Dealer/sales rep 'Facts' you've been told

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 584
    I bought my lad a PRS SE Standard a couple of years ago as he wanted a silver guitar.  It came with a tag with the name of the guy who was supposed to have set it up at the factory with some kind of proud statement that it had been set up to perfection and shouldn't need any additional fettling.

It wasn't a disastrous set-up by any means but the action was quite high, especially for small hands, and I couldn't get it lower without introducing choking so I sent it to my tech who did fettle it to perfection.  A good fret dress later and it does now play very well, but you have to question the spurious bollocks that manufacturers and retailers spout.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 1126
    It's yer genuine authenticity sir, yes siree!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9298
    Why would you get a shop to set it up if you have to travel back to the shop? I would far rather just buy the instrument then take it to the bloke who sets up all my guitars for me and who I know will do it to my satisfaction.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 5300
    I once took my Strat to the old Andy’s shop in Denmark Street for a refret. Their guitar tech spent  about 15 minutes telling me that Strats were terrible guitars, how Leo had got the design so wrong and I really should have bought a Gibson. 
    4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    boogieman said:
    I once took my Strat to the old Andy’s shop in Denmark Street for a refret. Their guitar tech spent  about 15 minutes telling me that Strats were terrible guitars, how Leo had got the design so wrong and I really should have bought a Gibson. 
    He was right, but you didn't need to be told that at the time ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 1054
    Why would you get a shop to set it up if you have to travel back to the shop? I would far rather just buy the instrument then take it to the bloke who sets up all my guitars for me and who I know will do it to my satisfaction.
    To save 70 quid?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    thegummy said:
    To save 70 quid?
    Well, yes a return visit to the shop won't rush you £70 unless you have to take time off work to do it. I just prefer to get a chap I know & trust to fettle my guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 5300
    boogieman said:
    He was right, but you didn't need to be told that at the time ;)
    Good enough for Jimi, Jeff Beck, SRV, Dave Gilmour, Rory, Hank etc etc etc though.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 1546
    edited December 4
    boogieman said:
    boogieman said:
    He was right, but you didn't need to be told that at the time
    Good enough for Jimi, Jeff Beck, SRV, Dave Gilmour, Rory, Hank etc etc etc though. 
    All secret les Paul players. In fact, a store rep once told me they all played R8s 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • baldybaldy Frets: 89
    It doesn"t need a set up, or I wouldn"t have left the shop with it.
    I have played it for nearly a week now & all I have done is just lower the action very slightly myself to suit me, everything else is fine.
    The point of my post was that what PMT told me was both laughable & untrue.
    The shop I bought the guitar from were honest & far more sensible.
    I had half an hour playing the guitar in the shop & their suggestion that I brought with me what I actually would be using at home made perfect sense.
    Also their suggestion that I may be better off playing it for a few weeks, bearing in mind it played great, & then see if I wanted anything changed made sense to me.
    Any set up work is free & as I have never had a Floyd before & asked a lot of questions about changing strings & re-tuning their offer to bring the guitar back for it"s first string change & they would go through a string change/tune with me for free was again sensible, IMO.
    The experience was completely the opposite of PMT.
    The shop I bought the Charvel from was A Strings in Pontypridd, South Wales, & based on my, admittedly limited experience, I would recommend them.
    It was my second bad experience with PMT & there will not be a third in a hurry.

• I once stood and waited while a GuitarGuitar employee warmed up the valves on a THR10 I later bought. I just went along with it
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 1054
    I once stood and waited while a GuitarGuitar employee warmed up the valves on a THR10 I later bought. I just went along with it
    lol did he specifically say valves or just thought the amp had to warm up?

If so, I wonder if he actually thought it has them or if it was just a sales lie
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9689
    terada said:
    boogieman said:
    boogieman said:
    Good enough for Jimi, Jeff Beck, SRV, Dave Gilmour, Rory, Hank etc etc etc though. 
    All secret les Paul players. In fact, a store rep once told me they all played R8s 
    Ahem.. to my knowledge none of these are photoshopped..! Though I'll grant there's the odd Custom or R6 in there ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thegummy said:
    I once stood and waited while a GuitarGuitar employee warmed up the valves on a THR10 I later bought. I just went along with it
    lol did he specifically say valves or just thought the amp had to warm up?

If so, I wonder if he actually thought it has them or if it was just a sales lie
    He specifically said valves and also pointed out you could see them lighting up :')
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ricorico Frets: 929
    A tech once told me that the narrow-tall frets on Fenders were there so that they could be stoned down to normal fret heights. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 12733
    One rep told me Gibsons were better than Fenders, oh, how I laughed!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 14386
    Jeff at Machinehead told me I'd really like the used Ibanez Talman he had in.

