Anyone use PMT Bham for repairs?

What's Hot
Its my local store, so Im in there a bit mooching around and I get a few bits and pieces, so I thought Id take my Acoutic in as it has a pickup issue, I left a note with it to say I needed by the 14th whatever, its been well over a week now with no contact so I called today and didnt get a very convincing responses, i.e "Oh , the kid that took it in is off today and we dont know whats going on with it "...errr...take a look maybe? ...Not too impressed at the moment ...      

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I'm sure on a couple of occasions they've had my mate's bass in with crackly pots and done nothing, eventually just letting him collect it. Once he asked about a fret redress, collected it after a week to be told "it probably needs the frets doing."
  • There was a really good guy there but he moved on. If I was over your way I'd have probably tried JayDee. I imagined it would be some tiny workshop with John Diggins sat there with a file nut but it's a decent sized industrial unit with quite a few staff. 
    The singer in my band was always going to different places for work on his Gretsch and some of the guitars at his school but they were always problematic in some way and he always ended back at JayDee .
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31370
    I have to say it wouldn't occur to me to take a guitar to PMT to be repaired any more than I'd take a book to Amazon to be rebound. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I bought a Ball Family Reserve Musicman Petrucci JPX that had been setup by PMT in Brum, it’s was virtually unplayable in the state it was in, if that’s indicative of their work then I’d avoid 
  • p90fool said:
    I have to say it wouldn't occur to me to take a guitar to PMT to be repaired any more than I'd take a book to Amazon to be rebound. 
    It's bugging me that I can't remember his name but the chap who was at PMT Brum was really good and even appeared in the odd article in the guitar magazines. Strictly speaking he didn't work for PMT but ran his own business in another part of the building. But, obviously, anything handed to PMT went straight to him ( possibly with a surcharge; IIRC at one point Trevor at Tipton Amps did a lot of the amp work for GuitarGuitar in Brum and they lobbed 20% on top of whatever Trev would have charged you direct). 

If they haven't done the work retrieve the guitar and go elsewhere, I'd suggest JayDee although I don't know if they do acoustics. 
  • Jamie Davey is your man (Jaydee) for electrics. Not sure about acoustics....

Have used Bob Barry before and he was excellent 
  • Ive only used PMT for amp stuff. Which was a good experience FWIW. They had the guy from Pacific Sound and Light there full time at that point. 

I've used JayDee (by the Blues ground) and JDavey (Pattingham) - they're comparable and I'd have no hesitation recommending either. That side of town tho it has to be JayDee.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Jamie Davey is your man (Jaydee) for electrics. Not sure about acoustics....

Yeah I know Jamie, hes done a few things for me, just a bit of a trek...Bob Barry did some stuff for me years ago...is he still going? 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Jamie Davey is your man (Jaydee) for electrics. Not sure about acoustics....

Yeah I know Jamie, hes done a few things for me, just a bit of a trek...Bob Barry did some stuff for me years ago...is he still going? 
    Looks like he is. 

Jamie isn't that far from where I grew up and my mother still lives so I can look like I've spent hours on a family visit whereas in reality I've been getting a guitar fixed. Win, win. Well, apart for my lonely old mother... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom