NGD ...Birds and a trem. Bye bye comfort zone!

What's Hot
As an unashamedly Les Paul guy, I've only briefly dabbled in the world of PRS before, and that was a 245 soap bar, so basically a Lester. 

Fear not, I haven't splashed out silly money on a wall ornament. In fact, this is to become my main session guitar for me to use while teaching kids. 

I generally don't use amps, I tend to go straight through one of my zoom boxes into the PA, and so I wanted a more versatile guitar than the one I'm currently using. 

Enter a pristine, home use only, SE Custom 24 for the bargainous price of £275...minus another 15% because of an Ebay xmas code, and it's a total steal at £233 and a few pennies. 

Picking it up on Saturday, so these aren't my pics yet...more to follow. Nice quilt top though.

Now, wtf does one do with a trem? Every one I've had before has been garbage but I'm led to believe these are a little better...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'll bet you that the thing you find weirdest about it is the 24 fret neck rather than the trem.

The first few frets will seem miles away lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    I'll bet you that the thing you find weirdest about it is the 24 fret neck rather than the trem.

The first few frets will seem miles away lol
    I play a Jag bass...I think I'll be ok! 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Now, wtf does one do with a trem? Every one I've had before has been garbage but I'm led to believe these are a little better...
    Those Korean SE vibratos work reasonably well if set up correctly. Better tuners and well-shaped nut slots would improve tuning stability.

Elsewhere, professional quality control electronics parts improve matters. G&B-sourced pickups suit some models and not others.

Difficult to make any suggestions for the pickup selector switch without knowing what type comes as stock and what improvements you might wish to affect.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I don't know FA about PRS but that sounds like an unbelievable price, congrats! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had an SE Marsden and an SE Tremonti.  The trem on the Tremonti was superb and neither ever had tuning issues.  I reckon the tuners on these are more than OK.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    The trem will work fine, just lube the nut or slightly widen first and it’ll be reet. 
    Those Korean SE vibratos work reasonably well if set up correctly. Better tuners and well-shaped nut slots would improve tuning stability.

Elsewhere, professional quality control electronics parts improve matters. G&B-sourced pickups suit some models and not others.

Difficult to make any suggestions for the pickup selector switch without knowing what type comes as stock and what improvements you might wish to affect.
    The bridge pickup on my SE custom 24 is one of my favourite pickups I've used, defo wouldn't change it for anything.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited December 2018
    thegummy said:
    The bridge pickup on my SE custom 24 is one of my favourite pickups I've used, defo wouldn't change it for anything.
    l feel the same way about the G&B pickups on my S2 Vela. They suit it perfectly.

Elsewhere, for my tastes, some G&B-sourced P90s and humbuckers do not suit their host guitars. I usually replace them with American pickups. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I’ve become confused by PRS SE guitars. They seem to have two different model lines these days, one line made in Korea and the other cheaper guitars made in Indonesia. I’ve owned  few Korean ones over the years and still have a Single Cut with a tremolo. All have been well made instruments but I’ve never really bonded with them, don’t really know why.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    SE standards are Indonesia the rest are Korean I think. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Sounds like a great price. Well done.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2190
    edited December 2018
    Nice!
    grungebob said:
    SE standards are Indonesia the rest are Korean I think. 
    That's it - if it's called SE Standard, it's made in Indonesia and is stripped down and cheaper compared to if it's just SE without the "Standard".
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Always love how the 17th fret looks like this:

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Is this the trainee dentist model?  ;)
    AlexO said:
    Is this the trainee dentist model?  ;)
    Hygienist
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited December 2018
    Picked it up tonight. Finish is much nicer in the flesh than the photos I had before. 

Saddles need dropping a tad, and I don't have a mini hex with me so that will have to wait. Action is pretty high at the upper frets. I'll get that sorted tomorrow. 

Picked it up tonight. Finish is much nicer in the flesh than the photos I had before. 

Saddles need dropping a tad, and I don't have a mini hex with me so that will have to wait. Action is pretty high at the upper frets. I'll get that sorted tomorrow. 
    How do you like the HFS bridge pickup?
  • thegummy said:

Sounds great, although I've not played it in anger yet, as I need to get the action sorted before I can do anything interesting on it. Guy selling it either likes really high action or didn't know how to fix it. I'm talking 3mm+ above about the 9th. 

thegummy said:

Sounds great, although I've not played it in anger yet, as I need to get the action sorted before I can do anything interesting on it. Guy selling it either likes really high action or didn't know how to fix it. I'm talking 3mm+ above about the 9th. 
    I love that pickup :)

If you have any other Asian guitars, see if their allen key works on the saddles