Marshall 5210 footswitch

DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2358
I just got an old Marshall 5210 combo.

Will the modern two button footswitch with LEDs work with this old combo or do I need to source an old style version?

Thanks, Ddig
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Yes but the LEDs may not work. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Ddigger said:

Will the modern two button footswitch with LEDs work with this old combo or do I need to source an old style version?
    It depends how much current the LEDs draw - if it's enough to pull down the switching voltage and turn on the circuit then the switching won't work. I can't remember whether it does or not with these.

You can try it and see though, there's a series resistor in the switching circuit so it won't blow the LED if it doesn't work. If the LED goes on and off but the amp doesn't change, just cut one of the LED wires - carefully and far enough from the end that you can re-solder it if you ever need to. You could rewire it so the LED is in series if you prefer, which is how Mesa do theirs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2358
    OK, got a hold of a two button switch with LEDs to try  It does work, but the reverb LED comes on when the effect is off.  No matter, it might just be specific to that model of footswitch.

A new two button Marshall footswitch with LEDs is cheaper than one with no LEDs - ?!?

Cleaned up the amp and had a poke about.  Some of the pots are stiff to turn, one is loose on the front plate and I can't get the lock nut to tighten - I can't see if the thread is stripped.  A couple look on the piss slightly and the knobs are not a set, you can see some are different.  I guess some have had a bash at some point.

Everything works, but the reverb is very noisy above half way