Resonators -amplified for live?

I don't know much about the conventional use of electro-acoustic resonators, although I would assume that most would choose to put them into a PA via some sort of preamp to control the pickup system.

I want to get a resonator, but I want a really old-styled, 12-fret one, probably wooden and I'm not really into the neck pickup look or sound (or the cutaway thing). Think something like the Gretsch bobtail.

I was considering putting it through my Fender HotRod DeVille, which I run as a single-channel on gain 1 with a tiny bit of breakup (I just use a couple of dirt pedals when I'm playing electric, but I don't have a "clean" sound). Now for obvious reasons this wouldn't work all that well with a conventional acoustic with an under-saddle pickup system, but I haven't and likely won't get the opportunity to try a reso with a biscuit pickup into a loud and breaking up Fender amp before I go down that road.

Bearing in mind I want a really mean, shitty sound, clunky and dirty, is that what I can expect? Will it be unmanageable in terms of feedback or are they still okay at low gain?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Highlander p/u is the received wisdom - best to just mic the sucker up tbh
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72319
    If you're going to put it through an electric guitar amp with any dirt on it, a 'proper' resonator pickup like the Highlander or the McIntyre will feed back uncontrollably. You really do need a magnetic and there's nowhere on a resonator to fit it other than in the neck position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    I'm in a standard rock band so micing isn't really an option. Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm in a standard five-piece alt-rock band, two guits, bass, drums, keys. We're usually playing boisterous garage rock with a bit of a Southern tinge, and for certain songs I want to dial in a reso, but I basically need to use it like an electric as I'm fronting the band too. What I kind of want to know is if I just put it in the amp will it feed back LAMF, and if not then will it sound "evil redneck" enough?
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    Also, when you say "any dirt", do you mean literally any at all?
    Pretty much. Basically the resonator works 'backwards' as a giant microphone. You might get away with it for recording at low volume but unlikely on stage - even a standard electro-acoustic becomes uncontrollable very quickly with any distortion. Magnetic-pickup acoustics work much better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Get a variax, job done. :-\"
    edited August 2013
    Lol

But true if it's the sound you want and not the look.

Actually looking at mine, there may be enough clearance above the cone to mount a magnetic pickup through the resonator cover, in a 'bridge' (or at least closer to it) position. This will obviously require cutting through metal rather than wood, but that can be done.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    edited August 2013
    lace sesor do a very thin humbucker which fits  most reso's

or there is this idea - like ICBM said above
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    A resonator is loud enough to use an .sm57 in front of. You don't need a sensitive condesor Mic.
  • My experience of amplifying resonators comes down to either a magnetic (Lace sensor super flat thing) which gives you the look but not really the sound, or a piezo on the biscuit (i have the K&K on one of mine and that works nicely - needs a preamp though) but if you use a piezo don't put the guitar in the monitor - an acoustic amp behind you gives far fewer problems with feedback (I find this is generally the case with acoustics anyway) - most acoustic amps have a DI out to go to the PA.

Tricones are much more of a nightmare - I've tried the Schatten (no, just don't) and the Highlander (staggering price, ok sound but...). Bob Brozman used to use a Highlander and a Neumann small condenser mic and he got a decent sound that way. I have a SE electronics GM10 that I think might work well but it's such a peculiar look!!

• Get to one of Kent Duchaines gigs and ask how he does it http://www.kentduchaine.com/
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    edited September 2013
    Get to one of Kent Duchaines gigs and ask how he does it http://www.kentduchaine.com/
    From the photos he has a LR Baggs M1 or M1A mounted through the body in the neck position.

That should work well - they're voiced to give an 'acoustic' sound so distorted should be quite metallic and ratty. They're also very resistant to feedback.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    Those pics on his homepage are from waaaaay before the M1 existed so it must be some other sort of pickup there. I think he's got an old Barcus Berry pickup on his Duolian these days.

ICBM said:
    Get to one of Kent Duchaines gigs and ask how he does it http://www.kentduchaine.com/
    From the photos he has a LR Baggs M1 or M1A mounted through the body in the neck position.

That should work well - they're voiced to give an 'acoustic' sound so distorted should be quite metallic and ratty. They're also very resistant to feedback.

Lewy said:
    Those pics on his homepage are from waaaaay before the M1 existed so it must be some other sort of pickup there. I think he's got an old Barcus Berry pickup on his Duolian these days.
    Interesting, it does look exactly the shape and colour of an M1! Although the pics aren't quite clear enough to really see it.

I checked out some other pics and there seem to be variations over the years, although with various amounts of gaffer tape :).

Whatever it is it's a magnetic pickup fitted through the top in the neck position though.

While looking for something else I spotted this...

Go about a quarter of the way down - Dobro Pickup. For some reason the website doesn't seem to work for me and I can't get to the individual product pages, but it does seem like it will fit if it's only 6.4mm thick.