Unbelievable achievement! Free soloist climber Alex Honnold

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
This documentary looks worth watching. 

The guy (Alex Honnold) is absolutely frikkin mad! This is him climbing the 3,200ft El Capitan rock face in Yosemite National Park… without a rope. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Seen it , good TED vid too. Well recommended. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Nope.

Nope
     Nope

Nope.

Nope Nope Nope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    Headed to see this on Monday, really looking forward to it.  There's a making-of short documentary on YouTube which looks at a lot of the moral dilemmas faced by the filmmakers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    I've thought about it some more and 

Nope. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I think @Reverend makes a valid point.
  • I've free soloed several low grade UK mountain routes. My favourite being Grooved Arete on Tryfan, which tops out at about 800m. 

(No, that's not me...just a random pic) 

I love the feeling of climbing without ropes but would never do it on anything close to my hardest grade. Only easy stuff I know I can climb comfortably. It is a great way to climb stuff quicker than fannying about with ropes and gear though and wonderfully exhilarating. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Tryfan in Snowdonia @Legionreturns ?
  • LuttiS said:
    Yes mate. Grooved Arete climbs from Heather Terrace to the summit and is just stunning 

• Heather Terrace is the green patch that crosses the mountain diagonally at about half height. It's an absolute mission to get up to with a full climbing rack in your bag so it's nice to do just with a little bag of lunch lol 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Not even if you pay me….
  • I wouldn't but good luck & fair play to them that do :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754

It's a remarkable thing to do, and I can understand the drive some people have to do these things, but I wouldn't want to be a friend or family member, or the poor soul who gets to scrape him up if something goes wrong.

I've climbed without ropes when younger, but only up a climbing wall (20ft or so) that I knew well (and once when drunk, not big or clever), I wouldn't have gone higher without ropes.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_C said:

It's a remarkable thing to do, and I can understand the drive some people have to do these things, but I wouldn't want to be a friend or family member, or the poor soul who gets to scrape him up if something goes wrong.

I've climbed without ropes when younger, but only up a climbing wall (20ft or so) that I knew well (and once when drunk, not big or clever), I wouldn't have gone higher without ropes.
    It's a valid point, but my loved ones know that I'm careful and sensible. Risk is about assessing your own abilities and the conditions. I could easily get killed driving, as that's not entirely in my control.

My loved ones also know that I'd rather buy the farm doing something I love than slowly, in pain, in a bed, riddled with disease.

• When I was 18 I was at South Tyneside College. One weekend a bunch of us went to the coast to explore, ended up scrambling along the rocks/cliffs for a bit. I recall being perched on a narrow foothold with waves crashing below with the option of turning back on my own or taking a risky move around a blind corner to stay with the other idiots. I went with the latter and made it, of course, but it gives me chills thinking about how that felt.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I used to clown around on rocks when I was a teenager and kidded myself I was quite good at it. I stopped doing when I fell off from about 20 feet up. Luckily I landed in a gorse bush, Winnie-The-Pooh style. It was incredibly uncomfortable walking home with hundreds of gorse spines embedded in my clothes - but less than landing on the rocks underneath it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    Im sure I saw a clip of this guy talking and he said he free climbed some monster rock and when he popped over the top, people were just sitting around on their phones and enjoying view., no-one said a word.....

Then he took off his climb shoes to hike back down and they all said he must be mad doing that with no shoes on !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited December 2018
    Reverend said:
    Rope.

Rope
     Rope

Rope.

Rope Rope Rope.
    Corrected!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LuttiS said:
    Yes mate. Grooved Arete climbs from Heather Terrace to the summit and is just stunning 
    I know Tryfan well, usually walk (or run if I'm feeling special) before heading back via devils kitchen. Achieved the freedom of Tryfan many times :)
  • Yeah, yeah. I've seen how it's done. He's just crawling along the floor, and then they rotate the camera so it looks like he's climbing.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 328
    edited January 2023
    Climbing with Alex Honnold

YouTube superstar and 5.15 climber Magnus Midtbø visits Red Rock with Alex Honnold for a lap up a multi-pitch sans rope. “This is a nice experience and everything, but I’m never doing this again,” said Midtbø near the top.

Honnold coaches Midtbø up the climb from above while feeding beta and talking him through the cruxes. Free-soloing can be extremely dangerous and should be left to the most experienced climbers.