothing about these since their release.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6683
    I thought it was pronounced differently. As in don't buy this move onto the 'Next One'
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I get the impression they haven't sold all that well .

They don't really seem to fit into a clear place between the katana and the blues cube.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    soma1975 said:
    I thought it was pronounced differently. As in don't buy this move onto the 'Next One'
    Ah, see I read it as ‘Nexton E’ and I’m waiting till they launch the ‘Nexton F’ version..
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    So the Nextone sounds worse it every test. The Boss amps are for people that have never played the real amps.
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    TateFX said:
    So the Nextone sounds worse it every test. The Boss amps are for people that have never played the real amps.
    That's not really fair.

Joking aside, they are for people who want the choice of all those amps without having to actually own them all - most people don't have the money and/or space to own them all.

Other amps, like Blackstar Silverline are the same, they don't sound exactly like an AC30, or JCM800, or HRD, but can do a decent impression.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    TateFX said:
    That's not really fair.

Joking aside, they are for people who want the choice of all those amps without having to actually own them all - most people don't have the money and/or space to own them all.

Other amps, like Blackstar Silverline are the same, they don't sound exactly like an AC30, or JCM800, or HRD, but can do a decent impression.

Yeah I think the Silverline sounds good too
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    TateFX said:
    That's not really fair.

Ok maybe I was a little harsh. But Honestly I've not found them up to much in my experience. A helix HX stomp does a much better job. 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram