Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bloodhound axed!

What's Hot
Arse!

Sadly the desire to be fastest just doesn't have the return on investment these days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46480342
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Such a shame to fail when they've gone as far as the car being built and the test track made  :/
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Looks like it would take up a few parking spaces:

See the source image
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28330
    I'm in two minds on this sort of thing. On one hand it seems like a colossal waste of money by men who still want to be kids. on the other hand ............. "yay! we're still kids you know!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • They could have asked Boris, he has £350M a week savings after Brexit.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Looks more like a rocket on wheels than a car to me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    I'm in two minds on this sort of thing. On one hand it seems like a colossal waste of money by men who still want to be kids. on the other hand ............. "yay! we're still kids you know!"
    There's been a massive educational programme running alongside the record breaking attempt. Inspiring young kids to go into engineering (STEM is the term they're using for science, technology, engineering and maths these days).

My kids have been involved in a few Bloodhound related projects, and as we live near Coventy they're very familiar with Thrust 2 and Thrust SSC (both housed at the Cov Motor Museum).

I guess this'll teach them that no matter how brave and forward thinking a project is, if it's not financially sound then it'll falter.
  • Mark1960 said:
    Looks more like a rocket on wheels than a car to me!
    Well that's pretty much how you make a supersonic car
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    I'm surprised that for just £25 million someone like Branson or that git from Tesla, who are both publicity-seeking addicts, didn't want to help it. Just for them to see their names on the side would have been worth it for them both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • £25m short? That's probably for the fuel used in four runs on the 18km track. :/
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28330
    axisus said:
    There's been a massive educational programme running alongside the record breaking attempt. Inspiring young kids to go into engineering (STEM is the term they're using for science, technology, engineering and maths these days).

My kids have been involved in a few Bloodhound related projects, and as we live near Coventy they're very familiar with Thrust 2 and Thrust SSC (both housed at the Cov Motor Museum).

I guess this'll teach them that no matter how brave and forward thinking a project is, if it's not financially sound then it'll falter.
    Yeah, I was just being flippant, there's usually a lot of good stuff that comes out of this sort of thing. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    axisus said:

Oddly enough one of these blood hound education projects was at my son's school today then I had to tell him they stopped doing it now, maybe should have kept my mouth shut.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    It seems a shame, given that this sort of thing does inspire new generations of high-tech engineers, but on the other hand I can think of more worthwhile ways of spending the same sort of money on the same general sort of technology, since really it's designed to do something of no practical purpose. Going that fast while sticking to the artificial constraint of staying on the ground is just making things difficult for yourself for no good reason really.

The UK once had a small space programme until it was cancelled by the government of the day... I think to this day we're the only nation which has developed a capability to launch a satellite and then voluntarily given it up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28097
    ICBM said:

The UK once had a small space programme until it was cancelled by the government of the day... I think to this day we're the only nation which has developed a capability to launch a satellite and then voluntarily given it up.
    We do make some exceptional satellites though. Teeny tiny environmental remote sensing ones in particular.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    ICBM said:

We do make some exceptional satellites though. Teeny tiny environmental remote sensing ones in particular.
    We also make thick cut Oxford Marmalade, which is among mankind's most important inventions. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12359
    deano said:
    I'm surprised that for just £25 million someone like Branson or that git from Tesla, who are both publicity-seeking addicts, didn't want to help it. Just for them to see their names on the side would have been worth it for them both.
    Yup I was thinking the same, £25 million is probably peanuts to these guys. Bet there’s a few premier league footballers who could stump up the dough too. 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited December 2018
    boogieman said:
    deano said:
    Yup I was thinking the same, £25 million is probably peanuts to these guys. Bet there’s a few premier league footballers who could stump up the dough too. 
    Not enough space inside to drive a WAG to Primark.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been following the posts on it for a couple of years now. It's a great project, a showpiece for British engineering, and has real educational value. To see them stopping for the lack of a lousy quarter million is heartbreaking. I really hope somebody (Dyson? Branson?) steps up and rescues the project.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12359
    I've been following the posts on it for a couple of years now. It's a great project, a showpiece for British engineering, and has real educational value. To see them stopping for the lack of a lousy quarter million is heartbreaking. I really hope somebody (Dyson? Branson?) steps up and rescues the project.
    It’s 25 million they need not 250,000, but still not a great deal of money in the great scheme of things. 
  • boogieman said:
    I've been following the posts on it for a couple of years now. It's a great project, a showpiece for British engineering, and has real educational value. To see them stopping for the lack of a lousy quarter million is heartbreaking. I really hope somebody (Dyson? Branson?) steps up and rescues the project.
    It’s 25 million they need not 250,000, but still not a great deal of money in the great scheme of things. 
    D'oh - my bad. But still, some fecker should give them the money. They're pushing technical boundaries and going round telling schoolkids about it and generally making high-level engineering sexy. If that doesn't deserve funding in a country that is supposedly trying to promote STEM subjects, then I don't know what does.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6127
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It seems a shame, given that this sort of thing does inspire new generations of high-tech engineers, but on the other hand I can think of more worthwhile ways of spending the same sort of money on the same general sort of technology, since really it's designed to do something of no practical purpose. Going that fast while sticking to the artificial constraint of staying on the ground is just making things difficult for yourself for no good reason really.

It’s exactly this sort of weird venture that yields the best results.... the initial aim might not be achieved but several tech developments drop out of it.

bloodhound has had several key technologies developed and enhanced to meet its needs. These include :

1. Extremely controllable rockets. These are throttable, safe and green hybrid rockets which is a world first (especially the safe and green part). These will have massive implications for the space and military.

2. The wheels rotate at 10000+rpm so the risk of fatigue, creep and expansion were extremely high. The alloy and machining techniques used to create wheels to survive these forces are cutting edge and world leading....they will be used again certainly.

3.laser melting addictive construction was used and perfected to make the nose cone out of titanium powder in an intricate shape. This tech is the future of exotic material manufacturing. 3d printing with titanium alloys!!! 

Anyway, silly projects like this are vital
    for progress. DARPA put tenders out all the time for projects, these have included a submarine that can fly..... the tech that dropped out of the failed project was astounding. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom