Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So... I fell down the rabbit hole with pedals again....

What's Hot
WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
edited December 2018 in FX

I have serious problems.

Basically, I was getting a bit "meh" about the delay and reverb options on the Helix. So I restarted my collection again.... one thing led to another and I got a Boss ES5, coz I figured I could replicate all of the Helix snapshot type functionality with it. And you pretty much can but it's not as user friendly and quick to use. Quick enough though for most people.

Then I wanted a delay that could mimic the Helix's Adriatic Delay, particularly when it's self oscillating. So I ended up bagging an Empress Echosystem. It can kinda do it. It gets better when you put an EQ in the insert loop and use it to carve out the lows and highs.

Then I saw @BintyTwanger77 was selling his Strymons, so I grabbed them off him. And ultimately.... I've ended up roughly where I was 3, 4, 6, and 7 years ago... all at once!

I'm still using the Helix with the band. But I can't promise I wont be building a megaboard to use instead. I am just that guy - the guy who has 3 delays and 3 reverbs on his board, and only ever used one sound on each of them!

Bye!

6reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I think it gets easier when you realise you are mostly doing it because its fun to have a new pedalboard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You have an illness 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Currently I’m running two reverbs and two delays.

Unfortunately I keep looking at other delays as well particularly the new Red Panda one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'm similarly afflicted.
    I've stoped selling pedals off.

I don't have many delay pedals though- just the Timefactor and a TC 4x4, and very few modulation options.
    I've got a lot of different flavours of OD/Distortion.
  • What expression pedal is that? 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    edited December 2018
    Drew, good to chat again...

I share your pain mate. I am currently virtually pedal-free, and don’t even have an amp !! Kemper is king for me, but I might buy a Helix Floor this week (looks like a new one as there’s no in the Forum).

But the draw of pedals pedals is always there !

Its interesting that you are chasing Helix sounds friends m pedals and not the usual other way round...

It shows up the strength of the Helix delays especially for the stranger sounds...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    For me, the hatred of building pedalboards trumps any desire to use individual pedals again - I’m doing one for a friend this week, and every time I say I won’t do one again I somehow get sucked back in...

But for me personally, no. The final revelation was that the individual pedals didn’t actually sound quite as good as the models, instead of the other way round - and that’s only with a Boss ME-50.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    For me, the hatred of building pedalboards trumps any desire to use individual pedals again - I’m doing one for a friend this week, and every time I say I won’t do one again I somehow get sucked back in...

But for me personally, no. The final revelation was that the individual pedals didn’t actually sound quite as good as the models, instead of the other way round - and that’s only with a Boss ME-50.
    To be fair, most of the delay and mod pedals in that picture are modellers anyway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • How anyone who is in an active, gigging band can be arsed with a mega board I'll never know.

Fair play if it works for you but like @icbm the hassle of the damn things outweighs the pleasure for me. So whilst I rock a fairly sizable pedalboard at home - if I ever start playing guitar in a band again it'll be a helix or a mini board for me! 
  • ICBM said:

There is a pretty distinct decay characteristic on the Helix with the reverbs and delays. They get softer the longer the decay, so you end up with tails that don't decay and bloom in the same way as the Big Sky, say.

They're all quite different from one another. If I had to be honest, I'd say the Nemesis delay was the least used delay pedal, and the Boss RV-500 was the least used reverb.

Also one thing I notice when I'm using the Helix is that I'm actually much less likely to change the sounds I'm using in a sense - you get the whole "I must do it all in one patch so that I'm not constantly banking around" type of thing in your head. Or at least I do.

I did buy a Warwick Rockboard Quad 4.2, but right now I'm not sure what I am going to put on it. So at the moment they're all at home and I just grab whatever I want at any specific time.

Bye!

• How anyone who is in an active, gigging band can be arsed with a mega board I'll never know.

Fair play if it works for you but like @icbm the hassle of the damn things outweighs the pleasure for me. So whilst I rock a fairly sizable pedalboard at home - if I ever start playing guitar in a band again it'll be a helix or a mini board for me! 
    Well I don't put all this stuff on a single board at once. I'm not even using them with the band right now!

Bye!

edited December 2018
    ICBM said:

There is a pretty distinct decay characteristic on the Helix with the reverbs and delays. They get softer the longer the decay, so you end up with tails that don't decay and bloom in the same way as the Big Sky, say.

They're all quite different from one another. If I had to be honest, I'd say the Nemesis delay was the least used delay pedal, and the Boss RV-500 was the least used reverb.

Also one thing I notice when I'm using the Helix is that I'm actually much less likely to change the sounds I'm using in a sense - you get the whole "I must do it all in one patch so that I'm not constantly banking around" type of thing in your head. Or at least I do.

I did buy a Warwick Rockboard Quad 4.2, but right now I'm not sure what I am going to put on it. So at the moment they're all at home and I just grab whatever I want at any specific time.
    Have you looked much into non-floor based effects?

I've been getting into Eurorack modular the last year or so and my favourite delay line generator is this:

Runs off CV gate but this can respond to midi foot control- with the Yarns module I can trigger pretty much any function via CC and do so spontaneously, something that I struggle to do with the floor based units, especially the Helix and FX8.

The trigger button can be usefully programmed to do different things, I mostly use it to randomly regenerate new values for specific functions, which means you end up getting unexpected- sometimes really cool, often really weird.
    Having knobs and switched for important functions means it is very playable.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    How do you find the big boss delay/reverb compare against the Strymon.

• DanR said:
    How do you find the big boss delay/reverb compare against the Strymon.

DD500 easily competes with the Timeline I think, for the sounds I care about anyway: Tape, Analog, Digital, Tera Echo, Filter. The Timeline has a few sounds in it that the DD500 can't do very well; like the Ice engine for example.

The Big Sky is fairly head and shoulders above the RV500 for reverbs I think. The RV500 is very bread and butter, even on the "special" engines, and the 10second tail limit is just too limiting for some sounds.

I'm gonna do a video going over them all at some point.

@Octatonic - Eurorack isn't something I'm going near right now!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

@Octatonic - Eurorack isn't something I'm going near right now!
    Probably a wise decision.
    It is incredibly good fun but does tend to take over your life.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Wow, what a selection. I'd get dizzy thinking of all the possible permutations.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • @WiresDreamDisasters Welcome back!!!!

I was that guy too, using one effect on each unit, I had all the little Strymon delays at one point because they were all better than anything else I could get (and still are), I miss them!

Now the HX Stomp is out, surely there's no better time to go hybrid and then you'll have all your Helix delays as well as the cool stuff you love about your pedals?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I believe you grabbed the Strymons off me! Well two of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I believe you grabbed the Strymons off me! Well two of them.
    Ha!! Shit, sorry, got confused with usernames! Doh!

Bye!

• newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    Out of interest - what kind of music do you guys play that requires so many different types of delay?