Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The "I will never sell this guitar" Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Only had this a few months but ticks the Les Paul box for me... And I have been through around 15 others to get here! Hopefully will go to the grave with this 1980 Tokai LS80

1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3745
    edited December 2018
    1974 SG, given to me 25 years after I used it for my first gig. It has had a bad neck break, poorly repaired, but now plays and sounds great.

I’ve bought and sold so many guitars and it’s the only one I’ve had longer than six months. Certainly can’t sell it though - and certainly shouldn’t. 

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This topic seems designed to trip me up at some point in the future.

I'm not falling for that shit! I'm out! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    munckee said:
    The only guitar I probably wouldn't sell is my acoustic as I bought it in 2004 new and every scratch and piece of wear is from me. The others don't have sentimental value and the fuhrer will not allow additional guitars until at least one child leaves which will be at least 10 years. 

If if never ever comes fuengi I call first dibs on your burns one of the best sounding guitars I have ever played. 
    You're already 2nd in the queue I'm afraid @munckee ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654

Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro.  Built 1993, owned since new.  I haven't gigged this one for a while, in fact it seldom gets played, but it was my dream guitar.

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    This one. My family helped me get it for my 30th birthday, so it'd be a bit of an insult to them if I were to sell it... I also don't see why I'd ever sell my RG550, but if a time ever came where I lost interest in electric guitar again, this tele is the only guitar I think I'd make 100% sure to keep.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    I have a fair few guitars, only about 5 or 6 are keepers. These are my two favourites though.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Nothing, recently sold two sentimental guitars, I own 4 electrics and the oldest is just over a year old. I feel liberated not to be tied to particular guitars anymore as I don’t want to own more than I do, but I still want to experiment. They’re only guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have 4 (at the moment).

First is my Strat. I've told its story enough times. First guitar, xmas 2000 (so 7 days shy of 18 years at my side!). It's had about 6 necks, loads of pickups, bridges etc etc and now only the body and I think the jackplate are original, but I love it. Currently wearing a neck from Musikraft - fretboard is "Brazilian walnut" which appears to be a catch-all term for a number of woods, but it was reclaimed from the Coney Island boardwalk which is super cool. Whatever other mods come and go, I'll always have this one. 

With its previous neck:

Next up is my MIJ Paisley Tele - my 18th birthday present. I waited weeks for it to clear customs and it arrived on the very day I was going to cancel and get a Jaguar. Clearly some kind of serendipity. I've gigged this more times than I can remember. I go through phases of not playing it, but every time I pick it up after a while I remember exactly why I love it. I could do just about anything with it.

I've never been afraid to trash it, but it's still in great nick! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    p90fool said:
    My 2012 Gold Top. I mail ordered it on a whim in November 2012 because I'd always fancied one, intending to play it alongside my dozen or so other guitars but it immediately felt a bit cumbersome at 10 pounds, with a clunky neck and too many knobs.

I thought "I've blown the money now so I'd better persevere" so I put all my other guitars away for a month to make myself learn how to use it, now I can't really bond with anything else. 

It's done hundreds of gigs, had a refret and a few pickups swaps, I've hit two punters off the stage with it, my singer whacks it with her tambourine most nights, but is the only guitar I've had over the last 40 years which honestly feels like home. 

Here's are recent pics and one from the day I bought it. 

http://i67.tinypic.com/6yksjn.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/308a61h.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/50paj6.jpg

Really like that @p90fool . Weird how they ones that fit best are often a stroke of serendipity
  • Next is my real "old faithful" CS-336. Not quite as old as the others, but the most used, gigged, rehearsed, recorded and loved. It's the only that is "part of me" in a way I can't really describe. Currently wearing OX4s and just perfect. 

