Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Age related deterioration

What's Hot

In my head I'm still 19. 19 was a good year. :)

It is only when I look in the mirror and go "WHOAH! Who THE FUCK IS THAT?!" that I realise that I'm not.

I mean, I am physically still very fit with all the sport I do - however as 45 receeds into very distant memory I have noticed that things are staring to fail. No - not *that* (yet >.<  ) but in general things take much longer to heal.

In particular - things that have fallen apart in the last 18 months:

* Eye sight. My prescription has never changed since I was 17...and most of the time I don't wear glasses - I just bump into things. I only wear them for driving and use contact lenses for sport and motorcycle riding - however at a recent opticians consultation my prescription had changed - slightly for the better. I was all "YAYY!" about this - till the optician pointed out that I was going to get long sighted now as well as short sighted. And now .... yeah.... with my glasses (lenses) off I can see tiny things up close...with my lenses in I am reading things at arms length. WTAF?!

* Broken teeth. This is probably related to other stress in my life - but apparantly I have been grinding my teeth whilst asleep - and this has resulted in a broken molar that will have to be removed at some point. FFS

* Joints failing. This one I am very  >.< about - whilst I am physically very fit and healthy, due to NHS lack of caring and competance I have no joint in the "knuckle" of my big toe. Thankfully, for my sport, this is my "back" foot and doesn't matter - but it does mean that I will never run again and I will need an operation to remove the remnants of the joint and fuse the toe to the rest of the foot.

* Hair. I remember having *lots* of hair... FML

* Wrinkles - I dunno. I don't care about those and they are probably stress related....

So - how is everyone else falling apart?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Excess nose and ear hair. What the fuck is that all about?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79 said:
    Excess nose and ear hair. What the fuck is that all about?
    Yes! I had heard of people getting hair in their ears...I didn't realise that it meant "perhaps growning from your earlobe"...

It is like my hair got bored and has taken off on an explore around my body
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Just been the barbers and she stuck the clippers down me ear hole ffs. Then asked if I want my eyebrows trimming. Then she told me to sit up straight. Then to add insult to injury she showed me a picture of the back of some balding old fellas head and asked me what I thought of it. Bloody egg in the nest. She insisted it was a mirror. Won't be going back there... 
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11288
    There comes a time in the lives of us all when waking up with nothing new hurting is as good as a day will get.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited December 2018
    Don't talk to me about hair.

It's growing on my back, shoulders, ears, nose. And if I don't get my eyebrows trimmed I resemble Leonid Brezhnev.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    edited December 2018
    Since turning 40 my bladder has become a lying bastard
    All practice and no theory
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Ten or fifteen years ago, when I looked into mirrors, I detected resemblances to my parents. Now, I detect resemblances to my grandparents. 

Despite being the elder of two brothers, I have retained more scalp coverage than he has. I sometimes think that my indifference to baldness is the very thing that has delayed its onset.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bad back, bad knees, right eye is not quite as good as the left, can't get away with living off junk food and no exercise any more.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Eyesight - you'll find that timing varies a lot, but that seems to be a very common change circa 50yrs

So ....

eyesight deteriorated - tick

arthritis in hands - tick  (sadly poor guitar technique related - lazy thumb, and too many barre chords - trying to remember to place thumb parallel to the neck)

arthritis in (one) foot - tick

Night-time cramps, especially in the shins - FML it is painful - a friend suggested a couple of squares of 70+% dark chocolate per day - this seems to have had some effect .... we'll see.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Similar tale here....

In my head, I'm still nineteen.  What brings it home is going to gigs...

Went to see the Exodus gig in Camden last week and I think I've only just about physically recovered... standing up for hours on end makes my feet ache for days afterwards and despite being closer to fifty than forty, I still make the occasional foray into the pit for thrash and hardcore gigs (Most of the time it's me being a paranoid parent trying to ensure that my son is not being trampled to death).  The difference is that these days I can only last about five minutes before having to retire to the side or back of the venue. 

I'm clinging on to my youth, but it won't be long before I have to give up such activities. Although my GP did refer to me as "a relatively young man". Which was nice.  :)
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Oh, and if you want a list of ailments...

Constantly sore neck, knees are buggered, high-ish blood pressure, rotated pelvis, male pattern baldness, short sighted and fungal infection of four toenails. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have to kneel now to wash the wheels of my car and push myself up by putting my hand under the wheel arch on top of the wheel. Also can't tie my shoes standing up, I have to go down on one knee or cock my foot up on the toilet. I always wondered why older people wear slip on shoes.

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    dafuzz said:

Prostate check?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50 said:
    dafuzz said:

Prostate check?
    That sounds like an offer :#
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    JD50 said:
    dafuzz said:

Prostate check?

hahahaha have a lol
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    JD50 said:
    dafuzz said:

Prostate check?

Aw man that genuinely did not occur to me... I guess you're right though :(
    All practice and no theory

• I'm pretty good, for 42, I think.

Play football every week, gym, various classes.

Shoulder is knackered since trying Ninja Warriors in May, have been doing physio but now going for some scans to check for impingement and calcification, whatever that is.  Wrist is bad from a break at 25, doesn't bend right and has the unfortunate luck of being connected to my bad shoulder.

Stretch, eat well and keep moving - that's what I say (obviously won't combat ear hair or bad eyes...…)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    JD50 said:
    dafuzz said:

Prostate check?
    "Are you sure that's how you check the prostrate?"
  • Bloody barber asked me "You still working then boss?"
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Kilgore said:
    Don't talk to me about hair.

It's growing on my back, shoulders, ears, nose. And if I don't get my eyebrows trimmed I resemble Leonid Brezhnev.
    Sadly, if - like me - you know who Leonid Brezhnev is and also get the reference, you are that old.