Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bloodhound axed!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72202
    I understand what you're getting at, but wouldn't using the same sort of technology to develop something like a reusable launch system for small satellites actually be more useful?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I understand what you're getting at, but wouldn't using the same sort of technology to develop something like a reusable launch system for small satellites actually be more useful?
    In theory yes, but those projects are generally built to a budget and as such they use what works rather than what is needed to excel...I.e. typicaly ,a compromise solution.. pushing the envelope of tech creates a need for equipment that is cutting edge.... bloodhound was one of these things that pushed the envelope.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    edited December 2018
    boogieman said:
    I've been following the posts on it for a couple of years now. It's a great project, a showpiece for British engineering, and has real educational value. To see them stopping for the lack of a lousy quarter million is heartbreaking. I really hope somebody (Dyson? Branson?) steps up and rescues the project.
    It’s 25 million they need not 250,000, but still not a great deal of money in the great scheme of things. 
    D'oh - my bad. But still, some fecker should give them the money. They're pushing technical boundaries and going round telling schoolkids about it and generally making high-level engineering sexy. If that doesn't deserve funding in a country that is supposedly trying to promote STEM subjects, then I don't know what does.
    The car is for sale for £250k. Must be heartbreaking for everyone who worked on it!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    This is a real shame. I've followed this project from the start. To get this far and have to throw in the towel must be devastating.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    A dragster which does real burn-outs!
  • Just don't let Richard Hammond have a go!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2419
    It's a shame, although I don't really view these as "cars", they're basically jets flying at zero altitude. The wheel driven record is what is regard as the land speed record. It's roughly 450mph which is incredible
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    ICBM said:
    We are a contributor towards ESA though (and I don't believe Brexit will stop that), so the launch capability is something we already have access to. Arriane can launch many small satellites as well as providing a heavy lift capability.

Anyway, we are setting up a small-satellite launch facility in Scotland, to capture some of that market... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44841123.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited July 2021
    These things usually fail to get backing because the business plan isn't viable and underplays risk and the maximum downside. 

The investment curve rises steeply as you approach the technology limits.  The classic example, the American XB70 bomber was costing around $11million per test flight as it was trying to achieve Mach 3 for purely poltical reasons. If they'd have settled for 10% less speed they'd have saved huge amount of money.  This car is going to be the same - achieving the transonic and supersonic speed is where the money will be needed.

Saying the car is almost finished is truly nonsense.

Plus, in a world of environmental concerns on social media, who wants to be associated with a fire-breathing superfast car?

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The firm's been bought .. no word yet on what the new owner wants to do.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • This is excellent news. Beeb have it too - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46591860