Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BBC watership down remake

What's Hot
Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1527
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
Anyone else looking forward to this? I know people are moaning about the animation quality on twitter, but it is only the BBC, not Disney. It has taken them years to make. Hoping it's closer to the book than the original version.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    My autistic son is transfixed by the trailer, he is determined to watch it.  Bearing in mind we had to leave the cinema after 10 minutes of the power rangers movie because it was too scary, I'm trying to talk him out of it..
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Why bother ?  This was my immediate reaction.  Will probably watch it as it won't be so antiseptic, was never really taken by the book, so II guess I'm not the prime target ausience ;)

His Dark Materials is totally different situation with Disney et al ducking the religious right, good old Auntie for biting the bullet !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286
    The original was so depressing for a kids film.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• I love the original animation and the book in their own right. I was watching the new Lion King trailer last week and I actually said to the Mrs "the only thing that would be more exciting than the Lion King would be a new Watership Down remake with realistic rabbits". I'm stoked
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    A bit of a parable for Brexit.
  • The original film was quite horrific. It wasn't a kid's movie as my mate found to his cost when he left his 5 and 7 years olds watching it.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I've never seen the original, nor read the books, as I've heard its kinda depressing.. 

Though there was a band from Brighton back a few years ago who came together to write 3 albums, and 3 albums only, then disappear. 

Those 3 albums were all about or inspired by Watership Down. The band was called 'the fall of Efrafa'. 

If you like such things as cult of luna, isis, wolves in the throne room, pelican, you know, long droney songs with screaming vocals. Kinda like Russian Circles type music but maybe heavier with lyrics about the subject. 

I thought it was bloody awesome. 

Now if they made a really dark version of the book, and set it to that music... well the result would be highly dark and depressive but I think it would be somewhat of a masterpiece haha. 

I know the author passed recently, maybe thats among the reasons for a remake? 

Then again, Rabbits are always in fashion with kids films ha. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I don't wanna be crying like I did over the original..
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    It's not a depressing film at all it's beautiful. 
    The original film was quite horrific. It wasn't a kid's movie as my mate found to his cost when he left his 5 and 7 years olds watching it.
    I would agree it's not only a kids film, but it's perfectly fine to show kids this. I was that kind of age when I saw it I think. It's a much more rewarding experience for kids than a lot of the really hyper active smiley maniacal grinning stuff that is churned out a lot of the time these days. Yes it has sad moments but I've never understood why kids have to be denied experiencing sadness as part of their growing up - with films/books like this along with the sadness they'll also experience empathy, maybe more respect for animals and the impact of humans on them, and I vidily remember discussing what happens after death with my parents following that famous scene.

The scene with the soul leaving the body of the rabbit alone is worth it with the original, beautifully done. I suppose being a different take on it they won't be able to use Bright Eyes though?
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    How do they animate the myxomatosis?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    deano said:
    How do they animate the myxomatosis?
    Dancing maggot chorus.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Kinda the Oh Calcutta! version of Peter Rabbit.
  • The CGI looks rather poor and last gen.

• The CGI looks rather poor and last gen.

Two DJs want to go to the cinema to see a film that they've heard is the best this year. One asks the other, "But who is the projectionist?"
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Never read the book and never liked the animation for the old film so I didn't watch it. The whole thing just doesn't appeal to me at all. If they are going to remake anything they should do Animal farm and get the ending right 2nd time around.
  • axisus said:
    Never read the book and never liked the animation for the old film so I didn't watch it. The whole thing just doesn't appeal to me at all. If they are going to remake anything they should do Animal farm and get the ending right 2nd time around.
    There was an interesting program on the other night about British animation that had a section on the Animal Farm adaptation...(actually the first every UK produced feature length animated film)....and a bit about why they had to change the ending (it was the CIA)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0btynjg
  • The original film was quite horrific. It wasn't a kid's movie as my mate found to his cost when he left his 5 and 7 years olds watching it.
    For a generation brought up on things like Chocky, The Railway Children etc, it wasn't really that bad. Yes, it was scary, but it didn't seem out-of-the-ordinary scary when I saw it because all of the other stuff I'd seen up to that point had me pretty used to the idea that the real world isn't a very nice place...and the news was a nightly reminder that violence is pretty widespread wherever there are people.

The one that got me as a kid was The Amazing Mr Blunden. The idea of being burned to death terrified me for years.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    edited December 2018
    The Plague Dogs film based on the Richard Adams book was really very depressing to be honest, do watch it though. It made Watership down seem quite Disney.

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• I've never seen it or read the book or feel motivated to do so. My knowledge of it is primarily based on this 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    The bloody theme tune scarred me for life- never seen the film!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1