Best OD to push a big muff?

What's Hot
5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
bit of a follow on from another thread, but I'm looking for a mild drive to push a muff (before the muff, and it's a Swollen Pickle) for a different sound. I'm using a soul food at the moment, but I think this is probably best placed later in the chain as a boost or stand alone drive. 

A timmy clone like the Caline Pure Sky seems like a good option, or maybe a tube screamer, bad monkey or Joyo sweet baby drive? the Way Huge Angry Troll looks like an option too. Views?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Anything TS like with a big mid kick will work.

Alternatively something like a spark boost where you can shape the EQ works well. Mostly you want to pull out bass so it cuts a bit more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Klone/Soul Food
  • Klone/Soul Food
    Yes, that's what I have now, but it's also a lovely boost later in the chain. May genuinely end up having 2.
  • My favourite to push the muff atm is a Big Ear Loaf pedal. It's actually a low/med gain fuzz itself. Just sounds incredible with the Muff.
    I do admit I was massively disappointed in it when I first got it and was considering selling until I found out how good it sounded with the Big Muff. 

As for an actual OD to push it, I use the Earthquaker Palisades, but that's after it in the chain and always on a low gain setting. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7743
    I think a lot of people misunderstand the Big Muff. 

It’s pretty much designed to do one thing, which it does excellently. 

Ita really designed to be used with an amp running at full pelt, pretty much maxed out.  Add the Big Muff in front of that maxed out amp, and it sounds incredible. It doesn’t really want to be used as part of a pedal platform into a clean amp.

just my 2p worth. 
  • TheMarlin said:

Ita really designed to be used with an amp running at full pelt, pretty much maxed out.  Add the Big Muff in front of that maxed out amp, and it sounds incredible. It doesn’t really want to be used as part of a pedal platform into a clean amp.

just my 2p worth. 
    Think Sir David would disagree! 

“Ken sent me.”
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7743
    Well, he does play pretty loud. 
  • You could kick a boss bd2 into it, turn down the gain.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    bit of a follow on from another thread, but I'm looking for a mild drive to push a muff (before the muff, and it's a Swollen Pickle) for a different sound. I'm using a soul food at the moment, but I think this is probably best placed later in the chain as a boost or stand alone drive. 

A timmy clone like the Caline Pure Sky seems like a good option, or maybe a tube screamer, bad monkey or Joyo sweet baby drive? the Way Huge Angry Troll looks like an option too. Views?
    What amp are you using?
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    TheMarlin said:

just my 2p worth. 
    I've found that. 

The louder I turn the vol on the pedal, or i guess the vol on the amp, the better they sound. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313

I use a Pure Sky for exactly what you’re talking about, except I’m using a Hoof rather the Swollen Pickle. Works really well, it pushes the fuzz and smoothes it out nicely for lead. The Pure Sky is a nice light drive by itself too, brilliant value for money as well. 
  • Amp wise, just a kustom 1x12, but this is building on basis I may go gigging next year and get something bigger. 

Go to hear about the blue sky, as that seems to be what I'm looking for. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I use a EQD Bows - it's a germanium boost - to push my muff-style fuzz. 
  • I'm using the ThorpyFX Fallout Cloud, and tbh... because it has the built in EQ, I just hit the front of it with an MXR Micro Amp, and I get a really nice pushed vibe that way. I boost the treble on the pedal itself to brighten it up.

Bye!

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Rat -> Muff -> verge of breakup amp :-) set the dist. and sustain controls conservatively