Build pics added: Finally getting a custom built guitar - but pickup choice is tough!

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
edited April 2019 in Guitar
I've finally decided to get a custom-built guitar, having cycled through tons of guitars, mostly PRS.  I've actually settled on two keepers (a 2008 Custom 22 with a rosewood neck and a 2007 Hollowbody I - at least until the custom build is done) but still fancy getting something entirely fitting my tastes.

It will be based on Williams Guitars' lil '58 but modded:

http://williamsguitars.co.uk/electrics/lil-58/

So, I've opted for the classic mahogany body/maple top.  Neck will most likely be roasted maple (oiled) with an ebony fretboard.  The top will use very local maple which isn't like the PRS-style tight lines which I first envisaged but something more individual - with a story.  I'm going to go for a tremolo with a piezo installed, as I've fallen in love with the Helix's acoustic sound using IRs.

Now, the pickups...I'm a bit lost.  PRS' 58/15LT pickups sound great in a Custom 22 I had with similar spec to above - but I can find out very little about their spec, and they're not freely available.  They take high and low gain equally well and have a nice vintage sound but also capable of lovely fat rock tones.  I play bluesy/jazz stuff (I like a nice warm neck pickup) but also enjoy cranking out some thrash.  I'll also likely get mini toggles for coil-tapping.

Any recommendations?  Or suggestions on the best wiring method for coil taps without big volume drops?  The PRS 408 does it incredibly well but I think it's down to the pickup, rather than wiring - although might be entirely wrong.

I will, of course, post pics when it's done in a few months' time!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    You can't split a normal humbucker without a volume drop. That's why I made a special one around that entire concept.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Alegree said:
    You can't split a normal humbucker without a volume drop. That's why I made a special one around that entire concept.
    C'mon, Mysterio, tell me more! :) @Alegree ;

My band, Red For Dissent
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited December 2018
    The LT stands for Low Turn, they measure <8K  So any medium output PAF style should be close.  If you ask 'which PAF' you'll get a million different answers, my faves are Deacci's but Bare Knockle Stormy Monday or a stormy Monday/Mule combo would be nice.

IMO low output humbuckers sound shit when tapped, but if you do go that way I'd suggest push-pull pots, mini toggles are the work of the devil

Congrats on the Williams, he makes some stunning guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @John_A - just preference on push-pull ahead of toggles?  I find toggles quicker and easier.

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Fair-enough, it is your guitar :)
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    C'mon, Mysterio, tell me more! :) @Alegree ;
    If you insist :)

My Chameleon humbuckers have the PAF tone you're after, then in the high output mode split modes they'll retain approximately the same output level.
    https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/humbucker-sized-pickups/products/chameleon-humbuckers-the-most-versatile-humbuckers
  • @Alegree - are there any other demos out there?  Interesting.  No disrespect intended but the playing makes the demos a bit hard to listen to.

My band, Red For Dissent
    tFB Trader
    @Alegree - are there any other demos out there?  Interesting.  No disrespect intended but the playing makes the demos a bit hard to listen to.
    Yeah, I partnered with a couple of great Youtubers to do some video demos.

• Alegree said:
    In the original spec, he said "coil tap". If this is being precise i.e. "tap" as opposed to "split", then the volume drop off is considerably less with "tapping".

Also, as I have recently discovered in relation to "coil splitting" with 2 Humbuckers plus 2 Volume Controls, when you "split" one or both Pickups, there's a lot less volume drop off (with both Humbuckers engaged) when unequal volumes are used.
  • @ArchtopDave Fair points from you both. I think it might be a fruitless pursuit and best sticking to what I use - humbucking sounds. But I can’t help but think in the back of my mind that it’s worth adding the option, even though I hardly use it (due to volume drop).

@Alegree Sadly, I don’t think either video sells the product well. I’m intrigued, truly, and would love to give them a go but the only thing that would, for me, sell them to me is straight audio files played well. Too risky to put in this, I think, unfortunately. Message me if you want to discuss further!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited December 2018
    If your after a low wind paf type pickup like the 58/15LT then Montys PAFs are great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited December 2018
    On the coil tapping, AFAIK the later PRS guitars don't completely remove the second coil when "tapped", or whatever word you want to use.  They use a resistor so you get part of the output of the second coil, and don't the big volume drop and weedy sound you normally get from one coil of a humbucker.

As far as I know, the later PRS pickups are reasonably PAF like, so as others have suggested, something like Bare Knuckle, Monty's or Oil City should be in the ballpark.  If you really want the PRS 58/15LTs then I'm sure an overpriced set will turn up on Feebay at some point.  I'd just put in pickups by one of the British makers to start with.  It's easy enough to change them if you don't like them.
  • crunchman said:
    On the coil tapping, AFAIK the later PRS guitars don't completely remove the second coil when "tapped", or whatever word you want to use.  They use a resistor so you get part of the output of the second coil, and don't the big volume drop and weedy sound you normally get from one coil of a humbucker.

As far as I know, the later PRS pickups are reasonably PAF like, so as others have suggested, something like Bare Knuckle, Monty's or Oil City should be in the ballpark.  If you really want the PRS 58/15LTs then I'm sure an overpriced set will turn up on Feebay at some point.  I'd just put in pickups by one of the British makers to start with.  It's easy enough to change them if you don't like them.
    This is the whole point of coil tapping : you can vary the amount of “tap” to suit whatever you want. As opposed to coil splitting where one coil is being completely removed from the equation. The big problem is that people use the two words without care, so that this can result in confusion.
  • Creamery looking likely as pickup choice. ‘57 or ‘59.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    Prs Starla pickups are great for everything. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    I'm a bit old fashioned, No coil taps, I like my pickups with 2 wires and thats it

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    edited January 2019
    My latest dilemma is whether to go with a compound radius.  I'd planned on getting one to the size of PRS wide fat with 10" radius, as it's what I know, but leaning to towards 10-14 to make soloing easier.

The top will be using some of this local fallen maple (same tree!):

And the colour will be the red of these, I think, but darker with a dark burst:

My band, Red For Dissent
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    That blue is stunning
  • sweepy said:
    That blue is stunning
    It is.  I think I want red though!

My band, Red For Dissent