Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SPOTY AWARD

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    My vote would be 100% for Lewis Hamilton. 5 x World Champion, 
    I can see that as a great achievement, and he appears to be the best driver of his generation, but my opinion is coloured by the fact that he is usually in the best car, and generally the best car wins. It is the single sport with the most un-level playing field. It's a bit like the Jockey who wins the Grand National, it IS a great achievement but lets be honest, the horse does the 'donkey work'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Geraint Thomas should definitely get the 'Bradley Wiggins Award for Best Doping Concealer' for his efforts this year.
    And I hope he remembers to give a special thanks to his medical team in his speech.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Hattigol said:
    Geraint Thomas should definitely get the 'Bradley Wiggins Award for Best Doping Concealer' for his efforts this year.
    And I hope he remembers to give a special thanks to his medical team in his speech.

Bring back facepalms
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Hattigol said:

Bring back facepalms
    And maybe a 'naivety' button for anyone who doesn't think that professional cyclists only win when they take performance-enhancing drugs.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    Hattigol said:
    Don't be naive, all professional sport involves drugs.  All athletes take anti inflammatory and pain killers. typically by injection into the prone area.  Motorsport is one of the biggest offenders.  No driver ever walks away unhurt from a smash, there is always bruised ribs from the restraints, internal bruising/bleeding from massive deceleration.

This is doping, you are boosting your performance through hiding the pain.  You try cycling 1,800 miles in three weeks without the odd injury, or driving a car with the safety harness squashing your bruised lungs and keeping concentration.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Mark_R said:
    Hattigol said:
    Don't be naive, all professional sport involves drugs.  All athletes take anti inflammatory and pain killers. typically by injection into the prone area.  Motorsport is one of the biggest offenders.  No driver ever walks away unhurt from a smash, there is always bruised ribs from the restraints, internal bruising/bleeding from massive deceleration.

This is doping, you are boosting your performance through hiding the pain.  You try cycling 1,800 miles in three weeks without the odd injury, or driving a car with the safety harness squashing your bruised lungs and keeping concentration.....
    I'm being called naive for suggesting that professional cyclists are dopers?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22713
    She won't win, but I'd vote for Dina Asher-Smith. 

Fantastic achievements in 2018 and she also seems like a very intelligent, modest, likeable person - it is called sports personality, after all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Philly_Q said:
    She won't win, but I'd vote for Dina Asher-Smith. 

Fantastic achievements in 2018 and she also seems like a very intelligent, modest, likeable person - it is called sports personality, after all.
    Not sure I'd put her ahead of Thomas, but definitely in the top 3 or 4.

At least the BBC will be putting her on the shortlist for the right reasons, rather than the usual token women so they don't get complaints in the Grauniad about an all male short list.
  • axisus said:
    My vote would be 100% for Lewis Hamilton. 5 x World Champion, 
    I can see that as a great achievement, and he appears to be the best driver of his generation, but my opinion is coloured by the fact that he is usually in the best car, and generally the best car wins. It is the single sport with the most un-level playing field. It's a bit like the Jockey who wins the Grand National, it IS a great achievement but lets be honest, the horse does the 'donkey work'.
    In some seasons that criticism would indeed be true, but this season the Mercedes was NOT definitively the best car. It chopped and changed from race to race, but for much of the season the Ferrari was stronger.

The fact that his team mate Bottas didn't win a single race (Hamilton won 11), got just one pole position (Hamilton got 11), and came 5th in overall standings (161pts behind LH) proves just how impressive Lewis was this season. Easily his best yet IMO.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22713
    Gosh, why did they have to subject us to George Ezra at the end?  I'm only here to watch The Apprentice....
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Hamilton's get up. LOL.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Syrup?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Syrup?
    I reckon so. Also into bullfighting.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Gosh, why did they have to subject us to George Ezra at the end?  I'm only here to watch The Apprentice....
    That was super awkward to watch! The winners were just kind of stood milling about on the stage wondering what the hell to do with themselves! V strange decision by the producers to end like that and not with the winner's speech being the closing note of the event.

Personally I think Lewis should have won for his Michael Jackson-esque outfit alone!  =)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Hattigol said:

I'm being called naive for suggesting that professional cyclists are dopers?
    Thomas did appear on a 'likely' dopers list but you're innocent until proven guilty.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    Nice to see the netball girls win 2 awards - I Have a wife + daughter who play on a regular basis in various leagues, but in the main stream media and sports channels it is very low key - So good for them to pick up such awards
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    So less than a week to go for the SPOTY award

A short list to be made available on the night and voted for live during the show

Surely Geraint is going to win it - I can see Lewis getting in the top 3, but surely Gee will win - Hope so

Interesting vote options for the Greatest Moment of the Year - I favour the netball girls for this

Coach award to G Southgate
    Team award to the Netball team
    World Vote and I can't get excited by either options

Life Time Achievment award - is it to early to give it to A Cook
    Not a bad attempt Mark. Can you select my lottery numbers please?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • I missed it but did Rachel Atherton get a mention? Downhill mountain biking a bit too niche for a big prize but what she has achieved is incredible.
    tFB Trader
    nanoman said:
    I missed it but did Rachel Atherton get a mention? Downhill mountain biking a bit too niche for a big prize but what she has achieved is incredible.
    They did mention one or two champions from 'niche' sports, but can't recall a mention for Rachel
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    So less than a week to go for the SPOTY award

A short list to be made available on the night and voted for live during the show

Surely Geraint is going to win it - I can see Lewis getting in the top 3, but surely Gee will win - Hope so

Interesting vote options for the Greatest Moment of the Year - I favour the netball girls for this

Coach award to G Southgate
    Team award to the Netball team
    World Vote and I can't get excited by either options

Life Time Achievement award - is it to early to give it to A Cook
    Not a bad attempt Mark. Can you select my lottery numbers please?
    As though I'd want to split 50/50 such a prize !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually picked the memorable moment as well, so nearly a full house - Went with the USA gymnast for overseas award following a tip of from my daughter, but my head was for Molinari - so nearly a full house

Good call for Billie Jean to take the life time achievement award