Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

FX for warm blues tone required???

What's Hot

Comments

• Yeah, with no amp pedals aren't the right direction at this stage. What's your budget?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Amplitube Custom Shop is free, and that would be a good starting point. Some fairly good basic amps (Blackface and Marshall types) and a range of basic pedals (OD, Delay etc etc). It sounds way, way better than a Zoom G3 through headphones. The plus point is that you can buy and download other pedals, amps, cabs etc should you wish to.
  • rico said:
    pbguitar said:
    p90fool said:
    The answer is partly dependent on your guitar and amp, what are you using? 
    Sorry for the late response. I thought I would get email notifications!  Anyway, I have a fender strat(jimi Hendrix). I don’t have an amp because I need to practice with headphones. 
    This is your first issue. For headphone practice I’d recommend a bit of software - something like Bias FX or amplitude or guitar rig or even GarageBand. 
    One option is that I could plug the pedal into my computer and then plug/connect the headphones into the computer? Or another option would be to buy a cheap amplifier and the plug headphones into that?

• rico said:
    pbguitar said:
    p90fool said:
    The answer is partly dependent on your guitar and amp, what are you using? 
    Sorry for the late response. I thought I would get email notifications!  Anyway, I have a fender strat(jimi Hendrix). I don’t have an amp because I need to practice with headphones. 
    This is your first issue. For headphone practice I’d recommend a bit of software - something like Bias FX or amplitude or guitar rig or even GarageBand. 
    I’ve used GarageBand and AmpliTube but can’t get the sound I am after! Any ideas on configuration and setting would be good. I’ve searched the net and at this point failed to find anything!

• Yeah, with no amp pedals aren't the right direction at this stage. What's your budget?
    I am happy to spend around £200 as long as I get the sound I am after
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    It has to be said, try a Boss Katana. Then you get an amp and pedals all in one and you can plug in headphones. They're perfect for home playing. 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    With that budget I'd get  a Katana

Here is the In The Blues review:

The 50 watt version would be perfect for you and has simulated pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks perfect. The sound is exactly what I am looking for. Great
  • The 100 retails for around £280. What are the lower priced model like? And how do they compare, as far as functionality and more importantly sound, to the 100?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Rewqap said:
    nickp said:
    or the pedal that robben ford uses - can't remember what it is at the moment
    Lovepedal Zendrive
    Wis'd - there's a thread on TDPRI for the settings --> www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/95662-robben-ford-zendrive.html  (seems to be down today)

Larry Carlton uses a boutique (of boutique) version --> https://equipboard.com/pros/larry-carlton/zenkudo-overdrive-pedal

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    tFB Trader
    pbguitar said:
    The 100 retails for around £280. What are the lower priced model like? And how do they compare, as far as functionality and more importantly sound, to the 100?

The 100 Watt is mostly just louder (I have one). 

The 50 has half the power and a slightly smaller cabinet and lower powered speaker I doubt you'd notice the difference until you had it up quite loud.

One thing to mention is that the foot switch Shane is using in the video is not included and is quite pricey, but it's not essential for home noodling.
  • Yeah, Katana for that budget takes a lot of beating
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited December 2018
    pbguitar said:
    The 100 retails for around £280. What are the lower priced model like? And how do they compare, as far as functionality and more importantly sound, to the 100?

Apart from the power, as far as I’m aware, the main difference is that the 100w version has double the number of preset stores. I seem to recall that the footswitch possibilities might also be better on the 100W.

i own the 50W version and it goes from bedroom type volumes to very loud, and the functionality is more than adequate for my needs
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • pbguitar said:

The 100 Watt is mostly just louder (I have one). 

The 50 has half the power and a slightly smaller cabinet and lower powered speaker I doubt you'd notice the difference until you had it up quite loud.

One thing to mention is that the foot switch Shane is using in the video is not included and is quite pricey, but it's not essential for home noodling.
    What’s the katana mini amp like? This is well within my budget
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    edited December 2018
    Find another £30 and get a Yamaha THR10C. You could get one for less than £200 s/h.
  • Struggling to see one for less than £200. What does it give me more than boss katana mini amp?
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    You don't need a pedal to get a warm blues sound, just a neck pickupand just enough gain. 

See what is cheap, small and local with a headphone out on Gumtree.  Must be loads as everyone seems to be replacing everything with a Katana :).

Ask questions here about it.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    pbguitar said:
    Struggling to see one for less than £200. What does it give me more than boss katana mini amp?
    Mini doesn’t have the built in effects (apart from a fairly basic delay). A completely different beast from the 50 and the 100.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    tFB Trader
    pbguitar said:
    Struggling to see one for less than £200. What does it give me more than boss katana mini amp?

PMT gear4music and Gak all £180

The mini is a totally different amp and much more basic.
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    Don’t spend any money. There is no reason you cannot get that sound from GarageBand or AmpliTube. You need add drive to the amp you’re using on them or add an overdrive pedal (on the software). 
    How are you connecting your guitar to your computer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom