Flogging a dead horse?

What's Hot

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 386
    The Manchester University student union hasn’t banned clapping in favour of ‘jazz hands’

“The policy was proposed in order to encourage the use of British Sign Language (BSL) clapping during our democratic events to make those events more accessible and inclusive for all. We are not banning audible clapping – we understand that some people may be more comfortable to continue using it.”

They said the SU is not applying the rule to events held there and is simply “to be encouraged at the Union’s democratic events” which are a relatively small number over the university year.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 331
    I thought this had been debunked and that the actual statement was more along the lines of... as veganism becomes more and more popular, phrases like flogging a dead horse will fall out of favor and into disuse.
    Shhhh, don’t ruin it! Let everyone have a good rant about political correctness gone mad first!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 314
    One of the best Stroke/TIA detectors, and something I've used numerous times over the years, is to ask the patient to say "The early bird catches the worm". Wonder what PETA think about that when lives are literally in the balance.
    Cheers,

Michael.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 12733
    Kilgore said:
    PETA can say what they like but fine words butter no parsnips.
    Butter is an animal product so I find it extremely offensive.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 2210
    I don't even have the time to be offended by those phrases.......I've got bigger fish to fry.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 919
    Shhhh, don’t ruin it! Let everyone have a good rant about political correctness gone mad first!
    “Political correctness gone man” is a term often used to make light of something we should perhaps actually be concerned about.

I started this thread as a genuine enquiry of vegans/vegetarians as to whether they find those phrases offensive. Those that have responded do not, so far, seem to find them so. If they did I would respect their view.

My personal concern is that of certain groups or individuals wishing to impose their ideologies on others. It seems to me that is what PETA is doing in this instance but I’m open to other opinions.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 5082
    The original PETA website was acquired by an organisation called People Eating Tasty Animals.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 2170
    Some people find “fuck off” offensive, but it still gets used daily.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9298
    ESBlonde said:
    Letting the cat out of the bag refers to the whip called the cat of nine tails being pulled from it's stowage bag to thrash a sailor, it has nothing to do with poor animals but everything to do with people abuse.
    I wonder what these people would do if we went back to riding/working horses to save the planet from the internal combustion engine?

does it? I thought it was about when you bought a pig in a poke, then got it home to discover you'd bought something most people wouldn't eat and couldn't be grown enough to feed a large family even if the would eat it
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4912
    edited December 6
    Do you think one day this tedious everyone-offended-by-everything phase of history will pass, and your descendants (I won't have any) will look back and say "gosh, what a bunch of effete, humourless tossers"...? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 4140
    Have you seen inside the PETA office though? Hardly room to swing a cat...

(Rimshot... cymbal!)
    It might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm playing my guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 331
    Philly_Q said:
    Do you think one day this tedious everyone-offended-by-everything phase of history will pass, and your descendants (I won't have any) will look back and say "gosh, what a bunch of effete, humourless tossers"...? 
    Does that include the people who get offended by other people getting offended?
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 1630
    Jimbro66 said:
    According to animal rights organisation PETA we shouldn’t be using common phrases like:

Flogging a dead horse.
    More than one way to skin a cat
    Kill two birds with one stone
    Bringing home the bacon
    Put all your eggs in one basket
    Take the bull by the horns
    Let the cat out of the bag
    Using someone as a Guinea Pig
    Hold your horses
    Opening up a can of worms

Peta want’s to see them removed from our language because vegans see them as offensive.

They are very commonly used expressions which, I have to say, I use without a thought for the literal meaning because they are all used metaphorically.

Do we have any vegans here? Are you dismayed by these common idioms?

I think we can count on Emp to be, but anyone else?

