Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tinny strat bridge pickup

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 616
What does everybody do about making these a bit fuller sounding ... don't get me wrong it's a lively sound could just do with a bit more body for me ...is it pedals or replace for mini humbucker..this is what I done with my other strat ....also the single coil seems to Buzz a bit until you get the right angle to the amp ..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Wire one of the tone controls to the bridge pickup. Rolling off the tone a bit certainly helps. In terms of pickups, a hotter pickup can help. I've got a Syemour Duncan Twangbanger in one of my strats and really like it, it has bit more beef. Did try the Seymour Duncan SSL-5, but found it too dark.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Ibanez Tubescreamer

Turning the tone knob down

Might even be the specific pickups - mine is a Fat 50s and I never find it as problematic as others seem to find their Strat bridge pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    edited December 2018
    As someone has already suggested you could wire it to the tone control or if you like the sound of the mini humbucker in your other Strat fit one to this guitar. I’ve limited experience of mini humbuckers but do have a Seymour Duncan lil’59 in one of my guitars and it sounds great with smoother top end fuller mids than a single coil. Another option, ( probably the one that I would take), is to have a look at what Stratocaster pickups one the excellent UK pickup makers have on offer. I’ve found makers like Mojo, Alegree and Oil City produce a good range of custom wound pickups at very reasonable prices.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    Add a baseplate ... and do the tone control mod ... sorted
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Buy a Telecaster. ;)
    That's what the Twangbanger pickup has. Supposed to be a Tele-like bridge pickup for a Strat.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    Octafish said:
    That's what the Twangbanger pickup has. Supposed to be a Tele-like bridge pickup for a Strat.
    A base-plate's cheaper than buying a new pickup with one :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Octafish said:
    Oh sure, just for info really. The base plates are very cheap from Axesrus. Worth noting the Twangbanger is a bitter hotter in output (around 8k) which helps thicken it sounds a bit.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Buy a stacked Bridge pickup, looks the same but its humbucking, they tend to be louder and darker
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    The real answer is a Marshall Major, but a JTM45 suffices as a budget option. ;)

But yeah, baseplate and tone mod is a good start. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Octafish said:
    How footery is it to add one?

Is it easy/clean to remove?
  • I’ve been down the same road looking for the right one.
    Tried lots and I’ve just swapped out a twangbanger for an SDS-1 which is P90’s-ish in flavour (and hotter in output) and gives me the punch I need.
    I’ve also got a super switch that gives me the option of neck & bridge which I use a lot on my telecaster.
  • Octafish said:
    Although it must be said that the Stonetone bridge pickup made by @TheGuitarWeasel is fantastic for fattening up the sound a bit. I have one with a baseplate, which is also tapped so thinner, twangier sounds remain an option. 

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Thanks I think I will try this before anything ..due for changing the strings soon ..is it a easy mod 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    This ^^ and add an Xotic EP Boost. Alternatively, replace the pickup with something like a Fralin Blues Special or Suhr ML or one with suitable oomph that retains the Strattiness.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited December 2018

Brize said:
    Buy a Les Paul.
    FTFY...
    p90fool said:
    The real answer is a Marshall Major
    Correct, although a certain surprisingly hirsute gentleman was also known to put fatter-sounding pickups in his Strats.

sweepy said:
    Buy a stacked Bridge pickup, looks the same but its humbucking, they tend to be louder and darker
    Actually *stacked* humbucking pickups are usually thinner and brighter than a true single-coil. It's side-by-side ones that are louder and darker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Octafish said:
    The coil on the Twangbanger is supposedly wound using different gauge copper wire compared to the SSL-1. I think of it as a tonal difference rather than an increase in output.

Barney said:
    What does everybody do about making these a bit fuller sounding?
    Buy a Stratocaster with a huge neck. The Fender AVRI '65 Stratocaster has modest output pickups yet manages to sound juicy. Playing with fingers and thumb rather than a plectrum helps.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Octafish said:
    Although it must be said that the Stonetone bridge pickup made by @TheGuitarWeasel is fantastic for fattening up the sound a bit. I have one with a baseplate, which is also tapped so thinner, twangier sounds remain an option. 

^ This. My Strat sports a set of StoneTones with a baseplate on the bridge unit. Fattens things up nicely. I can thoroughly recommend Oil City's products.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    Has anyone combined a set of those with a Stone Tone tone block made by Stone Tone?
  • Barney said:
    What does everybody do about making these a bit fuller sounding ... don't get me wrong it's a lively sound could just do with a bit more body for me ...is it pedals or replace for mini humbucker..this is what I done with my other strat ....also the single coil seems to Buzz a bit until you get the right angle to the amp ..
    Time to buy a LP?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself