The Top 10 Bass Guitars of All Time - Scott’s Bass Lessons (YouTube)

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754

1. P Bass.

anything else is just showing off ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6099
    Thanks for that :+1: 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I'd have picked the Aria SB or the Ibanez Musician over the Yamaha BB, and I have no idea about the Fodera at all - I've never played one - but otherwise hard to disagree with any of those.

There was never any doubt about No.1.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    P, Jazz, Ray then Ric would be my top 4.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    Jazz.

then probably the Stingray.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    I'd have picked the Aria SB or the Ibanez Musician over the Yamaha BB, and I have no idea about the Fodera at all - I've never played one - but otherwise hard to disagree with any of those.

There was never any doubt about No.1.
    Every Yamaha BB I’ve played has been really rather exceptional
    Bridgehouse said:

Every Yamaha BB I’ve played has been really rather exceptional
    Every one I've played has been excellent, but very bland - nowhere near the character of the Aria or Ibanez.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The BBs I’ve played have tended to be smoother sounding than a Fender P IIRC. A cool sound but I generally want that slightly more gritty sounding Fender tone.

Leo Fender designed quite a few cool basses... It’s probably arguable he’s had more impact on bass tone than guitar tone since J and P basses cross genres with the same specs that Strats and Teles would be typically modded for. A Jazz with both pickups on can do funk and some pretty huge metal tones just by using a different amp/pedal setup.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Harmless click bait to increase video channel traffic. Bah, humbug! 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Leo Fender designed quite a few cool basses... It’s probably arguable he’s had more impact on bass tone than guitar tone since J and P basses cross genres with the same specs that Strats and Teles would be typically modded for. A Jazz with both pickups on can do funk and some pretty huge metal tones just by using a different amp/pedal setup.
    But so can a Strat. Nile Rodgers and Ritchie Blackmore... although it’s true that Blackmore later used different pickups in his.

But it’s unarguable that Leo produced at least three very different designs in the top 10. I’d put the Mustang Bass as a strong contender for ‘best of the rest’ too, even if it’s not quite in the 10.

• ICBM said:

But so can a Strat. Nile Rodgers and Ritchie Blackmore... although it’s true that Blackmore later used different pickups in his.

But it’s unarguable that Leo produced at least three very different designs in the top 10. I’d put the Mustang Bass as a strong contender for ‘best of the rest’ too, even if it’s not quite in the 10.

Right - but you can use a Jazz bass in a modern metal context, a Strat won’t hang in that scenario with stock pickups.
  • The 70s spaced Jazz seems fairly popular as well as the 60s when it comes to metal, I guess because of the way it scoops with both pickups on. I feel like the 60s spaced is more versatile though.
    guitarfishbay said:

Right - but you can use a Jazz bass in a modern metal context, a Strat won’t hang in that scenario with stock pickups.
    True, I suspect even a massive mid-boost EQ won't quite get you there. Needs humbuckers really...

To be fair, Blackmore thought so in 1974 :).

• What was controversial was the placing of the Ric.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    What was controversial was the placing of the Ric.
    In that it wasn’t in a skip? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What was controversial was the placing of the Ric.
    Yes... one too low.

:)

Actually I agree - it probably shouldn't be above the Jazz, no matter that I think it's a more versatile and distinctive sounding bass. But I do honestly think that it should be up there with the Fenders - it's an extremely widely used bass in almost all genres, even if not usually the most common... earlier Prog Rock aside.

• Harmless click bait to increase video channel traffic. Bah, humbug! 
    Scott produces a lot of slightly s**t content, pity really as he actually does some good stuff too. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    No Steinberger?
  • Harmless click bait to increase video channel traffic. Bah, humbug! 
    Scott produces a lot of slightly s**t content, pity really as he actually does some good stuff too. 
    I unsubscribed to his channel as his shit percentage was too high. When they consistently sent PM via Facebook after I entered a compo, I blocked them.
    Jeremiah said:
    No Steinberger?
    Outside the top ten. It’s a groundbreaking design and very important historically, but when did you last see someone (not in an 80s tribute band ;) ) using one?