Launch Windows with different windows-services profiles?

On my laptop PC I would like to be able to choose between different window-services configs.
i.e. When running a DAW session I would like to run the PC off the network and therefore have all the network related services turned off as well as other not needed services like the print-spooler, plug and play etc.
In other sessions I would like these normal service up and running.

Is there a way to be able to save these configuration setting and then choose which one to apply when booting Windows?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    You could do that with a script and associate it with a seperate user profile on the pc.

Though on a modern PC the resources used by those services are relatively microscopic, so I wouldn't bother.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Are you wanting to do this because you're having DPC latency spikes? Or just to generally optimise the laptop for music? Back in the old days I used to dual boot Windows with music/general purpose installs but haven't for some time. 
    A quick google gives https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-dual-boot-windows-3633084/ so I guess it's still fairly straightforward. 
    A lot of issues with Windows laptops and music software seem to be caused by power saving routines to maximise battery life so a big part of optimisation is reducing these as much as possible. For further details I recommend Robin Vincent's Molten Music channel on Youtube, in which he does not suggest disabling services. It would be interesting to see if you got a significant performance increase by doing so. I understand that network drivers can cause an issue as well.

Let us know how you get on if you go ahead.
  • ^^Yep. Dual-boot the same OS.

I do this for DAW use. That way you set the PC up exactly how you want it.

You can use the same DAW files in the 'normal' boot of course. I do that for quick DAW work when I'm doing other things, saving the DAW boot for lower latency live recording.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    ^^Yep. Dual-boot the same OS.

I do this for DAW use. That way you set the PC up exactly how you want it.

You can use the same DAW files in the 'normal' boot of course. I do that for quick DAW work when I'm doing other things, saving the DAW boot for lower latency live recording.
    Just as a matter of interest, how much lower do you get the latency?
  • YearofthegoatYearofthegoat Frets: 31
    edited July 2019
    Sorry didn't see the reply.

I can get the latency down to 48smp with my GT100, 64smp with the U44 - both 2ms input and 6 and 8ms RTL.

The latency on the 'normal' boot typically needs 128smp and up, but really it's more that with the normal boot there are other things going on that can knab the CPU - Windows Update, network driver, power savings driver etc. So the audio interfaces can run at the same latency but it's more likely to be affected by everything else.

LatencyMon, for example, can report 'difficulties', which just means things get interrupted (pardon the pun), whereas they don't (as much anyway, can't disable everything) on the DAW-boot OS. I can run LatencyMon forever without it throwing up an error message.

HTH