Effects with Solid State Amps?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5845
Notably the Roland Cube 80xl.

I'm grabbing one as a back up amp, now that the price is irresistible. It seems the easiest back up option for me for when I eventually go out and Gig. 

It already has most of the effects/O.D's that would suffice for me as a back up. I was just wondering how S.S Amps react with a Wah, Envelope Filter and Compressor Pedals. I use Compressor a lot and am partial to Wah.

Also, me being a tight sod, I'm wondering if the cheaper Cube 40xl would be loud enough for Gigs without micing up?

Any experience on this?

Thanks.

Great Demo here. (In German though)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Wah and comp will be fine. Boost od types can be a bit waspy depending on the pedal and the amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've found with the bandit, it likes od, distortion chorus etc, but (as above) don't try goosing a clean channel into od - use an od to add gain to the clean channel, not push the clean into its own drive if that makes sense.

Other than that, it's great - and using a clean boost into the od channel does work to give more sustain and gain, just like a valve amp.

Doesn't necessarily apply to digital, though... So specifically I can't say, but I can happily recommend a bandit for a nice backup amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader

Doesn't necessarily apply to digital, though... So specifically I can't say, but I can happily recommend a bandit for a nice backup amp.
    Good point. I've found if you put a drive pedal into the front of the Zoom G3 or the Fender Mustang it sounds like fizzy piss even though the simulated digital drives sound fine.
    I'd be getting a Bandit / Frontman / Sessionette / TM60 if I wanted an SS amp.
  • monquixote;216509" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Good point. I've found if you put a drive pedal into the front of the Zoom G3 or the Fender Mustang it sounds like fizzy piss even though the simulated digital drives sound fine.I'd be getting a Bandit / Frontman / Sessionette / TM60 if I wanted an SS amp.
    Yeah, that's my thinking. Digital amps these days are sounding good to my ears though - though I'm not a tone hound - and they'd typically have a selection of drives on board so you may find you wouldn't need them anyway, in a pinch.

Which is, after all, what a backup is about :)

Usefully, the bandit has a high and low input - I typically use the low, which let's me use more dynamic pedals one the clean channel without that horrible distorted top end coming out.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I've found that solid-state amps don't really like traditional overdrive and boost pedals that work well with valve amps - they tend to sound boxy or fizzy - they work much better with 'standalone distortion' type pedals. I haven't really experimented with pedals in front of digital things though. My instinct is that it probably won't work well, but I could be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5845
    Cheers guys. For it's purposes, I probably would stick to the OD tones on the modelling side. I might want to boost my solos in volume terms but I've not checked out every single feature on the amp and don't know whether it has this facility. There will be a way round that anyway, there must be at least one boost pedal that sounds ok with SS.

As long as it takes Comp and Wah ok like MQ said, I'm fine with it.

It's main use, apart from it being a fun toy at home to play with, would be if my Bogner went down during a gig. I would then just whip the Comp and Wah from the P.B and shove them in front of the Cube. I would already have all the other effects on the cube and have rehearsed the songs necessities etc. 

I did like the demos of the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 too, but it's a steal for a Cube at the moment.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Got an emergency MG100HDFX - play it on clean and use TRex Moller for dirt - sounds superb !!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    Check out the blackstar ID core!!!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited April 2014
    Hi J, from my long time experience with a Cube 60 (better sounding in my opinion to the new Cube range), it will take comps, wahs and mods well, although the latter are taken care of by the amp and I've always liked the subtle delay on the amp. When it comes to overdrives, that's when it gets picky. TS and OCD type drives didn't work well and cheapened the sound of the pedal. BOSS ODs like an SD-1 do work well.

What's a shame on these amps is the Blackface is a very useable clean model but it's on the same Model Channel as the Tweed and Metal (5150) and you cannot flick between the 2 - the default clean channel is the JC model, which is nice, if a tad sterile, but like the original it's based on, it does take pedals very well.
    I don't think you can go wrong with one of these amps but if you can pick up an older Cube 60 (plenty loud for gigs plus it can run a 4x12 or bigger cab, if so required), it's warmer and bigger sounding.

