Random gig happenings - unexpected depping

What's Hot
I think this pretty much could only happen on the little, local band circuit. 

At a gig tonight to support the EP launch of one of my mate's bands. Get there to discover one of the support bands is without a drummer, then end up being dragged in as a dep drummer, having never met them or heard their music.

Went ok, just busked it and they seemed happy and said it was "perfect" ... anyone else done anything as weird? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not as last minute but have turned up to a show mainly as a tech not expecting to play, then finding out one of the members can't get to the gig in time so get told 2 hours before stage time I'm going to have step in, so there I am in the back of the band van learning the songs, most of the set I had played before but not played in a while. The show went well too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not as last minute but have turned up to a show mainly as a tech not expecting to play, then finding out one of the members can't get to the gig in time so get told 2 hours before stage time I'm going to have step in, so there I am in the back of the band van learning the songs, most of the set I had played before but not played in a while. The show went well too.
    Yeah, that's pretty hardcore! Keeping a beat is very different from knowing the songs enough to play them! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    That’s a coincidence- just watched a Who documentary on Y channel where Keith Moon is off his tits on the Quadrophenia tour in the US and they get someone out the crowd to step in for him 
  • PhilW1 said:
    That’s a coincidence- just watched a Who documentary on Y channel where Keith Moon is off his tits on the Quadrophenia tour in the US and they get someone out the crowd to step in for him 
    That's almost exactly what didn't happen tonight. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    I was at the local hospital to get a prescription when it became apparent that a few of the gynaecologists were having trouble getting in due to the snow ...................................

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Dominic said:
    I was at the local hospital to get a prescription when it became apparent that a few of the gynaecologists were having trouble getting in due to the snow ...................................

Did you lend a hand...
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    @Dominic : a gynaecologist is a man who can wallpaper the hall, stairs, and landing - through the letterbox...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nitefly - pretty sure it looks pretty ropey afterwards!
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Nitefly - pretty sure it looks pretty ropey afterwards!
    It would if they’d got roped in at the last minute. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    Nitefly said:
    @Dominic : a gynaecologist is a man who can wallpaper the hall, stairs, and landing - through the letterbox...

Actually, a Gynaecologist is a man who WORKS where other men PLAY !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, that's pretty hardcore! Keeping a beat is very different from knowing the songs enough to play them! 
    Well as I said I had played the songs live before but not for a long while!! Had to have several playthroughs just to brush up!

I think that night I had to just keep in time and know the song structures.