Index Finger Surgery

What's Hot
Getting the Dupuytren's on my index finger fixed Wednesday (sadly the ring finger doesn't yet fit funding guidelines for repair altho does impair my fingerstyle as I cant extend at the knuckle joint)

I wont be able to hold a pick conventionally for a couple of weeks.  Any suggestions? anyone forced to learn to play holding a pick in a different way?

PS I do not have Peyronie's disease which is associated with Dupuytrens (at least not yet)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33780
    I had fretting hand surgery in 09.
    It took quite a while to repair but they were working on tendons.
    I'm fine now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31466
    My right index finger was out of action for three months a few years ago after an accident with a saw, but I soon got used to holding the pick between my thumb and second finger. 

In fact I still do it sometimes by accident.  
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3319
    I wish you well. I’m going to see about surgery options for my left thumb on Friday next week. 
  • grungebob said:
    I wish you well. I’m going to see about surgery options for my left thumb on Friday next week. 
    Thanks @grungebob what is up with the Thumb?

• p90fool said:
    My right index finger was out of action for three months a few years ago after an accident with a saw, but I soon got used to holding the pick between my thumb and second finger. 

In fact I still do it sometimes by accident.  
    Thanks I've experimented but until i have to it its not real!
    grungebob said:
    Ruptured ligaments pulling knuckles at odd angles, it’ll get sorted no doubt. 
  • grungebob said:
    grungebob said:
    I'm sure - hand surgery is a much improved speciality from the old days!
    edited December 2018
    grungebob said:
    grungebob said:
    I'm sure - hand surgery is a much improved speciality from the old days!
    Fingers crossed ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good luck ! You’ll be fine. I had a Dupuytrens contracture in the middle of my palm of my right hand removed about 18 years ago. No pain from the op and ( because I had a Z plasti ) no other reoccurring problems . I remember the biggest issue being uncurling my fingers/hand for fear of popping the stitches ( which didn’t happen and was proven to me by the ortho surgeon pushing my hand down on a table ! ) .
    I think played pretty much when the anesthetic wore off and my big hand bandage was gone. Just thumb to begin with , then pick , then fingers when stitches were out. Worse case scenario, you can practice your legato for a week. 
  • Getting the Dupuytren's on my index finger fixed Wednesday (sadly the ring finger doesn't yet fit funding guidelines for repair altho does impair my fingerstyle as I cant extend at the knuckle joint)

I wont be able to hold a pick conventionally for a couple of weeks.  Any suggestions? anyone forced to learn to play holding a pick in a different way?

PS I do not have Peyronie's disease which is associated with Dupuytrens (at least not yet)

I sliced my index finger recently, it swelled up and was very painful so couldn't bend it or use it to hold a pick.

Forced me to play differently so I used volume swells and palmed trem action, I happened to make a video of it here

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Thumbpick maybe? Took me a few different ones to find what I liked but shaped one so its more pick-like and works like one, within limits. Good luck with the surgery and grungebob too.

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Time to polish up that slide technique..... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SRich said:
    Time to polish up that slide technique..... ;)
    Yes its got rusty :)