Source? Let me guess, the daily (insert comic name here).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4912
    Philly_Q said:
    Does that include the people who get offended by other people getting offended?
    You've got me there....
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2726
    edited December 6
    I don't use "kill two birds with one stone."
    Much prefer, "feed two birds with one seed."
    No problems about using patients and students as guinea pigs. 
    EDIT -- I don't think I could ever use guinea pigs as guinea pigs.  I really like rodents. 

robgilmo said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    According to animal rights organisation PETA we shouldn’t be using common phrases like:

Flogging a dead horse.
    Bringing home the bacon
    Hold your horses

Peta want’s to see them removed from our language because vegans see them as offensive.

They are very commonly used expressions which, I have to say, I use without a thought for the literal meaning because they are all used metaphorically.

Er, no

https://mobile.twitter.com/peta/status/1070066047414345729
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 7370
    ESBlonde said:
    Letting the cat out of the bag refers to the whip called the cat of nine tails being pulled from it's stowage bag to thrash a sailor, it has nothing to do with poor animals but everything to do with people abuse.

^ Correct - as does refering to a room being too small to swing a cat - nothing to do with felines, all to do with whips

According to QI nothing to do with whips and all to do with cats (although with many old phrases it's often unclear where it actually originates). 

I feel PETA have pretty much ( deliberately?) misunderstood why we find racist/ sexist/ homophobic/ ageist/ ableist sayings offensive, although I guess it’s an interesting talking point. 
    Out of the ones in the OP I’d probably avoid bringing home the bacon but not particularly for vegans. 
    Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.

I feel PETA have pretty much ( deliberately?) misunderstood why we find racist/ sexist/ homophobic/ ageist/ ableist sayings offensive, although I guess it’s an interesting talking point. 
    Out of the ones in the OP I’d probably avoid bringing home the bacon but not particularly for vegans. 
    It seems that some folk with a particular axe to grind are hijacking very worthy high-profile campaigns and distorting their intent to suit their own agenda. This seems to be particularly true of those exploiting the very serious core matters addressed by the #MeToo campaign to promote their own rather frivolous grievances. IMO of course.

Does anyone say “bringing home the bacon”? It’s not an expression I use. Maybe an American idiom?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 2613
    robgilmo said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Flogging a dead horse.
    Bringing home the bacon
    Hold your horses

I always think it's more worthwhile knowing what was said rather than who reported what was said. As long as it's an accurate report.
    Conformity is the new Rebellion.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 137
    There seems to be a tendency in certain sectors of the press (ahem!) to promote the impression that the world is full of unreasonably and excessively sensitive people, just waiting to be offended.

Let's turn this round. Rather than worrying about offending people, why not just try to be polite to them. If you realise you've got it wrong, just apologise and learn for next time.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 217
    axisus said:
    There should be a word to describe when your worthy cause is overrun by vacuous, self promoting, parasitical idiots.
    There is; it's called "Momentum"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9298
    Flogging a dead horse = bdsm + necrophilia + bestiality
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 179
    Is spanking the monkey still OK?  Asking for a friend.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 7370
    Jimbro66 said:

It seems that some folk with a particular axe to grind are hijacking very worthy high-profile campaigns and distorting their intent to suit their own agenda. This seems to be particularly true of those exploiting the very serious core matters addressed by the #MeToo campaign to promote their own rather frivolous grievances. IMO of course.

Does anyone say “bringing home the bacon”? It’s not an expression I use. Maybe an American idiom?
    Not an expression I use although I’ve heard it ( goes back to Chaucer apparently).  They’re all fairly old fashioned phrases that would die out much quicker if PETA weren’t drawing attention to them perhaps. 
    Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5967
    We can still use 'Pull a Rabbit Out The Hat' then seemingly??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Priceless :D 

Perhaps the perfect comment to end this thread.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1162
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13736
    hootsmon said:
    Emp likes opening up a can of worms especially with a Guinness or two
    I can’t stand Guiness, but - and this is true -  I did dream the other night that I was eating worms from a tin and thought to myself “ugh.. this is gross...  why have you been eating these all these years” and spat them out.
    Never Argue With Idiots - They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.