Direct to PA

What's Hot
chrisjac2chrisjac2 Frets: 67
Hey,

Does anyone know of box I can put on my board to go direct to a PA. Or would I need a separate preamp then cab emulator?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    What do you want to achieve? Are you ditching the amp? Can you outline your setup?
  • If what you're talking about is a pedal sized modeller then the Atomic Ampli-Firebox was the first thing that sprung to mind:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-amps/amp-simulators/atomic-amplifire-box

Technically there are any number of options for going direct to PA, ranging from a Zoom MS50 for about £50, through to a full-fat Helix/Headrush/AxeFX which would be deep into four-figure ££ cost. 
  • If you just want something to shove on the end of your board (assuming you've got all the effects and drives you need on the board) then a Mooer Radar is probably the best bet.
    <space for hire>
  • simonk said:
    What do you want to achieve? Are you ditching the amp? Can you outline your setup?
    just looking to simplify a little bit rather than lugging the amp to rehearsals  once a week.

I currently have a board with soul food and angry driver on it then going through modulation effects into a marshall stack
  • If you just want something to shove on the end of your board (assuming you've got all the effects and drives you need on the board) then a Mooer Radar is probably the best bet.
    That looks cool but would you need a preamp pedal going into it first?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26553
    edited December 2018
    chrisjac2 said:
    If you just want something to shove on the end of your board (assuming you've got all the effects and drives you need on the board) then a Mooer Radar is probably the best bet.
    That looks cool but would you need a preamp pedal going into it first?
    Ideally yes, but with a bit of tweaking pretty much any drive or distortion would work. For example, I seem to recall trying a similar setup at home (using IRs on my computer) with just a Tubescreamer-alike and got a fantastic clean sound out of it.

Another board I had was a Bogner Ecstasy Red for distortion, but an AMT F-2 preamp pedal (the preamp from a Fender Twin, built with JFETs instead of valves) at the end. It was designed to be able to plug in to the effects return of any amp and get the sounds I wanted, during a time when I was playing a lot of gigs with shared backline. I tried the same thing - direct into the PC with IRs - and it sounded great.
    <space for hire>
    I’d look at the Tech21 character pedals (or the Joyo clones) and the similar offerings from AMT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That Mooer looks excellent. I have a cheapo Digitech pedal with an emulated out as my "get out of jail my amp has died back-up", but the Mooer looks really tempting.
    That Mooer does look cool. If it’s just for occasional use or to get you out of a pinch I’d go for a Joyo British Sound... 35 quid. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I've had good results with the AMT F1. Slightly less good results with the Sansamp.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    simonk said:
    I’d look at the Tech21 character pedals (or the Joyo clones) and the similar offerings from AMT.
    This.  You can pick up the Joyo (sometimes branded Harley Benton) versions for around £20 second hand.

Other option is to use it as an excuse to buy a Strymon Big Sky, which has switchable cabinet emulation.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Tech 21 and Joyo are good suggestions. 

I use a Session JD-10 for little gigs all the time... it's an all-analogue preamp/line driver, with speaker emulation, gain/master and a three-band EQ. Just stick it last in your FX chain. They're tough as old boots, sound pretty great once you suss the flat tone settings, and you can get a nice clean one for about £60 on the bay. 
  • I have a joyo American for this job in an event if my amp blows up. Hope I'll never have to use it 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Thanks all. Time to go shopping :-)
  • Thanks for all the advice, i've hopefully picked up a AMT M1 and a AMT CP 100 (Similar to the mooer radar) off the classifieds and will see how that goes
  • Beringer GDI is excellent