Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do so few 'big name' bands/artists use PRS?

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I can always spot the guitar geeks in the audience at my gigs - they have a confused look on their face as they're sure I'm playing a PRS but it doesn't have birds or moon inlays  ;)

I think only a couple of people have ever come up to ask me about it though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671

Go to 36.00 and tell me that's a heavy metal guitar.  To me, that is the finest sounding guitar in the world, in the hands of it's greatest exponent..Why everyone doesn't play one of these is a mystery to me.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649

Wow. Silver burst for when sunburst isn’t ugly enough
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited December 2018
    Sporky said:
    jeztone2 said:
     If I look at my favourite albums ever. Then PRS don’t figure much. 

I honestly have no idea what guitars are on my favourite albums. To me that seems like worrying about what toothpaste they used, or what the person who made the mixing desk had for breakfast. 
    I’ve always looked at the rigs people used. As a young player I felt it was educational to actually know what amps and guitars sound like in different hands. I think it’s paid off. I couldn’t afford the gear. But I went out and tried things. Borrowed a plexi off a friends brother. If I saw someone playing in a pub, I’d go talk to them. Ask them about what they used and why? I just saw that as part of learning guitar. Along with the music. I’d ask about what records they liked. If they’d had lessons. I dunno knowledge seems like power to me. 

I just looked at the options, then tried things and working out what suited me.

Someone asked my wife recently if I get groupies. She laughed and said “No he gets other guitarists looking at his pedals”. And it’s true, even she notices other players scrutinise my rig like it’s a lap dancers snatch in Spearmint Rhino. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited December 2018
    rlw said:

Go to 36.00 and tell me that's a heavy metal guitar.  To me, that is the finest sounding guitar in the world, in the hands of it's greatest exponent..Why everyone doesn't play one of these is a mystery to me.

Interesting and valid discussion, really just listen to David Grissom and I agree this thread becomes more relevant. IMO he's a master of tone, touch and good taste whether he's using the basic goldtop DGT or a highly blingy one. 

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Would he not sound great on any guitar though? All the guys at that level and the folk who are decent enough would sound class playing a Squier. It's not the PRS that makes him great, I love the DGT Goldtop but it's not gonna turn me into Slash over night either. Buy what you like but it's the player innit.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• deanodeano Frets: 622
    edited December 2018
    I have no dog in this fight. I have never owned a PRS, nor am I likely to unless he lottery is nice to me.

The first time I ever saw a PRS in the flesh as it were, was in the nineties when I saw The Joe Ely Band opening for Robert Cray on his Midnight Stroll Tour, at the City Hall in Sheffield. Dave Grissom was playing a PRS.

I was so impressed with Joe Ely that I went out and bought the album Live at Liberty Lunch the very next day.

Grissom was superb and his tone with Joe Ely wasn't metal at all, it was country/blues rock and if anyone wants to hear a PRS in that style, then go and buy Live at Liberty Lunch. Why anyone would claim PRS's can only sound metal or sterile is beyond me when there are albums like that out there to prove the opposite. Maybe it's in the fingers and some people don't have the talent to get a good tone out of one.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    To my shame it took me 15 years to try a PRS out. I thought they were just decorative furniture items. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • HPhillipsmusicHPhillipsmusic Frets: 188
    edited December 2018
    I put PRS in the same kind of category as Warhammer, short-sleeve shirts with flames on them, BB guns, sweatbands, non-tribal tribal tattoos, WWE etc.

Silver Sky is the closest they've got to being cool in my eyes, and its still only 50% as cool as a strat. Sorry not sorry

EDIT: I do take back 5% of what I said, I think Mayers tone when he had that private stock thing with Dead & Co was pretty refreshing and appropriate. Shame its a £10,000 one that sounds good.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    edited December 2018
    So, to recap, the reasons suggested so far by the PRS camp as to why others don't like them are:

We are too old.
    They weren't played by our heroes.
    It's a sign of the brand's success.
    We don't have the talent to get a good tone out of one.

All ignoring the actual reason, as set out over various pages in this thread which is that they look shit and are the antithesis of cool.

But whatever floats your boat....and a Merry Christmas to one and all.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    So, to recap, the reasons suggested so far by the PRS camp as to why others don't like them are:

We are too old.

All ignoring the actual reason, as set out over various pages in this thread which is that they look shit and are the antithesis of cool.

Yes but that isn't the ACTUAL reason is it? The ACTUAL reason is that they are expensive.

People don't like them because they are a sign of wealth. It isn't the guitars, it's the people who buy them you don't like.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    deano said:
    Hattigol said:

We are too old.

Yes but that isn't the ACTUAL reason is it? The ACTUAL reason is that they are expensive.

People don't like them because they are a sign of wealth. It isn't the guitars, it's the people who buy them you don't like.
    Happy to let you think that if it makes you feel better, buddy :-)
    And I gave you a lol.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • HPhillipsmusicHPhillipsmusic Frets: 188
    edited December 2018
    I've never thought of PRS as being overly expensive or for wealthy people, more metal/shred kids. The expensive Private Stock stuff is pretty cool, but I hold no resentment towards anyone who can afford one, there's plenty of people on here with expensive vintage guitars who can't really play them but there's no ill feelings! 
  • They are cool though. It’s Telecasters that aren’t cool
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    deano said:
    Hattigol said:

We are too old.

Sorry. I don't think I quite made the nature of my post clear.

You said the reasons given in the thread were not the ACTUAL reasons people didn't like PRS's. Then YOU gave what YOU claimed to be the ACTUAL reason.

I was pointing out that YOU don't have the ACTUAL reason at all. YOU merely have an opinion, which YOU have mistakenly identified as THE actual reason. I, in fact, have the true, genuine, ACTUAL reason. You don't like the people who can afford to buy them but that isn't something that you feel can be admitted to, so you dress it up, morphing the financial envy into a sneering "well they aren't cool are they?" As if YOU were the arbiter of what is and what isn't cool.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • capital letters aint cool man
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    deano said:
    Hattigol said:
    deano said:
    Hattigol said:

We are too old.

Sorry. I don't think I quite made the nature of my post clear.

You said the reasons given in the thread were not the ACTUAL reasons people didn't like PRS's. Then YOU gave what YOU claimed to be the ACTUAL reason.

I was pointing out that YOU don't have the ACTUAL reason at all. YOU merely have an opinion, which YOU have mistakenly identified as THE actual reason. I, in fact, have the true, genuine, ACTUAL reason. You don't like the people who can afford to buy them but that isn't something that you feel can be admitted to, so you dress it up, morphing the financial envy into a sneering "well they aren't cool are they?" As if YOU were the arbiter of what is and what isn't cool.
    I have given you another lol for that - absolutely brilliant!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    Hattigol said:

So a bunch of middle aged internet argument pundits with an obsession for 50-year-old music are the official what's cool panel?

:s 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom