Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Opinions on the best SS Amps?

What's Hot
I have a couple of good valve amps, but I keep coming back to a solid states from time to time and still surprise me how good they can be....

Would be interested to hear which solid state amps are worth a look, old and new.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    edited December 2018
    Bluguitar Amp1 awesome, not all solid state as has a nanotube but my favourite amp at the moment .
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28013
    JC120, obvs. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Of ones ive actually heard...

Orange Crush Pro - Sounds like an Orange. Looks to be well built.

Yamaha THR100 - Lots of decent tones. Hard to make it sound bad.

Roland Blues Cube Stage - Lovely cleans. Sweet bluesy lead tones.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Played a Session Amp in the summer. Absolutely lovely. 
  • The recent Session amps are really excellent.

I use a DV Mark 50W micro head. Less than 2kg and has a lovely responsive clean channel which I use as a pedal  platform. They were big in the bass world and have moved into guitar amplification.
  • Rocktron Velocity 120.

OK, so it's just a power amp, but it behaves - to the ears - astonishingly like a valve power amp, and with my X88R clone in front it sounds...like a great valve amp, if I'm honest.

More than worth the £30 I paid for it :D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited December 2018
    Well under the radar: early '80s Yamaha G-100 and G-50 combos.

Ideally the 1x12 (the 2x12 is proper heavy) and also series 2, not series 3 (which had coloured knobs).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Quilter. The little 101r head is a cracking little amp.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2018
    Orange CR 120 head -- a game changer for me.  Been gigging weekly with it for a couple of years.  If it dies I'd get another.

And as of today a little Quilter micro block -- which is only a back up amp but in rehearsal tonight I was impressed -- it's perfect for the job.  I'd love to try the "proper" Quilter amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    I just got this guy. One of the coolest amps I've seen in a while, plus it has two separate preamps so two band members can share it! Has a nice 1x12 speaker with non-standard fixing, made in Leipzig. Pretty loud, nice and clean most of the way up.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frownfrown Frets: 32
    Yamaha SR50 112 are great clean amps. Proper spring reverb too.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    edited December 2018
    The old Sessionette 75 is a cracking amp also don’t rule out old Pevey Bandits etc as a pedal platform 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Quilter 101 Mini Reverb.
  • Bluguitar Amp1 awesome, not all solid state as has a nanotube but my favourite amp at the moment .
    Mine too. Great live players platform that cuts through the mix. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    sweepy said:
    The old Sessionette 75 is a cracking amp also don’t rule out old Pevey Bandits etc as a pedal platform 
    I'm not a big fan of the Sessionette overdrive sound, but they're also a good pedal platform.

There are actually a very large number of older solid-state amps that fit the bill if you're going to get the overdrive sounds from pedals or an outboard modeller - most are reliable, have a fairly full clean sound with powerful enough EQ to dial it in, loud enough (above about 50W anyway) and extremely cheap to buy now.

I saw a chap using an old Laney Linebacker like that not long ago - sounded fine, and you won't need to pay even £100 for one.

That Vermona looks very cool :). They're the same company that made some of the Sound City and Londoner badged amps in the later 70s and early 80s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

I saw a chap using an old Laney Linebacker like that not long ago - sounded fine, and you won't need to pay even £100 for one.
    A Laney Linebacker 30 combo (with a 10" speaker, I think) was my first ever guitar amp back in the 80s. It sounded absolutely awful with just about anything...except the Boss DS-1 my parents got me for my birthday that year. Coincidentally, it's also the only amp I ever thought made the DS-1 sound good.
    <space for hire>
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    My favourites would be:

Trace Elliot Super Tramp - i toured with these in the early 2000's, they were always a huge sounding amp. 

Marshall VS100r - it does have a valve in it, but i don't think it does very much. Quality amps though!

Peavey Supreme XL - The head version of a Bandit with a few up market features thrown in. Incredible for gains!

Line 6 Duoverb - a commercial failure but probably the best Line 6 product before Helix.

• AMT Stonehead is great, covers a wide range of sounds really well, and is a very small but robust head.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245

Trace Elliot Super Tramp - i toured with these in the early 2000's, they were always a huge sounding amp.
    They do sound great, but you must have been one of the few people who didn't have trouble with them. A rehearsal studio I work for bought half a dozen of them at the time - every one died within a few months. Once they were out of warranty I modded the surviving ones to make them a bit more reliable.

timmysoft said:

Marshall VS100r - it does have a valve in it, but i don't think it does very much. Quality amps though!
    The valve does make a difference - the distortion is done with diodes and LEDs, but the valve drives the tone stack on the dirty channels and acts as a sort of post-preamp enhancer on the clean. They're not bad quality and do sound great, but also have a couple of design faults - fairly easily fixed though, and still common in practice rooms.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:

They do sound great, but you must have been one of the few people who didn't have trouble with them. A rehearsal studio I work for bought half a dozen of them at the time - every one died within a few months. Once they were out of warranty I modded the surviving ones to make them a bit more reliable.

timmysoft said:

The valve does make a difference - the distortion is done with diodes and LEDs, but the valve drives the tone stack on the dirty channels and acts as a sort of post-preamp enhancer on the clean. They're not bad quality and do sound great, but also have a couple of design faults - fairly easily fixed though, and still common in practice rooms.

I had three super tramp heads, never had a problem with any of them!