Blackstar Artisan 30H amp plus 212 Cab offered to me - thoughts would be appreciated please

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
I'm selling a CS Strat and have been offered a couple of things plus cash as a trade - one was a Les Paul (see Guitars section!) which got a pretty universal thumbs down primarily on the basis of it's colour, which I agreed with.

The other is (as the title suggests) a Blackstar Artisan 30H amp plus 212 Cab, described as being in 'lovely' condition - value would be about £1000. I'm unlikely to want to keep them, as I'm just a bedroom player (fnaar!) and I'm not familiar with Blackstar amps, so, a couple of questions for the experts....

1) I like the jazzy side of blues, and I play quietly - any point me even thinking about keeping them?
2) If I sold them, would I be likely to catch a cold at £1000?

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid questions. 
Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5730
    The most popular of the series seems to be the 15 1x12 combo and the seem to fetch £300/400 around here these days. They are fabulous and a steal for that money but I can’t see you getting anywhere near £1000 for the 30 head and cab version. 

It might well sound amazing for jazzy blues at home but definitely like using a wrecking ball to break open a walnut. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Interesting, thanks - I was going on the new prices of about £1800 for the two, but really don't know what the second hand values are like. 
    Call me Dave.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5730
    Compared to the new prices, the whole Artisan range are an incredible bargain. Really nicely built, quality amps but not a wise investment. 
  • The Artisan 30h is a beautiful amp - loved mine. BUT! You wouldn’t get close to £1000 for one - they just don’t sell. You’d be lucky to get £500. They’re a steal at their market value, but are less popular than a Lost Prophets T-Shirt. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Best amp (maybe the only good amp?) Blackstar ever made, but super uncool since the company started marketing exclusively to floppy haired teenaged metallers.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    Had a 1x12.......it was decent but not truly special in any way
    really hard to sell.......30w are even harder to sell
    I think 30w is £600 in mint condition
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1627
    I don't follow prices but I agree, the amp is not going to be a good short term investment. But, and this is just MY PERSONAL THOUGHT!! I can see a day when production of their hand wired amps comes to an end. The cost of GOOD valves can only go ape shit in the next few decades as (I hope!) the world becomes ever "greener"? Valve are dreadfully inefficient and poluting to make. China and Russia don't, at the moment give much of a shit about that but I think world opinion and pressure will change that, expecially once we are rid of that silly orange person.

So, you have a very well made amp that is totally "old school" construction. It is very unlikely to go wrong, valves aside (and even THE worst case valve meltdown will not damage the BSH overengineered internal components) Sounds great and I would expect it to command a lot of money in 20yrs time. Today, not so much.

Dave.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    It's hard to think of anything more 'saleable' than a custom shop strat. If it doesn't sell the price is.........
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    It sounds like this deal is heavily weighted in favour of the other person. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    edited December 2018
    Sounds like a worse deal than Brexit. Have you got Theresa May negotiating for you?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, I don't know the market, hence the asking of advice, which is all taken on board and appreciated, thanks .
    Call me Dave.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    .....but are less popular than a Lost Prophets T-Shirt. 
    Rolling in the aisles!! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    DB1 said:

1) I like the jazzy side of blues, and I play quietly - any point me even thinking about keeping them?
    To be balanced (Dave will laugh :) ) - as long as you can physically fit it in the space, it's maybe not as bad a choice as you would think. Obviously it's miles too powerful really, but they have a good master volume, and the 'big' sound you can only get from a big amp even at low volume. They have the typical dark, tight Blackstar voicing so probably ideal for what would call 'muddy' jazz/blues tones... ie smooth, middy and with roll-off top-end - everything I don't like, but that's just me ;). And Blackstars do run very quietly, as in lack of background noise.

DB1 said:

Yes, although the head and cab is worth a bit more than the combo due to rarity and not weighing as much as a car in one piece - although obviously the combined weight is even more. I think you'd be lucky to see £750 though - £500 for the head and £250 for the cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    DB1 said:

To be balanced (Dave will laugh :) ) - as long as you can physically fit it in the space, it's maybe not as bad a choice as you would think. Obviously it's miles too powerful really, but they have a good master volume, and the 'big' sound you can only get from a big amp even at low volume. They have the typical dark, tight Blackstar voicing so probably ideal for what would call 'muddy' jazz/blues tones... ie smooth, middy and with roll-off top-end - everything I don't like, but that's just me ;). And Blackstars do run very quietly, as in lack of background noise.

DB1 said:

Yes, although the head and cab is worth a bit more than the combo due to rarity and not weighing as much as a car in one piece - although obviously the combined weight is even more. I think you'd be lucky to see £750 though - £500 for the head and £250 for the cab.
    Thanks, that's great - interesting notes about the sound. I don't like particularly bright tones, but not muddy either. On the pricing side, I've had a look round, and I think you're right. I don't need another amp and am selling the Carr Sportsman as it is (and want to make room rather than take extra room up) so it would only be to sell on. I don't want to rip anyone off, but don't want to catch a cold either, so that's all very helpful, thanks. 
    Call me Dave.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    Gigged that exact rig for years. Loved it, sold it on when I stopped gigging and got £600 for the head and cab both in fantastic condition.  Took ages to sell as well.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1627
    Your might not like the absence of an FX loop? In fact you can kludge one using the 2 jacks on the two channels (one is all ECC83, tother ECC83 and EF86 but since the 86 is used in a low gain mode you are getting "pentode tone" but without the noise and microphonics. I think I only ever change one. O/C heater. VERY rare occurance with any valve.

Dave.
  • Used value is half what they’re claiming. Great amps though! 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Lovely amp but ask for whatever that guy is on for coming up with that suggested value.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • I got my 30h and the 4x12 cab for 600 second hand