69 Tele refinish

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
Earlier in the year my wife and I hit Dublin to see Brian Adams (amazing gig as usual!). I did the usual music shop rounds but this time I was specifically focused on meeting Owen in Some Neck Guitars. Cracking shop, great stock and fun to spend time in.

After letting the guys see one of my own builds, Owen hands me this...

https://i.imgur.com/TAMCe2b.jpg

A 69 tele refinished in charcoal frost (I think?!). Interesting piece. Even more so when I stripped it down to find that it had been given the Bloomfield treatment at some point and rather oddly repaired. 

https://i.imgur.com/aMrLa0C.jpg

Took me a while to realise that the upper bout was restored at least one inch longer than it should have been. It certainly makes it interesting and I was happy to leave it alone. Imagine how much extra tele thump that extra inch has in it ;)

Owen wanted a heavily aged paisley finish and that’s exactly what I did. It’s okay, I know it’s not going to be everyone’s cuppa but hey... I forgive you ;)

The paisleys take a while to do but man they are a lot of fun. 

https://i.imgur.com/Xh8q5jE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/exzHFi5.jpg

Ill attempt to get some full mock up shots before I heads off to Dublin but this will have to do in the meantime...

https://i.imgur.com/GWRzRB7.jpg

Hope you enjoyed that, I sure did! :)
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That is excellent work. Kudos
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4086
    That looks ace, love it. 

I like that you left the repair too, these things should have stories :)
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Is this some sort of insurance scam?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    That is excellent work. Kudos
    Thank you :)

randella said:
    That looks ace, love it. 

Thank you, yes I was happy to leave it as is. I know the rest of the work done divides opinion but given the brief and the age of the guitar I think it looks great :)
    tFB Trader
    Veganic said:
    ?
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    lonestar said:
    Veganic said:
    ?
    Some people like relicing and some people like making jokes about relicing?

tFB Trader
    Veganic said:
    lonestar said:
    Veganic said:
    ?
    Some people like relicing and some people like making jokes about relicing?

Ah.

Hey, whatever floats your boat man :) 
    tFB Trader
    One more picture for good measure :)

https://i.imgur.com/OOy2pD3.jpg

I must do another paisley for my stock!
  • randellarandella Frets: 4086
    lonestar said:

randella said:
    That looks ace, love it. 

Thank you, yes I was happy to leave it as is. I know the rest of the work done divides opinion but given the brief and the age of the guitar I think it looks great :)
    The CBS years were much kinder to Teles than Strats IMO. You’ll know this, I reckon - did Teles go three-bolt later on like Strats did?

I really like this guitar. The maple board neck is right too, it wouldn’t work as well with rosewood. 

How do you do the paisley? I gather getting hold of that stuff is like trying to buy genuine unicorn teeth. 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    I saw Bryan Adams in Leeds years ago I remember the electric going off and when he completed his set alone on
    an acoustic being mightily impressed.
    tFB Trader
    randella said:
    lonestar said:

randella said:
    That looks ace, love it. 

The CBS years were much kinder to Teles than Strats IMO. You’ll know this, I reckon - did Teles go three-bolt later on like Strats did?

I really like this guitar. The maple board neck is right too, it wouldn’t work as well with rosewood. 

How do you do the paisley? I gather getting hold of that stuff is like trying to buy genuine unicorn teeth. 
    I think the 3 bolt came in during 71. AFAIK the tele and strat changed over at the same time.

Yeah the paisley is expensive to buy and doesn’t go too far but it looks amazing. Quite simply paper and a lot of lacquer to seal it in. Unlike the plastic coated AllParts bodies.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 996
    edited December 2018
    Nice job on that finish, but why oh why would anyone want to leave that extra bump, when you're getting a refinish anyway!! Am I missing the logic here?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Nice job on that finish, but why oh why would anyone want to leave that extra bump, when you're getting a refinish anyway!! Am I missing the logic here?
    Well, the guitar has had an interesting history. And while the repair is “interesting” I certainly didn’t want to alter it further (even if that meant simply reinstating it’s orig shape). The old repair is solid and tbh due to the busyness of the paisley I think it’s reasonably well covered. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Superb job Scott, I would have had to bring it back to original shape personally, I'm all for leaving history but that's someone else's 'bodge repair' history to me. The ageing looks absolutely superb though! Very tempted to get you to do me one! :) 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    70s Custom and Deluxe Teles changed to the three-bolt neck, standard ones didn’t.

The body shape looks like some sort of bastard offspring of a Hayman and an Ovation Viper...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Superb job Scott, I would have had to bring it back to original shape personally, I'm all for leaving history but that's someone else's 'bodge repair' history to me. The ageing looks absolutely superb though! Very tempted to get you to do me one! :) 
    Thank you Neil. Yeah I get what everyone is saying. The hard part was getting a bit further into the work then spotting the anomaly. It’s obvious because I’ve shown it but I think once it’s built up and strung it’ll not be noticeable. You know where I am if you need me :)