MIJ Gems!

What's Hot
I've been collecting Japanese acoustics for a while now, I've slowed down as I've got my collection to where I want it to be. I have some great guitars Tama, K.Yairi, Top end Washburns etc..... would be interesting to hear what guitars others have in there armoury,?

I'd to think I've pretty much seen a fair proportion of good Japanese acoustics over the years, so always interested to hear what floats your boat!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982

I have a Tama TG-120 from 1977 or thereabouts. Nicely made D28-alike, solid rosewood b/s, maple binding.

Too dark for a pic, but it looks like this one…

https://i.imgur.com/9GJt4U3.jpg

Always liked the late-'70s Washburns. A friend had a Prairie Song that was great. Were they made by Yamaki?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't know if they're quite what you're talking about, but the early Japanese Lowdens are pretty excellent
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    If the Yam FGs had wider necks (including at the body joint!) they would be superb. Still great as they are
    people comment on them being laminated as a bad thing but it’s not laminate as we know it. It was done to minimise warping and cracking when exported. They are built very lightly and well
    for me, a true case of a budget guitar punching well above it’s class. They definitely sound better than they should 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Mugen/Daion guitars from the late 70s sounded exceptional.
  • KKJale said:

I have a Tama TG-120 from 1977 or thereabouts. Nicely made D28-alike, solid rosewood b/s, maple binding.

Always liked the late-'70s Washburns. A friend had a Prairie Song that was great. Were they made by Yamaki?

Yep the Tama TG-120 is a cracking guitar. I have a TG-160 which is a lovely guitar, really well made and piano like sound. My Washburn Harvest and Prairie Song are also up there, very distinctive and rich sound.

Yamahas always amaze me how how good they are too, those old FGs are excellent. I'm not a snob when it comes to laminated guitars, I have an old Hohner HG historical series made in Japan. All laminate that would kill most solid guitars, it's that good. 

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    I have an Antoria "Hummingbird". Yes it's a copy. Yes it's great. I never play it because I have a Larrivée parlour but I still have it.... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I have a Sakura SJ200 ... machine heads a bit slippy but absolutely glorious guitar !
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    edited December 2018
    I have a Yamaha LS400VT which is very nice and has matured very nicely indeed, only thing I don't like is the gold tuners, they work and are fine I just don't like gold hardware.
  • Last year I acquired a 1969 cbs masterworks.  I gleaned a little info from googling but it seems very rare so not sure of the history.  Allegedly made by Yairi after his stint at Guild, thus the cbs connection.  It is a nice guitar with what looks like ovangkol back and sides.  This would fit as a predecessor to the lowdens that were also made from ovangkol in the yairi workshop, a bit later.  

Nevertheless the dream mij guitar for me is a gumtree find of an unused red label f180 that doesnt need a neck set.
  • Last year I acquired a 1969 cbs masterworks.  I gleaned a little info from googling but it seems very rare so not sure of the history.  Allegedly made by Yairi....
    Yes some were made by K.Yairi, I have seen them with his signature on the inside lable. Have you any pics?
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    There’s a Daion Mugen on eBay right now. Lovely cedar top. I’ve played one before. They are good guitars. 
  • bugileman said:
    Last year I acquired a 1969 cbs masterworks.  I gleaned a little info from googling but it seems very rare so not sure of the history.  Allegedly made by Yairi....
    Yes some were made by K.Yairi, I have seen them with his signature on the inside lable. Have you any pics?
    I will grab some in the next few days and upload them.  I have the strings off and considering whether the adjustable bridge should be replaced.  It is lifting slightly at the back and has a bolt through it which I have seen on some cbs models.  Just so little info on these.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    I’ve got a Tokai Cat’s Eyes that is an absolute swine to play but sounds great recorded. I’ve had it set up twice but it always reverts back to a high action.  The low e is always half a step flat from 1st to 6th fret (I’m assuming it’s a poorly installed nut I had done). Frets are worn to shit as well. Also, one of the machine heads has to be wound in reverse otherwise it slips when tuning.

But apart from that, it’s a real gem. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    Takamine’s Japanese stuff is quality. I have a P3FCN nylon that I love. Feels very electricy. 
  • MooseAbootMooseAboot Frets: 10
    edited December 2018
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    The Mugen/Daion guitars from the late 70s sounded exceptional.
    I've got a Joodee that I'm pretty sure is a rebadged Daion.  Got that new in 1982.  Probably from the cheaper end of the range, and the mother of toilet seat inlays have gone a lovely green colour.  Sounds pretty good though.
  • Yes I've seen a dreadnought version with two lables, the top lable very much like yours and there was actually a lable underneath with K.Yairi signature. These were his early venture, before building guitars himself.
  • crunchman said: I had a Joodee 12 string, it was the loudest 12 string I've ever heard!
    The Mugen/Daion guitars from the late 70s sounded exceptional.
    I've got a Joodee that I'm pretty sure is a rebadged Daion.  Got that new in 1982.  Probably from the cheaper end of the range, and the mother of toilet seat inlays have gone a lovely green colour.  Sounds pretty good though.

• bugileman said:
    Yes I've seen a dreadnought version with two lables, the top lable very much like yours and there was actually a lable underneath with K.Yairi signature. These were his early venture, before building guitars himself.
    I wonder if i should try peeling the label.  Interesting, thanks
  • KKJale said: