Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Banning of Gender Stereotyping in adverts.....

What's Hot
This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Don't care. Adverts are generally shit anyway.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Shame they don't ban adverts altogether.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay, not quite what the title says.

Sassafras said:
    But then we'd need a system like some kind of paid for licence for television. Then we'd need a licence to own spoons and it's the slippery slope to living in a communist state. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    I plan on playing dog-whistle bingo in this thread. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • The ban will cover men struggling with household chores or girls being less academic than boys.
    CAP highlighted other examples that could be "problematic", including:

Situations that depict a man or a woman failing to succeed at something because of their gender, such as a man's inability to change nappies or a woman's inability to park a car

Adverts that belittle a man for carrying out stereotypically "female" tasks

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, what's objectionable about the above?

Being perfectly capable of domestic tasks and parenting I find the 'useless bloke' thing offensive, and why should my daughter be dissuaded from doing something just because it's perceived as a 'boy thing'?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Okay, not quite what the title says.

Sassafras said:
    But then we'd need a system like some kind of paid for licence for television. Then we'd need a licence to own spoons and it's the slippery slope to living in a communist state. 
    And why not? There are far too many spoons around. In my day we had to scoop liquids into our mouths with our hands. The youth of today are spoilt rotten.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    The stereotypes are annoying.  The 'useless man hurt his back, clever woman fixed it with overpriced Ibuprofen' thing annoys the living piss out of me.  Mrs R. objected to the Worthington ("Man thing") ads, being as she likes an ale from time to time.

I don't know why it's taken a ban to sort it though, because here's the thing - it's bad advertising.  I've avoided buying products when I don't like their marketing.  I would have thought it would be like some sort of natural selection.

Mrs. R. still avoids Worthington, but that's 100% because it's shit-awful beer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'd rather they banned abusing classic records on adverts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm kinda "meh" about "offensive" adverts. If they are bad adverts then let the market do its job - people won't buy it. I am against the state interfering in private enterprise. I'd be less against (although still against it) if they could very clearly define exactly what they are doing - but laws and bans based on "muh feelings" never end well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    My wife doesn’t allow me to watch adverts. Especially while the washing up needs doing.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

http://i68.tinypic.com/504qko.jpg
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me, what's objectionable about the above?

Being perfectly capable of domestic tasks and parenting I find the 'useless bloke' thing offensive, and why should my daughter be dissuaded from doing something just because it's perceived as a 'boy thing'?

I find adverts in that vein lazy, laughable even, but I certainly don't get offended. Also, if my daughter's worldview was being shaped by adverts on the TV I don't think I could lay the blame at the feet of a few ad-men (or women - women can make terrible adverts too).

If I am going to get offended, or somewhat close to it, then it would be about a regulatory body imposing their moral choices on me and claiming it is on my behalf - it's not! Going back a few years but I remember a number of ISPs were allowed to advertise their limited use broadband packages as unlimited - if they can't get that right, they're not fit for purpose.

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    There's a fucking awful Amazon one at the moment where the guy looks after the baby with the help of one of their gadgets... Booooaaaaaakkkkkk...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • ewal said:
    There's a fucking awful Amazon one at the moment where the guy looks after the baby with the help of one of their gadgets... Booooaaaaaakkkkkk...
    Yeh, it’s awful and the one that came to mind when I saw the OP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    I think we're in a particularly shit phase for adverts.

It's either "buy our Giftmas tat" or misery-Olympics charity guilt trips. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Sporky said:

I think it's because they know that nobody is really watching. 

When there was only one commercial channel adverts were almost a shared cultural event - you could quote or parody an ad and everyone would know what you meant. 

There's a very different ethos behind an ad which might run for a year and be seen by the entire population compared to a throwaway clip which will be buried in the general noise instantly.  
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited December 2018
    p90fool said:8
    Sporky said:

I think it's because they know that nobody is really watching. 

When there was only one commercial channel adverts were almost a shared cultural event - you could quote or parody an ad and everyone would know what you meant. 

There's a very different ethos behind an ad which might run for a year and be seen by the entire population compared to a throwaway clip which will be buried in the general noise instantly.  
    There's some good points here. I don't think the 'quotable' ad is entirely dead, but maybe these days it's dictated by budget. The long-running marketing themes (meerkats spring to mind) are coming from the clients who have megabucks to spend. 

On the flipside of the coin I saw an ad for a product the other day designed to hide the fact you'd been for a particularly bad smelling poo. V. I. Poo? I might be making this up. Pretty sure it was suggested in the ad that it'd make a great gift. 

With this level of desperation in mind, maybe the cheap-shot gender stereotype ad comes down to cash, and hard-pressed PR trying to make maximum impact on a budget that wouldn't buy you a round of drinks in the Northern Quarter.

(Those not from Manchester insert your nearby comparatively expensive drinking spot here.)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Gender stereotyping - I've told Mrs9000 not to worry her pretty little head about it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812
    Is that mean we will see women doing Diet Coke adverts topless to even the score?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom