Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cold Callers - Spoofing (Personal) Area Codes

What's Hot
exocetexocet Frets: 1958
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
The number of Cold Calls that I receive on my landline has picked up this past year...now reaching irritation level.

From a Caller ID perspective, many are seen to "originate" from outside the U.K - INTERNATIONAL is flagged on my phone.

This past year I have noticed that an increasing number are seen to originate from telephone area codes that I have some connection with e.g my home area or where my parents or friends live. Now it may well be that these codes are genuine (The call centre is actually based there / always originates calls from these locations) but the cynical side of me suspects that something else and rather more illegal is going on. 

Has anyone else noticed this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    We never get cold calls. I went ex-directory over 20 years ago for one thing, also I never put phone numbers on any internet database unless 100% necessary. Sometimes I write ex-directory in the space and it gets accepted, other times I put 1234 567890 (if that's someones actual number they will get my junk calls!)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Fascinating podcast about it here:
    The US sneezes and we'll soon catch the cold.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited December 2018
    Grunfeld said:
    Yep, that's it although in my case it's not just "neighbours" or "kids school" sceario, its a whole host of other places that I have had some connection with...the fact that's it's possible doesn't surprise me, the fact that it's not very high profile as a current consumer affairs context does. The same calls appear on my company mobile as well so the Database used is pretty comprehensive.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Yeah Ive had lots of this lately from my home and work area codes

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I get them from 0203 codes a lot. Block the number and it just changes to something else. 
  • Our landline was plagued by cold callers and in the end there was no reason to keep it. I still get the odd one on my mobile; this includes 0121 numbers. Obviously my mobile isn't 0121 but that's the area code where I live so that's either a big coincidence or something quite clever ( if irritating) going on. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    A friend of mine was plagued by marketing calls a few years ago, despite being on the telephone preference register.

I gave him a kazoo and showed him how to use it for maximum effect. He only used it twice and he's not had any since. Maybe there is also a 'do not call' database for numbers that bite back.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    I always point out that if the cold caller had worked harder at school they wouldn't have to cold call people for a living. It gets them quite angry.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Grunfeld said:
    Thankyou for that...useful!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    If it's about an accident I've had, I like spinning them an increasingly outlandish yarn to waste as much of their time as possible. 

Only last week, my car was attacked by a plague of giant squirrels. I was saved by my spaniel in the passenger seat knocking the automatic gearstick into drive only for us then to drive straight into a crater caused by a mix of volcanic activity and werewolves.

'Hello, hello, are you still there?'
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    They just work through a phone book they've bought; I've not had so many of late, so maybe they're at another letter in the alphabet or location code.

I am registered with the TPS, but they're only really any good for keeping genuine companies from calling you - the scammers/chancers don't care.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Hattigol said:
    If it's about an accident I've had, I like spinning them an increasingly outlandish yarn to waste as much of their time as possible. 

Only last week, my car was attacked by a plague of giant squirrels. I was saved by my spaniel in the passenger seat knocking the automatic gearstick into drive only for us then to drive straight into a crater caused by a mix of volcanic activity and werewolves.

'Hello, hello, are you still there?'
    Lol, love that. Reminds of someone else (on here?) who was talking about baiting these callers. 

“Hello I’m calling about your recent accident.” 

“Oh great, I definitely need help. Now, was that the accident where I ran into the bus full of disabled kids or the one where I ploughed into the queue of pensioners at the post office and the car caught fire?”  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I either ask them to hold then put the phone on the side and see how long it takes for them to hang up.

Or speak to them in French -and see how long it takes for them to hang up.

I'm making it into a game as to how long can i keep them on the line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have done the old Norman Collier "This.... icrophone.... not working!" routine. That's good for a laugh. You can keep them on for a while if you keep giving them enough info to make them think you are a genuine accident victim but with a dodgy signal. They hate it when they do realise you are winding them up because you have hopefully elevated their AHT (Average Handling Time) for no gain. This is a measure used to analyse whether they are doing a good job. Low AHT's mean they get through more calls and their bosses think they are good workers, so they try to keep their AHT down but if they think they are onto a winner they will take a gamble and stay on the line. Elevating AHT's is truly the only way to have an impact on these people.

You have to hurt these people as much as you can so they find other jobs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited December 2018
    I like that they are so concerned that my internet is not running properly and take the time to ring me for free to try to help me...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • If you are with BT they offer a service called Call Protect, which is different from Call Guardian.  They have a database of scam numbers built up and they will divert these numbers to your junkmail box and 99% of them will never reach you.  If one does get through you can log on to BT can blacklist the number.  

It's also useful to have BTs caller ID service.  If you see a spoofed number it's advisable to NOT answer.  A lot of the time these callers are looking for real numbers.  If you don't answer it's unlikely they will call again.  
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    It's OK when there's a human on the end - I quite enjoy taking the piss out of them.

"We're calling about your Windows computer"

"Windows?  No, I can't see any windows on it.  There's a little door on the front - does that help?"

"No, no, no.  Windows.  The operating system"

"... shall I try opening the door and having a look?  Hang on... OH MY GOD, I THINK I'VE KILLED HER!!!"

That tends to get rid of the humans.  Unfortunately, most of the calls I get now are automated.  No fun whatsoever.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    MrBump said:
    It's OK when there's a human on the end - I quite enjoy taking the piss out of them.

"We're calling about your Windows computer"

"Windows?  No, I can't see any windows on it.  There's a little door on the front - does that help?"

"No, no, no.  Windows.  The operating system"

"... shall I try opening the door and having a look?  Hang on... OH MY GOD, I THINK I'VE KILLED HER!!!"

That tends to get rid of the humans.  Unfortunately, most of the calls I get now are automated.  No fun whatsoever.
    Yes but if you lie on the automated part they go through to a human, then you can play.
  • Next time I'll try panting like I'm having a shite
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Our landline phone goes to the answering machine. We get very few genuine calls on it. I hear of people who don’t even have a phone plugged in, and only use it for the internet..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom