Issues with going wireless

Ok it’s getting near Christmas and I’m starting to experience GAAS (Guitar Accessory Acquisition Syndrome). Have got a decent home set-up of Blackstar HT5R amp, Fender Strat Professional from 2017 ( all the gear - no idea - but I have a lot of fun!). I play at home and often link my iPad to the amp so I can jam with various favourite songs and also listen on wired headphones. I really like to get rid of all the wires. So: 
1) the easy bit I’m probably going to invest in the boss wl20 so I can lose the guitar to amp cable -any thoughts/ recommendations/experiences with this bit of kit - reviews seem largely favourable?
2) I’ve been considering Bluetooth headphones with a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the amp headphones output jack, but have read a lot about latency. Is that going to be a big issue or would RF headphones be a better/ possible alternative?
3) Would there be problems if I also linked my iPad via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth receiver plugged in the amp input - e.g. latency, signals interfering with each other etc.

Any help gratefully appreciated 

Thanks Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    From my experience Bluetooth doesn't transmit very fast. There will be a noticeable latency between what your hands do, and what vibration you feel from the instrument to what you hear over Bluetooth headphones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    edited December 2018
    sgosden said:
    From my experience Bluetooth doesn't transmit very fast. There will be a noticeable latency between what your hands do, and what vibration you feel from the instrument to what you hear over Bluetooth headphones.
    Yes, judging by the Bluetooth on my car, the audio will have a very noticeable latency.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    If you want a wireless connection for your guitar then I have a Samson Airline bug/transmitter and pedal/receiver. It’s fine for home playing and rehearsals. I’ve kept the box too, so it could be wrapped as a Christmas present.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Isn't there a shure wireless system goin in the classifieds? Best wireless system for guitar one can get imo. I love mine :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I've been using the Boss WL20 for a few months and it's a cracking bit if kit.

There is zero latency that I can detect and switching backwards and forwards with a cable there is no difference.

I,ve not used a cable at all really since I got it. It's done a few gigs as well again with no issues.

Goes for about a week between charges.

• I’ve been gigging a line6 G30 for years, no problems at all- best bit of techno-kit I’ve ever bought!
  • Ive used a Line 6 G10 for years, and then recently tried the Xvive which someone bought me from Amazon. Ive been pleasantly surprised at how good and stable it is...

Use at home and rehearse every Monday with it.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3652
    I’ve been gigging a line6 G30 for years, no problems at all- best bit of techno-kit I’ve ever bought!

Ditto.  I use rechargeable batteries and I always make sure that I have a fresh set in at the start of each show.  The stages, i.e. corner of the pub, where most of my gigs take place are usually so small that I could manage using a patch lead, however, it is more important in these confined spaces to minimise leads to avoid trip hazards plus it is very useful during set up and sound check to be able to move around.

Only problem - when you have more than one member of the band using a G30 and you end up on the same channel.

Musicwolf said:
    I’ve been gigging a line6 G30 for years, no problems at all- best bit of techno-kit I’ve ever bought!

Ditto.  I use rechargeable batteries and I always make sure that I have a fresh set in at the start of each show.  The stages, i.e. corner of the pub, where most of my gigs take place are usually so small that I could manage using a patch lead, however, it is more important in these confined spaces to minimise leads to avoid trip hazards plus it is very useful during set up and sound check to be able to move around.

Only problem - when you have more than one member of the band using a G30 and you end up on the same channel.

But you have 6 or 7 different channels to use, right?
  • I think the only thing with using digital wireless at home for guitar is that if you are next to your wi fi router it can be problematic. I thought it'd be fun to run around the house with my strat but every time the router gets between me and the reciever the signal cuts. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I think the only thing with using digital wireless at home for guitar is that if you are next to your wi fi router it can be problematic. I thought it'd be fun to run around the house with my strat but every time the router gets between me and the reciever the signal cuts. 

Some years ago I had a similar problem. For some reason, internet would not work in my music room!
    I found it happened whenever the G30 receiver was on. Even if the transmitter was off! Since the receiver was on my pedalboard, it was on everytime I powered the board and it cut the wifi signal for the internet!
  • Musicwolf said:

Yes I use rechargeable and do exactly the same thing before a gig- had to get a decent patch lead for it and the belt hook thingy gave up the ghost after 10 minutes- I just stick it in my back pocket! 
  • Musicwolf said:

Yes I use rechargeable and do exactly the same thing before a gig- had to get a decent patch lead for it and the belt hook thingy gave up the ghost after 10 minutes- I just stick it in my back pocket! 
    I have the G50 for shows but the bassist in the band bought a G10 and his receiver has been picking up my signal sometimes. Now when we set up I make sure I turn mine on first, so it scans and picks up a frequency then his one goes on. Has sorted out cross-talking and picking up each other's frequencies for the time being.