Gibson CS-336

And the latest (and youngest, I think) is my Martin HD28. I've only had it a couple of years, and it replaced a Gibson Dove which was the best dread in Guitar Village on the day, but it was such an instant "yes" when I first tried it (in proper theFB form, meeting a guy in a car park, just outside Dubai airport..!). It's everything I imagine when I think of "acoustic guitar", made real. I have my eye on another couple of nice acoustics, but this is one I'll grow old with. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Predictably, it’s my 1962 Jaguar. I wanted a Jaguar since I was bought The Ultimate Guitar Book as a 16 year old, so it was my dream guitar. Taken on extra poignancy of late as my stepdad lent me the money to buy it at the time, and he suddenly and unexpectedly passed away a month ago. This guitar will outlive me, and will go to my boys when I’m in the ground. 

Bit heavy, that. 

To lighten things, it sounds and plays incredibly. Golden era Fender n’all that. 

http://i.imgur.com/G758Awg.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Several over the years. I no longer own any of them. Quite happy with any guitar these days. I guess the ones that will stay with me forever are the ones I’ve built from scratch - who would buy them? 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7772
    Fuengi said:
    Paul_C said:

I don't have a picture of the only guitar I have vowed never to sell, because I sold it :(

It was a cherry (sienna?) burst 1983 US Telecaster.
    That is sloppy.

I have pictures of all the guitars I've sold!  ;)
    It was a long time ago ! Not so easy to take photos when you had to drop the film off at the chemist's etc.

It looked like this, except mine had a proper bridge + ashtray (which I've still got).

Image result for 1983 US Telecaster
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    Two keepers here...

A 2005 US Std Tele which Mrs9000 bought me for my 50th. Will never be modded or sold.

c 2014 MIM Std Strat. Upgraded with OilCity StoneTones and a Callaham sustain block. Probably not the World’s greatest Strat but just feels so right.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    p90fool said:
    My 2012 Gold Top. I mail ordered it on a whim in November 2012 because I'd always fancied one, intending to play it alongside my dozen or so other guitars but it immediately felt a bit cumbersome at 10 pounds, with a clunky neck and too many knobs.

I thought "I've blown the money now so I'd better persevere" so I put all my other guitars away for a month to make myself learn how to use it, now I can't really bond with anything else. 

It's done hundreds of gigs, had a refret and a few pickups swaps, I've hit two punters off the stage with it, my singer whacks it with her tambourine most nights, but is the only guitar I've had over the last 40 years which honestly feels like home. 

Here's are recent pics and one from the day I bought it. 

http://i67.tinypic.com/6yksjn.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/308a61h.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/50paj6.jpg

How utterly wonderful.  Wins the thread for me, so far :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Predictably, it’s my 1962 Jaguar. I wanted a Jaguar since I was bought The Ultimate Guitar Book as a 16 year old, so it was my dream guitar. Taken on extra poignancy of late as my stepdad lent me the money to buy it at the time, and he suddenly and unexpectedly passed away a month ago. This guitar will outlive me, and will go to my boys when I’m in the ground. 

Bit heavy, that. 

To lighten things, it sounds and plays incredibly. Golden era Fender n’all that. 

http://i.imgur.com/G758Awg.jpg
    Beautiful sentiments; beautiful guitar.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    this one - my Mrs bought me it for my 40th.

and this one that I bought myself for my 40th :)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6148
    Similar situation to Gav's. (RIP, mum.) And as I'm typing this, I realise that was 20 years ago today. Blimey, that crept up on me. :(

I was born in 1962, so was this 335. Perfect neck profile for me; too thin for some. Everyone who sees it says "Ooh - Clapton", but when I play it, I always end up playing GM/PG's gentler stuff: Midnight Blues, Jumping at Shadows, etc.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My own.

No mega historical tales, I'm afraid, and certainly no gigging.

Utterly random acquisition from that @DrCornelius one earlier this year.  No obvious sentimentality attachments, but it's the first guitar I've ever had that felt 'right' from the moment I held it. 

It came into my life at a time of fairly heavy personal difficulty: the George Harrison/Eric Clapton Hindu stamp on the back is a nod to all that, and my wife's cultural/religious heritage. 

Besides the obvious build quality, the neck of dreams, I love its pared-down simplicity.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer