Boss DD-7 or DD-2/DSD-2/DSD-3/long chip DD-3

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
Having trouble choosing between the these Boss delays. Help me decide? will the Analog/digital flavours of the DD-2 etc do it it for me or shall I just go for the all bells and whistles of the DD-7? Most importantly, It’s got to be easy to dial in, but also nice sounding, Oh! and I don’t mind the very short loop time on the DD-2 I quite like that it’s very, very short for the occasional sampling, just a bit concerned about longevity of the DD-2 and others. Help me decide.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Both :).

I've flipped between the two several times, but I currently have a DD-2 and no plans to swap back unless I get a 7 *as well*. The 2 just sounds better, despite its very limited functionality by comparison.

I have come across a couple of dead ones with unrepairable chip failures, but I think they're common enough that it's still a tiny sample size.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    If it had to be either/or then I'd go with a long chip delay - it always sounds just right. But @ICBM is correct; 'both' is the best answer - the DD-7 has so many different (and useful) sounds plus the loop function.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5157
    DD-2 is my only delay pedal :)
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I've got a DSD-2 which I'm very happy with because of its lovely sound (and the sample function is fun because you can use the time knob to alter the pitch of the sample being played back), but I'd gladly have a DD-7 alongside it for the sheer feature set and the lovely digital clarity. So yes, the answer is 'both'. But the older long chip ones do have a wonderful sound. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • I had a long-chip DD-2 but it didn’t play well with the FX loop in my amp. The DD-7 worked much better.

Not sure of the exact reasons for this though, but might be worth looking into depending on how you want to set it up.

Both sound ace - I’ve not been able to replicate the DD-7 sounds properly on my DD-500 yet (probably because I don’t understand all the EQ options)
  • Thanks for comments, Would love to buy the two, but I’ve got to be a little bit careful with my overdraft over the next few months.

I already have the excellent dm2-w and. Big box DMM on my board which cover the analog and great slap back sounds, but I find myself wanting a boss digital delay for early Mogwai stuff.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    For slapback I reckon the 2. For long delays tap tempo is a game changer so 7. I actually found a use for the reverse setting on the 7! Quite handy to have a few options, you never know what you'll end up using
  • I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused,  I thought the answer was always to get a Helix??!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61 said:
    I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused,  I thought the answer was always to get a Helix??!!
    Fuck the Helix!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    I had a DD-3 for ten years and it was great, incredibly simple, easy to dial in and a fantastic sound.   I'd personally get one of those again if I needed a delay again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    dano said:
    I had a DD-3 for ten years and it was great, incredibly simple, easy to dial in and a fantastic sound.   I'd personally get one of those again if I needed a delay again.
    Definitely.  Several months back had a stressful gig where there was just something wrong in the first set.  Turned out to be one of my fancy delay pedals was self-oscillating like crazy and although turned "off" was really screwing with my sound.  Point is:
    After that I took the pair of fancy delays off the board and dug out my old DD-3.
    As you say:  it is great, incredibly simple to set and see what you've set, and it sounds fantastic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Another big DD-3 fan here, it always did anything I wanted from a delay and always sounded good.  I've been recently thinking of picking one up again, I think the fabled long chip delay I've got (it's a DSD-3, not an actual DD-2, but same sound) needs to go, I like digital digital delay :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I have a DD3 on each of my boards :) had my first for over 15 years now
  • Do you reckon the DD-7 is still worth it though? How does it compare to the DD-3 none long chip?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2018
    EDIT -- oops, just saw it was a chip question!
  • There’s s long chip DD-3 on the bay but it’s priced at £129 a little overpriced when I can pick up spanking brand new DD-7 from Andertons for £116? - so so tempted by that long chip though
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    There’s s long chip DD-3 on the bay but it’s priced at £129 a little overpriced when I can pick up spanking brand new DD-7 from Andertons for £116? - so so tempted by that long chip though
    Wait for a DSD-2 or 3. They turn up fairly regularly for £70 - 80. Same chip and I prefer them, something about the sweep of the time pot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    There’s s long chip DD-3 on the bay but it’s priced at £129 a little overpriced when I can pick up spanking brand new DD-7 from Andertons for £116? - so so tempted by that long chip though
    Wait for a DSD-2 or 3. They turn up fairly regularly for £70 - 80. Same chip and I prefer them, something about the sweep of the time pot.
    Would be good to get a mint boxed DSD-2 or DSD-3 any that do crop up seem to be pretty beaten up. I've got these two pedals saved on my Ebay alert list.  
  • My main delay of choice is the DM2W but the DD7 adds such a great clarity and sparkle that it compliments the Analog DM2 brilliantly.  

Well worth the money, especially as it fulfils my looper demands, adds the dotted notes (Pink Floyd U2 esq.), Tap tempo, Modulation, Reverse etc etc.

Love it.

Cheers
  • My main delay of choice is the DM2W but the DD7 adds such a great clarity and sparkle that it compliments the Analog DM2 brilliantly.  

Well worth the money, especially as it fulfils my looper demands, adds the dotted notes (Pink Floyd U2 esq.), Tap tempo, Modulation, Reverse etc etc.

Love it.

Cheers
    Thanks for that, I have a DM-2w too,  good to hear that they work well together, Fueling the GAS for a DD-7!