I've still got it, 17 years later, and it is still my favourite guitar. 
    Parachutes are great, for dogs and Frenchmen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1162
    terada said:
    boogieman said:
    boogieman said:
    Ahem.. to my knowledge none of these are photoshopped..! Though I'll grant there's the odd Custom or R6 in there ;)

Yeah, they were just playing them to remind themselves of how crap those funny little guitars with their detachable headstocks and muffly Bumfucker pickups were. Obviously they all recorded the vast bulk of their material on superior Fenders ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Music Ground
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • LewyLewy Frets: 722
    edited December 5
    I took a Collings acoustic for some work to an authorised repairer and when I went to collect it I noticed a gap alone the back edge of the bridge that you could slide a folded piece of paper under easily.

When I pointed it out, the clueless fop behind the counter said “oh yeah that’s really common and totally normal...you even see it on really good guitars like Taylors”. I suggested I get Bill Collings on the phone so they could explain to him how it was normal for his guitars to have gaps in them (this was back when he was with us and he’d totally have taken that call...). So counter boy got the boss from the workshop who to his credit took one look and said “oh that’s odd, we’ll need to sort that out”. But seemingly even the shops with the best reputations have total nobs working in them though sadly.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 1795
    I once told someone a digital model of an amp sounded and felt just like the real thing. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Twitter  |  Instagram  |  YouTube  |  Facebook  |  Website

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 4345
    I once told someone a digital model of an amp sounded and felt just like the real thing. 
    Such a bullshitter ;)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 600
    edited December 6
    skunkwerx said:

Unsure if specific bullshit, but on 3 other guitars my high e string has never slipped through a tuner hole, ever, and I've never had to use any locking or wrapping methods. 

£50 + parts on an own brand guitar, of which Andertons could use their professional relationship with Grover to atleast help a customer out to replace the one tuner under a lifetime warranty, is bullshit though. 

I'd happily pay the labour of fitting it of course.

But, though I've never had this problem before over 15 years and approx 7 guitars, I'm open to the collective widsom and mileage of thefretboard to brand this Bullshit or Not Bullshit. Lol. 
    I bet he's going to be Cross when he sees this.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13736
    Well, that alone has put me off ever buying anything from them.  It's a shame wassisface from Andertons isn't on here anymore to answer for this.
    Never Argue With Idiots - They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3462
    terada said:
    'Yeah, they actually add cabinet rattle and the swooshing noise in to make them more vintage correct, some people don't like it but they are meant to be like that'
    In that case, perhaps, they should charge the "vintage correct" price too? Would one hundred Dollars cover that, Mister Rep(tile)? ;)
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 1455
    baldy said:
    I ended up buying from an independent who spent the time to chat with me over a coffee & then suggested I came back with what I was going to play the guitar through at home, an amplifi TT, for a proper demo of the guitar as they didn"t have one & it would show me exactly what sound I would get.
    I went back a few days later armed with my TT & played the guitar through it, accompanied by another coffee.
    There was no pressure to buy, although I did buy the guitar.
    I was offered the option of having it set up before I took it away or taking it away as it was & returning when I wanted when they would set it up, if I thought anything needed altering, & show me how to change the strings & re-tune it as it is my first Floyd equipped guitar.
    Cost, just the set of strings.
    I had never even been in this store before but they will get my custom from now on.
    Good on you.

The problem those type of stores have is that they also get a stream of people coming in and trying stuff and then saying "can you match this price I've found on the internet".

Whilst it's easy to moan about dealers, I've also seen some quite remarkable behaviour from customers too......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 3948

A sales assistant at a branch of a big chain that has already been mentioned above (might have something to do with the wrong time of the month) once told me that a regular production line PRS was a limited edition, with the implication that if I didn't buy it then and there I might not be able to find another.

Never been back since.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 2071
    crunchman said:

A sales assistant at a branch of a big chain that has already been mentioned above (might have something to do with the wrong time of the month) once told me that a regular production line PRS was a limited edition, with the implication that if I didn't buy it then and there I might not be able to find another.

Never been back since.

Same chain told me LTD blues junior (which is lacquered tweed) meant limited and only a few would be available.
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 18
    When I returned a brand new Fender Super Champ amp that had some bad cabinet buzz and rattle, I was told it was because I was playing a telecaster. 'That's the telecaster twang' I was told. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 1626
    NelsonP said:
    skunkwerx said:

Unsure if specific bullshit, but on 3 other guitars my high e string has never slipped through a tuner hole, ever, and I've never had to use any locking or wrapping methods. 

£50 + parts on an own brand guitar, of which Andertons could use their professional relationship with Grover to atleast help a customer out to replace the one tuner under a lifetime warranty, is bullshit though. 

I'd happily pay the labour of fitting it of course.

But, though I've never had this problem before over 15 years and approx 7 guitars, I'm open to the collective widsom and mileage of thefretboard to brand this Bullshit or Not Bullshit. Lol. 
    I bet he's going to be Cross when he sees this.
    Ah damn it now I feel bad.. 

Should this be deleted modmins?!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...