Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The "I will never sell this guitar" Thread

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
Come on then, put your mouth where your money is and show us your keepers! 

For me it's my Burns Semi Telecaster. It's light, gorgeous neck, love the skinny frets, has three distinct voices and rings like a bell for days. 

It's also a prototype so I'd never be able to replace it. 

http://imgur.com/gallery/tCsLu

I do hope this thread will come back to bite a couple of us! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    I have a Telecaster that my late father built. 

So would never sell it.

Everything else has a price...

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    With photos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    My '84 Aria RS Standard. An identical one was my first electric guitar, but in the ignorance of youth and believing that it was 'just a Japanese copy' I very extensively modded it over a few years, including routing parts of the body away, to the point it was no longer salvageable. I eventually sold the neck to someone and literally threw out the remains of the body. I then spent fifteen years looking for another one, and unfortunately it proved to be an extremely rare - even if not valuable - model. I finally tracked one down in California, and persuaded the owner to sell it to me even though he was a bit unsure about international shipping. It cost me probably twice what it's really worth, but I'm very happy to have 'my guitar' back - and it is so similar that I often almost forget it's not actually the same one... in fact there's a good chance it was made on the same day from the same 'blank' of timber since the pattern of different wood grain in the several pieces of the body is the same.

I admit to changing the pickups - they were as crap as I remember the originals! But that's a reversible mod if necessary - and the switch (for a 5-way, which is difficult, since it's an odd size - luckily I found the correct one to do it) but apart from that this one will *NOT* be getting altered in any other way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616

Bought my American Standard Strat new in 1989.

Too many memories, I'll never sell it. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    edited December 2018
    I have thought about selling my belt sander Special in the past, but I think it’s the one for me 

https://i.imgur.com/sZpuMdi.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/7wqb4
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751

I don't have a picture of the only guitar I have vowed never to sell, because I sold it :(

It was a cherry (sienna?) burst 1983 US Telecaster.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Paul_C said:

I don't have a picture of the only guitar I have vowed never to sell, because I sold it :(

It was a cherry (sienna?) burst 1983 US Telecaster.
    That is sloppy.

I have pictures of all the guitars I've sold!  ;)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    o
    My early 70's Strat, ive been told its 72, serial points to 71, not much sentimental value , possible birth year, but its way too lovely to sell, unless I really really really have to. Lovely one piece neck, 7.25 radius, tiny vintage type frets , weighs a ton.

Its had a bone nut and a five way sourced from a very kind forum member, a few things left to do, saddles and maybe pick ups, but its the nicest playing guitar ive ever tried. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Got this one about 15 years ago with money my Grandpa left me:

This picture looks a bit too blue from the flash.  Looks more turquoise in the flesh.

Got left £1000, which was the about price of a 62 reissue back then.  Wouldn't sell it because of the connection with my Grandpa. Thankfully it's a great guitar so I wouldn't want to.  Will need a refret soon though.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I have no plans to sell any guitars but the one I want to be buried with me is my 1986 Kinman Blueprint Telecaster.

I've owned this guitar since I bought it in the early 90's and it has been around the world with me.
    It has been refretted twice and had about 10 different sets of pickups in it- currently has Harmonic Designs but I am about to put Kinmans in it.

The guitar in the top right of the photo is another Kinman that I bought many years later that isn't as good as the black Kinman but still pretty nice.
    There are only 50 of these made and I own two.
    I'd happily buy If I could find any for sale but they almost never come up.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    and this:

My 06 Anderson Classic.

I've swapped pickups several times, currently has Suhr HSS (SSV+, Fletcher Landau singles) but it is lightest, most resonant solid body I've ever owned.
    The neck is perfect for me- I have 4 other Andersons and they are all great but this is something special.

• https://i.imgur.com/26HrQWZ.jpg

My "Born to Run" Esquire. It's a Partscaster, & has become my go to guitar. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited December 2018
    I've sold quite a lot of gear this year, including a lovely SG which I do miss, but for me the only truly non sellable guitars  are those with sentimental value.

I can't really play this strat anymore due to hand issues (the neck just gives me pain), but it will never go.

Years ago when I had nothing at all, I worked for months putting aside what cash I could. I'd been playing guitar for nearly a decade by that point, and had wanted a strat since a kid staring up at them in shop windows.

Once I had enough I went to Denmark street and played every strat there. This one spoke to me, and was the realisation of a dream.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Not had this Strat for long, but I already know its a keeper. Its an Original 50's model, made in the USA, Nitro finish, sublime Vee at the first few frets to fat C neck profile, best ever neck....
    Of course its been modded and currently sports different pickup covers with radiused edges, purely cosmetic, but an improvement on those supplied and which cover at the Bridge, a Bare Knuckle Sinner, Midddle is a Creamery Single Coil Size P90, Neck is another Sinner...works for me, switch was replaced by a three way and the tones work on bridge and neck, middle is untoned, Trem is decked, sticker still covers the trem arm hole..........Schaller strap locks complete the picture.....a definite keeper....

https://i.imgur.com/pUuabyE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6hv4r3S.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962

The incredible olive green PRS MiraX

I've owned more expensive and exotic guitars but this one just feels incredible and sounds like nothing else I’ve ever tried. Currently running the Seymour JB/Jazz and it’s just an unstoppable force.

its everything that most PRS guitars aren’t, it’s plain and ugly but it’s by far the best of the 8 PRS that I’ve owned.

1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    My Collings City Limits.

I've got a few other guitars in the collection and others on occasion are my favorite but I always come back to this.

I have an 89 PRS which will never be sold but that is just for sentimental reasons rather than it being an excellent instrument.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    My Guild S-60.

Bought it 40 years ago, and gigged with it more than anything else. Recently went to Feline for a refret, new tuners and electrics, and also a Railhammer Hyper Vintage pickup:

Here, as it was a couple of years ago, with the SD Invader I fitted in 1980, speed knobs, and bits of glue behind the bridge from the Roland guitar synth I'd added in the late 80s:

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    The only guitar I probably wouldn't sell is my acoustic as I bought it in 2004 new and every scratch and piece of wear is from me. The others don't have sentimental value and the fuhrer will not allow additional guitars until at least one child leaves which will be at least 10 years. 

If if never ever comes fuengi I call first dibs on your burns one of the best sounding guitars I have ever played. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    this week I am definitely not going to be selling this guitar...

https://musicstreet.co.uk/products/used-hahn-model-228-vintage-amber-tint

just arrived yesterday my first Hahn..liked it so much bought this today

https://musicstreet.co.uk/products/hahn-model-c-white

fantastic telecaster the 228, brilliant pickups, brilliant neck could be around for a little while

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    My 2012 Gold Top. I mail ordered it on a whim in November 2012 because I'd always fancied one, intending to play it alongside my dozen or so other guitars but it immediately felt a bit cumbersome at 10 pounds, with a clunky neck and too many knobs.

I thought "I've blown the money now so I'd better persevere" so I put all my other guitars away for a month to make myself learn how to use it, now I can't really bond with anything else. 

It's done hundreds of gigs, had a refret and a few pickups swaps, I've hit two punters off the stage with it, my singer whacks it with her tambourine most nights, but is the only guitar I've had over the last 40 years which honestly feels like home. 

Here's are recent pics and one from the day I bought it. 

http://i67.tinypic.com/6yksjn.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/308a61h.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/50paj6.jpg

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom