Modded JCM800 gig tonight! Gulp!

What's Hot
Ok so having got DG to mod my JCM 800 head many moons ago- I’ve only gigged the amp once with limited success- I didn’t set it up at all properly and I didn’t have the right foot pedals in time for the gig so I couldn’t use the true potential of the amp and I was disappointed and have reverted back to my EVH 100 ever since- to cut a very long story short I’ve been tinkering in my studio with the Marshall and discovered how bloody great it sounds cranked up properly- so the classic rock band I’ve been playing in for the last 12 years are going to have to put up with a very loud jcm800 tonight! They probably won’t even notice the difference lol! It’s so versatile warm, lairy, rude and Ossum- I hope that translates into a great gig! My EVH 100 has been my crutch for years!!! I’m feeling a bit hot and sick but I’m gonna do it!!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Best of luck!

I have a modded Park MV100 which I ought to take out - have a gig on NY eve - it's so bloody LOUD (and heavy)  I haven't gigged it in my current band. I have a Marshall 1922 2x12 to put it through.....usually use a red-knob Fender Super 60 combo.

Let us know how it went!
  • go for it boyo, it will sound ace, let her rip!

• monkey42monkey42 Frets: 339
    We expect a gig report as soon as you’ve finished boyo
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    I giggled my DG JCM 800 Killer Kali ++ last month and it sounded exceptional!  Best live tone I’ve ever had.
  • Brave :)  How did it go?
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    edited December 2018
    Mmmm! Still not gelling with it! Sounded good but......I’m having problems with volume setting between crunch and lead- it’s either too loud or not loud enough when I kick it in- strange. Sounded great at times but........venue didn’t help- bouncy acoustics etc.....still not convinced.......jury is still out.......next weekend back to the EVH 100!!! Have a stinker of a cold which didn’t help either!!!!
  • Still not giving up on her, gonna try her out on another gig next month- have spent a little time getting better acquainted! Lol!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Mmmm! Still not gelling with it! Sounded good but......I’m having problems with volume setting between crunch and lead- it’s either too loud or not loud enough when I kick it in- strange. Sounded great at times but...
    Sounds like it’s too compressed on the lead sound. I find this every time I try to use a compressor pedal live - it’s because it takes away the ability to control the volume with your picking strength. You probably don’t even notice you do that - until you can’t...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    For solos, any pedal  that compresses,  you need the perceived volume (when played on its own without the band) to be almost double what you think you need  when the full band is playing. Slightly less if no second guitar, more if there is  
  • Wise words from both of you! It’s just me being a bit thick! In fairness Dan’s thinking behind this modded 800 is superb. There are 2 master volumes one boost and the facility to remove one ecc83 from the crunch channel. All three are footswitcheable. I was just confused as to what the f/s lower gain stage was doing- simple really! So we have lower gain or crunch (via f/s) solo on lower gain or crunch. (Via f/s) Then all of the options on master 2 which is via f/s! 
    Lots of options! Lower gain is adjustable via a knob, normal gain also via a knob, solo is too (called the violence knob!) there’s also raw,depth and thump pots on the back! So really there’s no excuse to getting the levels right! As I said it’s just stupidity on my part! ( oh it also sounds epic!)