Why do so few 'big name' bands/artists use PRS?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    The haircut is, at least, an improvement.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    I was brainwashed by guitarist mag in the 90s so have a distasteful lust for posh furniture like glossy finish and guitars the devalue like sterling after brexit. Did I mention the characterless pickups?
    I bought the stripped down version of a Les Paul purely cause 1 grand was more comfortably affordable than 2 grand. Then I bought a PRS SE LP clone that has all the fancy decorations like flame maple cap, glossy finish and body and neck binding.

After having both for a short time I realised I actually much prefer the matte finish/plain maple/no binding look of the LP Tribute. 
    Could have bought a non-blingy USA PRS for around a grand and you'd probably have kept it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Voxman said:
    Sporky said:
    You seem to be suggesting that there aren't any photos of losers playing Fendsons or Gibners... 
    I made no such statement!

But I maintain that no-one has ever looked cool playing a PRS. And - like it or not - that is a part of the rock music "thing" for a lot of people. Not saying it's rational, but I'm confident it part of why you don't see so many "famous types" playing PRSi
    Maybe not cool...but I can think of some PRS players that are damned hot! 

https://goo.gl/images/TQ3GgY
    Is Orianthi actually hot, or is she just an average looking woman with too much makeup and a collection of silly hats, who gets us all excited because she happens to play guitar?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry, I don't understand the difference :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Philly_Q said:
    Voxman said:
    Sporky said:
    You seem to be suggesting that there aren't any photos of losers playing Fendsons or Gibners... 
    I made no such statement!

But I maintain that no-one has ever looked cool playing a PRS. And - like it or not - that is a part of the rock music "thing" for a lot of people. Not saying it's rational, but I'm confident it part of why you don't see so many "famous types" playing PRSi
    Maybe not cool...but I can think of some PRS players that are damned hot! 

https://goo.gl/images/TQ3GgY
    Is Orianthi actually hot, or is she just an average looking woman with too much makeup and a collection of silly hats, who gets us all excited because she happens to play guitar?
    Meh, The Iron Maidens are better.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited December 2018
    Simon_M said:
    axisus said:
    Some cool bands play them ....

Nickelback have released some really good music. I think the criticisms of 'formulaic' and 'derivative' can be applied to so much music from just about every genre for many decades that it's kind of moot. They still shift albums too. Maybe I don't know enough about them to know why they are so often described as uncool...

They released a successful ballad, and a song that was on a sofa advert, in the era when elitism was at its height.

Anyway Chad cut his hair and often plays a Gibson these days.

And still very much plays his PRS too :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Rumour has it that even John Mayer can't get laid since he became a PRS endorsee...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2353
    edited December 2018

The Nickelback bashing is just as predictable as the PRS disdain.  You either like them or you don't, horses for courses and we live happily ever after.

I own three USA PRS guitars and I'm not a dentist.  Mint used examples can be picked up for the same or less than a pot luck used Les Paul Standard so, compared to some of the lavish NGDs shown off on this very forum, really quite modest money.

Oh, and I quite like Nickelback too.  They rock as hard as anyone in the live arena and can certainly play, much like those other easy targets Status Quo & Bryan Adams that provide the less discerning among us with fun nights year in year out while the sheep mock...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

• Man, it's a big old slab of wood an LP, isn't it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    StefB said:

The Nickelback bashing is just as predictable as the PRS disdain.  You either like them or you don't, horses for courses and we live happily ever after.

I own three USA PRS guitars and I'm not a dentist.  Mint used examples can be picked up for the same or less than a pot luck used Les Paul Standard so, compared to some of the lavish NGDs shown off on this very forum, really quite modest money.

Oh, and I quite like Nickelback too.  They rock as hard as anyone in the live arena and can certainly play, much like those other easy targets Status Quo & Bryan Adams that provide the less discerning among us with fun nights year in year out while the sheep mock...

PRS disdain is due to purely and simply too no being able to afford one whilst other can.

Not liking one is not due to that.

Being able to distinguish is down to posting style.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780

Despite the thread title, it's almost a sign of the success of PRS that so may people slag them off. 

You could level exactly the same criticisms about blinginess, lack of cool etc at, say, Knaggs or Huber, but nobody bothers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Philly_Q said:
    Oh dear...

Image result for ed sheeran prs
    they're not coming back from that quickly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I do think that I would be more than happy with just my DGT. In hindsight it's a bit blingy. When i had the mindset of getting a PRS, I wanted one with a 10 top. That's like getting a luxury car with a leather interior. 

It's only the inverse snobbery which makes me a bit embarrassed about it. I mean ffs the guitar cost significantly less than a custom shop strat or Tele. So why should I feel reluctant or hesitant about taking it out gigging? The flamey top does draw attention, but i bet nobody would bat an eyelid if somebody gigged a heavy relic strat and that's three times the price. 
     Because to a certain extent unless you could tell the difference it could be a cheap roadworn guitar. 

I blame brexit 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited December 2018
    @DrJazzTap - just gig it! My blingy over the top Private Stock dentist/lawyer guitar goes out to pub gigs all the time and it's almost never noticed or commented on.

If you love it - play it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a battered Custom 24 that is an almost black colour but translucent so you can see a little flame in the wood. There isn't a bit of it that isn't dinged or chipped. I've had the neck sanded down and the god awful pickups changed for some Bareknuckle Crawlers and changed out the useless rotary switch for a 3-way and a push pull pot which has gaffa tape around it because I couldn't grip the stupid PRS knob after about 30 seconds of a gig.

So anyway, it sounds a million times better, I have proper switching on it, it's not blingy, I don't care if it gets another dent, it NEVER goes out of tune, I can change all the strings in a couple of minutes and weighs about as much as a brisk wind

its still my least favourite guitar but it really does do a hell of a job 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    edited December 2018
    I've had over a dozen Les Paul's and probably the same amount of Strats of various types along with Musicman, Tom Anderson etc. but my favourite guitar was my old Custom 24. Non 10 top, not blingy but sounded fantastic split and humbucker mode and never, ever, went out of tune. The W/T neck is still the best and most comfortable I've ever played. Sold it due to a brief fit of insanity and wish I had it back. Maybe they don't look cool enough low slung when you're running across the stage but dentists have never had it so good
  • Twinfan said:
    @DrJazzTap - just gig it! My blingy over the top Private Stock dentist/lawyer guitar goes out to pub gigs all the time and it's almost never noticed or commented on.

If you love it - play it
    I guess that's the point - outside of guitar forums almost nobody gives a shit. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Twinfan said:

If you love it - play it
    That really is true - to a lesser extent, other guitar players who aren't geeky about it might notice but normal music fans are completely disinterested in what model or make of guitar people play - as I was before I got properly in to guitar a few years ago.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Oh dear...

Image result for ed sheeran prs
    Now they really are screwed,,,,
  • thegummy said:
    Twinfan said:

If you love it - play it
    That really is true - to a lesser extent, other guitar players who aren't geeky about it might notice but normal music fans are completely disinterested in what model or make of guitar people play - as I was before I got properly in to guitar a few years ago.

I've been playing guitar in bands for 20 years and my brother ( who earned his living as a DJ once upon a time and has good musical knowledge) bought me a Mr Bassist t shirt for my last birthday. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom