Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tinny strat bridge pickup

What's Hot

Comments

• @TheGuitarWeasel , out of curiosity what’s the output jump from tapped to untapped on your Diamond Geezer pickup? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Barney said:
    What does everybody do about making these a bit fuller sounding ... don't get me wrong it's a lively sound could just do with a bit more body for me ...is it pedals or replace for mini humbucker..this is what I done with my other strat ....also the single coil seems to Buzz a bit until you get the right angle to the amp ..
    Time to buy a LP?
    Nahh..got enough lespauls not versatile enough ..unless I can't get a good tone out of them either :)
    @TheGuitarWeasel , out of curiosity what’s the output jump from tapped to untapped on your Diamond Geezer pickup? 
    Are these oil city pickups ? ..I need to look at them ..hears a lot of good things 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Barney said:
    @TheGuitarWeasel , out of curiosity what’s the output jump from tapped to untapped on your Diamond Geezer pickup? 
    Are these oil city pickups ? ..I need to look at them ..hears a lot of good things 
    The Diamond Geezer is made by The Danny Dyer Pickup Company
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Barney said:

Nahh..got enough lespauls not versatile enough ..unless I can't get a good tone out of them either :)
    A good Les Paul is an extremely versatile guitar, although the stock pickups in a lot of them don’t help.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15958
    ICBM said:

Brize said:
    Buy a Les Paul.
    FTFY...
    p90fool said:
    The real answer is a Marshall Major
    Correct, although a certain surprisingly hirsute gentleman was also known to put fatter-sounding pickups in his Strats.

sweepy said:
    Buy a stacked Bridge pickup, looks the same but its humbucking, they tend to be louder and darker
    Actually *stacked* humbucking pickups are usually thinner and brighter than a true single-coil. It's side-by-side ones that are louder and darker.
    Do these side by side HB jobs manage to keep the Fender "twang?"
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:

No.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Barney said:
    Diamond Geezer pickup
    Are these oil city pickups ?
    Affirmative although, judging by thegummy’s comment, somebody else may also be using the same product name.

I bought one earlier this year via an OCP workshop clearance sale thread. This example’s slightly non-standard specifications mean that I should not comment other than to state that both output modes have proved useful in a Stratocaster with the seven sounds mod. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    hootsmon said:

No.
    For that, try a good Filter’Tron clone. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Barney said:
    Diamond Geezer pickup
    Are these oil city pickups ?
    Affirmative although, judging by thegummy’s comment, somebody else may also be using the same product name.

I bought one earlier this year via an OCP workshop clearance sale thread. This example’s slightly non-standard specifications mean that I should not comment other than to state that both output modes have proved useful in a Stratocaster with the seven sounds mod. 
    Apologies, my comment was a joke.

• I’m liking the SD SSL-6 at the moment.  Sounds a bit teleish with my 5E3.  Fat but noy too dark. Didn’t like it at first but a height adjustment seemed to nail it.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    The answer is HSS. Coil tap bridge PAF and passive tone boost circuit gives great tonal flexibly, whilst still allowing quack in P2. 
    ICBM said:
    Barney said:

A good Les Paul is an extremely versatile guitar, although the stock pickups in a lot of them don’t help.
    I seem to struggle with clean sounds on the Les Paul...great for driven sounds though .. :)
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    thegummy said:

Turning the tone knob down

my solution
    Barney said:

I seem to struggle with clean sounds on the Les Paul...great for driven sounds though .. :)
    What pickups and pots are in it? A PAF-type neck pickup and maybe a slightly hotter but not ‘modern’ bridge and 500K pots should give a beautiful clean sound.

The pickups and 300K pots Gibson put in a lot of them don’t though.

thegummy said:
    Apologies, my comment was a joke.
    One worthy of the Ginger Geezer, Vivian Stanshall. ;)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    For years I hated Strat bridge pickups, too thin and weedy, tried allsorts, including baseplate and moving the middle tone to the bridge, now I do both but with a Bare Knuckle Sinner single coil pickup too, for me? Sonic Nirvana.......(not the band) .....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited December 2018
    I've also found that some stacked single coils i.e. humbuckers, are a great compromise as whilst getting you into humbucker territory and having a bigger, fuller sound, their physical size or whatever else is going on (best explained by someone else here) means they still impart something single coil-ish about them. I have an older Seymour Duncan Little '59 and it's fantastic for this.

One other thing you may want to consider is wiring options. I was recently told by my tech about this Free Way Switch (10 position) which gives very useable, and in my his opinion, much better and useable sounds than something like the S1 Switching found on Fenders. They're about £40 plus fitting. Reversible, no routing and your guitar looks the same.

https://www.freewayswitch.com/

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Wiring the neck tone knob (which I find largely useless on most guitars) to the bridge pickup seemed to work for me. Wire the middle + bridge to the bottom tone control if you want to keep your neck tone control. I'm not a huge strat fan but got some great tones with BG Pickups V60s wired up that way.
    edited December 2018
    ICBM said:
    Barney said:

I seem to struggle with clean sounds on the Les Paul...great for driven sounds though ..
    What pickups and pots are in it? A PAF-type neck pickup and maybe a slightly hotter but not ‘modern’ bridge and 500K pots should give a beautiful clean sound.

The pickups and 300K pots Gibson put in a lot of them don’t though.
    I have one les Paul with bare knuckle  stormy Mondays in bridge and neck and the other with mule in the bridge but none of the pots were changed ..does this make a big difference ?