Erm.. Any guesses on this vintage Marshall?

What's Hot
photekphotek Frets: 1463
https://reverb.com/item/17351450-marshall-amp-have-no-idea-of-model-1960-black

A friend of mine just purchased it for a laugh. We are guessing it is just a burnt out box!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Erm... crikey.

Coffin badge, Bulgins, vee-top knobs... that has signs of being a '64. Possibly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    JTM45 mk Ii. Assuming there is anything inside the box. I’d imagine even the parts that you xan see in the photo are worth more than you paid.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    edited December 2018
    If that’s not a very cleverly done fake - and why would anyone do that for £49? - it’s a very early JTM45 and worth a lot of money if it’s even vaguely original inside. Just the logo and control panel are worth far more than that.

DO NOT plug it in or try to find out if it works - take it to an expert for a full check-over. It’s quite likely to be dangerous both to itself (and hence its potential value) and you.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited December 2018
    Was the MK II not the PA version?
    Genuine question- I'm no expert of that period of Marshall.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31573
    edited December 2018
    Have you done an image search?

Just to check the story adds up before actually going to meet the seller, it looks too good to be true.

If they know enough that it's a 1960s Marshall with JTM on it and they're advertising it online then they're only a click away from knowing its potential value. 

Proceed with extreme caution, this is not an old lady's card in a newsagent's window. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    NO IDEA of model seems a bit of a weird thing to say.

Even if I know absolutely nothing about anything that's ever existed in the history of the universe I'd probably say "looks like it says JTM 45 on it".
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited December 2018
    Oh we are convinced it’s a scam or at the very least a burnt out old box. I am guessing a hacked account and will check with @iain.reverb first.

The seller sold an old Fender Mustang previously so the chances of then not being savvy enough to even google Marshall JTM are non existent.

Still these dabbles can be quite exciting and generate some chatter if nothing else!

p90fool said:
    Have you done an image search
    That is a good idea chap, I will have a look.
  • I went to school in Eltham, if I were you I'd go with a mate :-)
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Worth a raffle ticket at £49 but take some mates when you collect it!
  • Pitch roof knobs - worth a bloody fortune in their own right. 
  • Someone has to be having a laugh. Could be legit though. I did see another amp a few weeks ago sell on ebay for £50 or might even have been £20. Not a Marshall but it was worth about £800 or so. There are people out there this stupid.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If it’s not just a joke it would be a pretty pointless scam for £49, when ten times that would still be temptingly too cheap for a lot of people to ask very many questions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Updates please!
    edited December 2018
    Waiting for an update from my mate, we haven’t heard from him since he went to pick it up 8 hours ago...... 

I’m kidding, I don’t think he is getting much in the way of comms from the seller so far
    octatonic said:
    Was the MK II not the PA version?
    Genuine question- I'm no expert of that period of Marshall.
    The MkIIIs were the four-channel PA amps. All two-channel JTM45s are 'MkIIs' - it was intended to make people think Marshall were an established company, not a new upstart! There was no MkI - the serial numbers started at 1000 for the same reason.

edited December 2018
    Unfortunately the seller had a change of heart and is keeping it as a decorative item, money refunded
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    photek said:
    Unfortunately the seller had a change of heart and is keeping it as a decorative item, money refunded
    Decorative in the sense that someone told him how much it could be worth and it will soon be re-advertised for a hundred times the price?

ICBM said:
    photek said:
    Decorative in the sense that someone told him how much it could be worth and it will soon be re-advertised for a hundred times the price?
    Quite possibly. To be fair he said his father had passed away recently and it was his but now his mum couldn’t bring herself to sell it. Or he figured out how to use google :)
  • @photek ;
    I'm in Eltham but as the guy pulled out of the deal there's no need to go check it out for you I guess