Another heads-ups - whilst not an "all-in-one" amp and a little more money, I've heard that PRS are knocking out their SE amps for half price (I think Thomann & Guitar Village, Farnham might be doing the deal but TBC), and their 20w 6v6 head is pretty sweet with 2 separate, fully controllable/no-compromise channels and great build spec.
    Jalapeno said:
    Got an emergency MG100HDFX - play it on clean and use TRex Moller for dirt - sounds superb !!!
    Til the power module goes up in smoke… very common problem with them.

I wouldn't ever rely on one of these as a backup if you have no backup-backup.

Kebabkid said:
    Cube 60
    I know I'm in a minority but I don't like these amps at all. To me it's the other way round - the JC channel is tolerable, and the rest is artificial-sounding. I've also had to fix a couple of them, which doesn't make me like them any more…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Wow, the 80xl is cheap now!

Just a +1 on SS and digital amps not taking od's well ( or at least differently to valve), some worse than others. Peavey are generally the most forgiving, Fender the least ( I have been told they have some kind of limiter on the pre amp )in terms of what has turned up in rehearsal rooms over the years. My limited experience of the Roland COSM models is that they can be a bit fatiguing, by which I mean a bit harsh/ unforgiving, although the idea of a £190 mini jc120 ( and I couldn't fit a real one in my car/ house/ life anyway)is quite appealing.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited April 2014
    ICBM said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Til the power module goes up in smoke… very common problem with them.

I wouldn't ever rely on one of these as a backup if you have no backup-backup.

Kebabkid said:
    Cube 60
    I know I'm in a minority but I don't like these amps at all. To me it's the other way round - the JC channel is tolerable, and the rest is artificial-sounding. I've also had to fix a couple of them, which doesn't make me like them any more…
    Couldn't agree less but as you say, you are in a minority. Both I and an old band mate have had ours from new for over 10 years and have gigged them a lot with no issues whatsoever!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Cube 60 works very well with the Timmy. 
    Kebabkid said:
    Both I and an old band mate have had ours from new for over 10 years and have gigged them a lot with no issues whatsoever!
    To be fair I have only seen two dead ones - both had blown power ICs. They must have made thousands and thousands of them though. I wouldn't say they're unreliable - I was just a bit disappointed in Roland given how bombproof the old JCs were.

Unlike the Marshall MG100DFX where I have long since lost count of the number of blown ones. I won't even accept them for repair any more - it's just not worth the risk of replacing the module and having it die again, and getting the blame and/or having to do it again for free at cost of parts.

viz said:
    Check out the blackstar ID core!!!

I did and you've given me another choice dilemma! They are good little amps too and they have a recording facility, not 100% sure the Cube 80xl has that.

:-??
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    And they're only 90 quid!! How did you find the stereo effect?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited April 2014
    viz;217028" said:
    Twas only a short demo, but that stereo effect sounded huge. I'll have to check out some more in depth demos if it.

I will say, that German channel demoing the Cube in the OP is usually spot on, they were the deal breaker for me buying the Goldfinger. It'll be down to tones rather than features in the end I think. Both good little amps though.

Decisions, decisions.

@-)
  • viz;217028" said:
    Oh my. Might have to get one of those!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Hmm... OD and Distortion pedals into an SS amp. It can get fizzy/waspy if you try to use the pedal like you would with a valve amp - they do react differently
    Use the clean channel, and use your ears to find a sweet spot. If you need more gain, stacking ODs works well but watch your volume levels on the pedals and then marvel when you hit a clean boost pedal that you still have headroom and you'll cut through the mix. It's not rocket science and it certainly isn't impossible to get a great sound. You just have to think differently...
    Oh and I'm talking about proper SS amps - none of that modelling stuff.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

I've found with my little Peavey that it works better to use the dirty channel with the gain turned right down so it's clean - it doesn't make the pedal sound as fizzy as going into the clean channel, even with the bright switch off.