Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jumping ship to Android.

What's Hot
After 10 years of having an iPhone I've decided to jump ship to Android.

Frustrated by Apple's approach to taking away functionality and charging more for it.
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 incoming- should arrive tomorrow.
Anyone else got one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    I moved from apple to android in april - Managed to have everything working as my iPhone by using google apps or onedrive. Did it as i wasn't prepared to pay apple prices for a new phone and wouldn't go back now. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited December 2018
    I'm curious to know which guitar apps work well in android?
    I've been holding off 'til getting something apple, because the variety and integration of software looks much better.
  • Never looked back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    I thought that there was some very basic feature lacking in Android that hampers it for real-time musicmaking? Something to do with low-level timing, perhaps.

I use one (low-tech Moto E) for satnav, remote control of my digicam, etc. There's an old iPad 3 here, that has a few musicmaking apps (iSEM, iMS-20, Modstep) but I've not bothered to see if they are available on Android.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

I just use a computer for recording.  Android has a built in voice recorder if you want to jot an idea down, but for anything proper I'd use a computer anyway rather than fiddle around on a phone screen.

If you play live with a digital desk and have the option to control your monitor mix from a phone, that's the one thing you may need to check compatibility.  Some desk manufacturers don't have full Android support.  Where I normally play, we have an Allen & Heath desk that has an Android app for controlling your personal monitor mix, but the full app for running the whole desk is Apple only at the moment as far as I know.  Someone has released an unofficial Android one though.  Behringer support both.  Not sure about Yamaha or Mackie.

The only other music app I use on my phone is a tuner.  There are several tuner apps available for Android.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I don't use a phone for music making.
    I have synths/guitars/drum machines and various computers to create music.
    I always found iPhone apps several limited for making music.
  • I moved from Apple to Android earlier this year.  I really like Android software and find it far more customizable than any of the Apple software.  I will be moving from MacOS to Windows in the New Year as well.  
  • I use android.

It's much of a muchness - to open apps, you tap them  to download them you go to a store, to use headphones you use a cable or Bluetooth, it makes calls, nice screen, Internet blah. 

I don't really understand the phone "wars" anymore - they all work in the same way and it's quite hard to get a bad phone. My girlfriend uses a Samsung s5 neo and it's ace - responsive, good battery (replaceable, no less)  water resistant and is 3 years old so no more contract. No better or worse than an iPhone of the same gen  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    I'm thinking about it. Apple money for phones is getting increasingly stupid.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

Especially when you can get something like a Moto G5 for a bit over £100.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Only problem with android seems to be audio latency - Apple audio drivers are simple and great, as long as you get a class-compliant audio device you can plug it into an IOS device and it'll just work. Not so with Android.

But, I mean, as a phone, that's just a non-issue to me so I use android.

It does mean that I keep my old iPad around for the soft-synths, midi use etc.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    i don't use my phone for making music, just as I don't use my guitar to make phone calls.

I've been an android user since it existed. I cannot for the life of me understand how someone can spend a grand on a mobile phone.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586

Don't look up the price of the Note 9 then!

Lovely bit of kit though - the S-Pen is brilliant, I have it on my Tab S3.

@octatonic - have a go of MyScript Nebo if you want to try note-taking - it has about the best scrawl-to-text conversion I've used.

My other standing recommendation for Android is to use Microsoft Launcher, because it means you can make any Android device behave in exactly the same way.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Did the same thing couple of years ago. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812
    I tried, did android for 2 weeks and went back to iPhone, I simply found myself lost on Android, it was too customisable...I know people love that aspect but I just want a phone that is simple now and what made me realised I didn’t like Android is I customised the phone to behave like iOS.

so I thought why am I doing this?  Picked up a iPhone XR, upgrade from iPhone 6.

its not that expensive as it seems as I keep my phones for 4 years before upgrading. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I think people make the choice for different reasons. I’m a hefty Mac user for work and home, and as such I have a lot invested in the ecosystem.

I find windows 10 to be okay-ish (have a boot camp win 10 install I use for quite a bit of work stuff) but the majority of my time is spent in OS X

I’ve tried Android but integrating back to OS X was frankly painful so gave up. 

IOS isn’t perfect but it does the job for me. A phone is a tool at the end of the day 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited December 2018
    Double post due to shit iPhone interface - oh the irony
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2018
    I've only got two music related apps on my Android device, Chord! & TouchDaw. Similar to others, I use a computer for everything else.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    edited December 2018
    I switched to a p20 pro earlier this year.  So I am paying SE prices for something comparable to a top end iPhone

I don't miss the iPhone at all.  

The best bit is battery life, especially when I see my wife having to plug her iPhone in twice a day.  I have done 4 hrs of sat nav  and still not needed to plug the phone in when I got home.  It's never been below 10%.  I expected to buy a spare cable but it seems pointless now

There are quirks.  It's more customisable, but that means some options may introduce bugs.  Apple stuff does just work, until the battery runs out

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've just dropped my contract to SIM-only, as I didn't want to spend £1k on a mobile comms device including phone functionality.

I'll stick with my iPhone 7 for a while.

I also think the top bit of the current iPhone display is silly, where it extends up either side of the speaker.

Also, my son has just tapped me for £2k!