Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lester

What's Hot

Comments

• Bigsby said:
    perhaps people should nickname them 'Teds' rather than 'Lesters'?
    Or ‘Theodores’?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Bigsby said:
    Or ‘Theodores’?
    lol clever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    edited December 2018
    'Lester' is annoying, but I reserve my full anger for people who have 'herds' of guitars.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Bigsby said:
    Or ‘Theodores’?
    That does it. If I ever get a Gibson Les Paul, I shall call it Ruxpin.
    CloudNine said:
    'Lester' is annoying, but I reserve my full anger for people who have 'herds' of guitars.
    Female ones too apparently
  • CloudNine said:
    I only have a herd when I’m thinning it.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    CloudNine said:

Almost as bad as people who say my drummer or my bass player like they own them! Some little pet monkey that performs on command just for them.

How about referring to them as the drummer in my band etc.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Dominic said:
    I think , from all the interviews and excerpts that I have seen that he was a totally obnoxious and rude little man with a serious ego and attitude issue........can't bare his widdly annoying guitar playing either.
    Total contrast to a consummate gentleman and far superior guitar player........Chet Atkins.
    In some of the videos where they have been a duo on shows (although they did 2 albums together) he does his utmost to try and spoil Chet's solos with silly little quips and guitar tomfoolery......because he couldn't stand not being in the limelight for 2 seconds.......he also quips and snipes ........Chet just smiles and carries on playing ten times better.
    Mary Ford had a gutfull of him and ran away.
    He did design a great guitar tho'.

To be fair, I'm not sure a guitarist has been born that'd match Chet Atkins in a duo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22783
    CloudNine said:
    They're only "herds" when you need to "thin" them.

I think I'm guilty of saying that, numerous times.  But I never talk about Lesters.  Or pups.
    I'm going to stick my neck out and say that, while I've never used the term itself, when I've heard it said I've thought it's neutral to quite cool.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Bigsby said:
    fftc said:
    Lebarque said:
    fftc said:
    What was Les Pauls name?
    What's the guitar's name?
    It's named after the 'inventor'.

What's his name again?
    The Les Paul was designed by Gibson, the prototype built by Gibson, and taken to show to Les, who then agreed to endorse it, in return for a fee. The endorsement was under his stage name, Les Paul, not Lester, nor Rhubarb Red. (Shame, that would've been funnier - 'lovely burst on that rhubarb!'). 

Les didn't 'invent' the solid body electric, nor, ironically, the Les Paul, just his 'log' - the person who usually gets the credit for designing the Les Paul is Ted McCarty - so perhaps people should nickname them 'Teds' rather than 'Lesters'?
    Thanks for the history lesson! :s

There was a reason I put 'inventor' in inverted commas!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    Iamnobody said:
    CloudNine said:

Almost as bad as people who say my drummer or my bass player like they own them! Some little pet monkey that performs on command just for them.

To be fair people will refer to ;
    MY doctor
    My Solicitor
    My Accountant
    My Wife !!!!!!!
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
      Iamnobody said:

Yes.  Why settle for 'owning' the Drummer or the Bass Player when you can have the whole band =)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    edited December 2018
    Dominic said:
    Iamnobody said:
    CloudNine said:

To be fair people will refer to ;
    MY doctor
    My Solicitor
    My Accountant
    My Wife !!!!!!!
    Of course and all those listed provide you with a personal service (we’ll hopefully the wife still does).

You’d also refer to a co-worker as My Colleague. and they don’t provide you a defined service so my own argument doesn’t even stand up!

It just doesn’t seem right in a band context to call them ‘my’ whatever. Maybe I’m the odd one! 

Our drummer, our bass player works better.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    See what you mean........
    Would be odd for a Centre Forward to refer to MY Goalkeeper
    but normal for a football team to say OUR Goalkeeper
    perhaps the collective Noun ......ergo ..a Band should say OUR Drummer
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Keith Richard, in his autobiography, tells of a time when Mick Jagger thought the Rolling Stones were his band, and the people in it merely session players formed for Jagger's benefit.

One night the band were staying in a hotel when Jagger decided to tell Charlie Watts off for some slight or other, so he picked up the phone in the middle of the night, waking Watts up, and said something along the lines of "Where's my drummer, get down here now!".

Watts, being a very elegant and careful dresser, took a leisurely shower, and dressed in a three-piece suit with matching silk tie, walked down to Jagger's room and knocked. Jagger opened the door and Watts smacked him in the mouth. Jagger never referred to Watts as "his drummer" again. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited December 2018
    We should compile the ultimate ad:

Here’s my LESTER, SHE plays like BUTTER. BEST guitar I’ve ever played. I’ve done £500 of UPGRADES (including BIGSBY) and RELICING, I put in a lot of time and effort on HER so that’s reflected in the price. I took it to MY tech & they agree SHE’S worth more than I’m asking. 
    First to see will BUY. No postage.

Did I miss anything? 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Here’s my LESTER, SHE plays like BUTTER. BEST guitar I’ve ever played. I’ve done £500 of UPGRADES (including BIGSBY) and RELICING, I put in a lot of time and effort on HER so that’s reflected in the price. I took it to MY tech & they agree SHE’S worth more than I’m asking. 

Did I miss anything? 

Haunting mids?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22783
    crunchman said:

Did I miss anything? 

Haunting mids?
    Pups?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Bigsby said:
    Or ‘Theodores’?
    Or the natural extreme, ‘Logans’.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer