Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So... I fell down the rabbit hole with pedals again....

What's Hot

Comments

• newi123 said:
    Out of interest - what kind of music do you guys play that requires so many different types of delay?
    A perfectly sensible question. If you checkout www.bridgedisaster.co.uk you'll hear.

On our latest single I use three delays at once for the clean parts - reverse delay, digital delay, and the Adriatic delay on the Line 6 Helix to do the oscillation effect in the first half of the song.

The truth is that 90% of the time, I just need reverse+digital delay. I'm using a lot of tape delay sounds recently too though, when we're songwriting. That's pretty much what it's all about for me at the moment - having as many options as I can have for songwriting.

Again, I don't have all of these pedals on a single board at the same time. Right now I just pick and choose.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    There's a lot of nice stuff there - how do you find the Blackstar dist compares? I hear a lot of mixed feelings about that range..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What expression pedal is that? 
    Ernie ball :)

Nice collection of pedals - we want to see the resulting board!!!

• newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    newi123 said:
    Out of interest - what kind of music do you guys play that requires so many different types of delay?
    A perfectly sensible question. If you checkout www.bridgedisaster.co.uk you'll hear.

On our latest single I use three delays at once for the clean parts - reverse delay, digital delay, and the Adriatic delay on the Line 6 Helix to do the oscillation effect in the first half of the song.

The truth is that 90% of the time, I just need reverse+digital delay. I'm using a lot of tape delay sounds recently too though, when we're songwriting. That's pretty much what it's all about for me at the moment - having as many options as I can have for songwriting.

Again, I don't have all of these pedals on a single board at the same time. Right now I just pick and choose.
    Cheers - I`ll go take a listen..........
  • What expression pedal is that? 

It's actually just the volume pedal. I do have a Moog EP3 expression pedal knocking around though.

I'm speccing out one or two boards right now. Struggling to figure out what I want on there.

I think I need to go back to tap dancing for a bit. So I can start to experiment with pedals a bit more. The experimentation has been missing for a while now.

Bye!

• Are you attempting to build a phyiscal delay by putting half your signal through all those pedals on by[pass then merging it with your main signal? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you attempting to build a phyiscal delay by putting half your signal through all those pedals on by[pass then merging it with your main signal? 
    That's the only authentic way to get slapback.

Bye!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    What expression pedal is that? 

It's actually just the volume pedal. I do have a Moog EP3 expression pedal knocking around though.

I'm speccing out one or two boards right now. Struggling to figure out what I want on there.

I think I need to go back to tap dancing for a bit. So I can start to experiment with pedals a bit more. The experimentation has been missing for a while now.
    Would you consider augmenting the Helix with pedals?
    I don't do this with delays but wah, pitch (HOG/POG/Whammy), RingMod, Butler Tube Driver and couple of other things sit outside the Helix, allowing the Helix to do what it does best.
  • octatonic said:
    What expression pedal is that? 

Would you consider augmenting the Helix with pedals?
    I don't do this with delays but wah, pitch (HOG/POG/Whammy), RingMod, Butler Tube Driver and couple of other things sit outside the Helix, allowing the Helix to do what it does best.
    I have thought about it for sure. But I think ergonomically and in terms of weight, it's a bit of a lose-lose for me right now. Maybe when I pass my test and get a car.

Bye!

That's the only authentic way to get slapback.
    Buying hundreds of pedals I don't need would probably result in some authentic slapback in my household for sure :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I pretty much stopped buying pedals when I got an M9. Well, apart from drive pedals. 
    And the TC Sub n Up but the M9 can't do that so that doesn't count.

I still have a wah pedal.

Quite fancy a new fuzz...

A separate comp would be handy as well.....

• So here is one variation. It would be very capable and give me plenty of stacking options. The ES5 also allows me to re-arrange the gain effects too, which is something the Helix cannot do.

However it's almost 4kg heavier than the Helix, and that is without cables and the Zuma underneath the board!!

Also I don't have a bag for my PT3 :-1: 

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

Quite fancy a new fuzz...

How about two fuzzes in one ?

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/134470/fs-deviever-bdsm#latest ; ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I believe you grabbed the Strymons off me! Well two of them.
    Ha!! Shit, sorry, got confused with usernames! Doh!
    True enough.. there’s no way Id have sold to Drew... :)

Seriously though, there IS something special about the Big Sky. My fave reverb ever in any format.

Also, the Echosystem is excellent and the SDD setting on the Boss DD500 is the closest yet to the real thing.
  • LuttiS said:
    There's a lot of nice stuff there - how do you find the Blackstar dist compares? I hear a lot of mixed feelings about that range..
    I had a bash today. Now... I know the Fallout Cloud is a fuzz and the Blackstar is a dist.... but the Blackstar sounds thin next to it, very thin. At all settings. It's good as a light crunch into a slightly dirty channel.... but you wouldn't use it as a main riff tone I don't think.

Bye!

• I believe you grabbed the Strymons off me! Well two of them.
    Ha!! Shit, sorry, got confused with usernames! Doh!
    True enough.. there’s no way Id have sold to Drew... :)

Seriously though, there IS something special about the Big Sky. My fave reverb ever in any format.

Also, the Echosystem is excellent and the SDD setting on the Boss DD500 is the closest yet to the real thing.
    The reason I have all these different pedals is that on the surface whilst they all "do the same thing" they actually sound quite different from one another. When you start comparing them, differences emerge... and not always in an obvious that one is better kind of way.

Bye!

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    How anyone who is in an active, gigging band can be arsed with a mega board I'll never know.

Fair play if it works for you but like @icbm the hassle of the damn things outweighs the pleasure for me. So whilst I rock a fairly sizable pedalboard at home - if I ever start playing guitar in a band again it'll be a helix or a mini board for me! 
    Hmmm. Gotta disagree with this @UnclePsychosis . What's the hassle after you've wired it up? Just flop it out and rock. Bend over for a slight tweak if necessary. Compared to getting lost in digital menu fuckwittery with a Helix and forgetting to actually play...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    How anyone who is in an active, gigging band can be arsed with a mega board I'll never know.

Fair play if it works for you but like @icbm the hassle of the damn things outweighs the pleasure for me. So whilst I rock a fairly sizable pedalboard at home - if I ever start playing guitar in a band again it'll be a helix or a mini board for me! 
    Hmmm. Gotta disagree with this @UnclePsychosis . What's the hassle after you've wired it up? Just flop it out and rock. Bend over for a slight tweak if necessary. Compared to getting lost in digital menu fuckwittery with a Helix and forgetting to actually play...
    It's the weight. The faff of carrying it about, particularly on public transport. The "where the fuck do I stand?" problem that arises on the flea-pit stages that pass for venues these days. The "which of the 47 patch cables is the intermittent one?" problem. Etc etc. 

Like I said, I'm quite happy to use lots of pedals at home, just not out and about! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:

It's the weight. The faff of carrying it about, particularly on public transport. The "where the fuck do I stand?" problem that arises on the flea-pit stages that pass for venues these days. The "which of the 47 patch cables is the intermittent one?" problem. Etc etc. 

Like I said, I'm quite happy to use lots of pedals at home, just not out and about! 
    Yep. All of that stuff can definitely be a problem. For sure!

Bye!

• Lebarque said:

I’ve got to say, for me, the strength of the Helix is how easy it is to use