Les Paul into a Epiphone Valve Jr...

What's Hot
just happens to be a '59 burst! Sounds proper old school that...nice tone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I've never owned a 59 LP, but I did own a Valve Junior + Cab as per the video and it was a lovely amp.  The trouble was, even at only 5w, it was too loud for home use and not enough clean headroom for live.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    edited December 2018
    Perfectly illustrates why I don’t like Valve Juniors. Sounds like a fart under a pile of blankets.

Which is a shame, because you can hear that the guitar does sound fantastic despite that - when he backs off a bit you can tell, even through the mud from the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • See I really like that sound, but I'd never have any use for it in the kind of stuff I like to play (apart from if I'm trying to cheese out playing Black Keys songs). 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    Sounds effing brilliant too me.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought it sounded nice and I like Barrie’s playing but I was left wondering if Gibson could have sacrificed the need to stay on brand for ten minutes and let him plug into something... I don’t know but something more likely to enhance the experience. 
    I did see someone play live with a ( mic’d) Valve Jr once which was memorable because it seemed an unusual amp to gig with and the sound hurt my ears. I can’t even remember the name of the artist but the sight of a Valve Jr makes me wince now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    The Epi VJ came at a time when Valve amps were mostly less than cheap top branded offerings and were little or no Chinese backdoor builds, so they offered a really really cheap way in to the world of tube.Even cheaper the Harley Benton badged versions. I paid £56 for my HB GA5 5w head from Thomann.

I still moved it on though - for £85 !

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311

I did see someone play live with a ( mic’d) Valve Jr once which was memorable because it seemed an unusual amp to gig with and the sound hurt my ears. I can’t even remember the name of the artist but the sight of a Valve Jr makes me wince now. 
    I’ve also seen someone play live with one, with a Godin semi with a P90.

Probably the worst live guitar sound I’ve ever heard, at least with a ‘real’ amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31581
    ICBM said:
    Perfectly illustrates why I don’t like Valve Juniors. Sounds like a fart under a pile of blankets.
    That's the curly lead!  ;)

Actually it sounds ok to me, but it's one of those unremarkable noodling-on-the-porch tones you can get out of pretty much any amp and which I have no earthly use for. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    Damn..................Now  I'm gassing for a real 59' Les Paul....again....  I love the phrase 'Noodling-on-the-porch tones! I quite like those sort of tones :)
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    ICBM said:
    Haha