First jam with teenage son

What's Hot
My son has been teaching himself guitar and bass for a while and is studying both for his gcse.

We had our first ever jam today  just playing over Run Run Rudoloh that they are learning at school. 

I have to say he was pretty good. Fairly low technical ability but a good ear for timing and phrasing  

Brought a bit of a tear to my eye well. He's working really hard at it and a very proud moment for an old dad. 
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Good stuff, well done  :)

None of my three ever showed much interest in learning, although they all enjoy listening to music.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    Well done
    I bought various instruments for my 2
    So far I only have one a tiny bit interested in piano
  • I taught my daughter the basic chords and a few tunes when she was 14.  She's 30 now, married with a one year old daughter......and she runs rings round me on the guitar !!
    It amazes me the number of ads on eBay for guitars and amps bought for offspring being sold as "used once or twice then lost interest"
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    DNitefly said:
    Good stuff, well done  :)

None of my three ever showed much interest in learning, although they all enjoy listening to music.

Did you ever take them for lessons? When my boy is old enough I’m going to start him on guitar lessons. Not sure how it’ll go but I’m gonna try and get him into it. He already strums the acoustic aimlessly, but with some sort of rhythm at age 2. 
  • It amazes me the number of ads on eBay for guitars and amps bought for offspring being sold as "used once or twice then lost interest"
    My seven year old has started asking me to teach her how to play.  I'd love to show her the basics to see whether she picks up, but that would mean buying a small guitar - she just wouldn't physically manage a full-size one.  And of course I worry she'd lose interest after a week.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I remember jamming hay Joe with my teenage son ten years ago. He subsequently discovers beer and girls and sold his epi goldtop I'd bought him.
    This weekend I learned he'd bought a car boot acoustic and was enjoying strumming at home and jamming round a mates house. Maybe some good will come of it yet!
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Had a nice little jam with my son last weekend, he's 15 and plays a little bit of guitar, ukulele and keyboard. 

I played the acoustic while he was on uke, lovely little jam and very satisfying. 
  • ESBlonde said:
    I remember jamming hay Joe with my teenage son ten years ago. He subsequently discovers beer and girls and sold his epi goldtop I'd bought him.
    This weekend I learned he'd bought a car boot acoustic and was enjoying strumming at home and jamming round a mates house. Maybe some good will come of it yet!
    I don't have kids, so I'm never going to feel that "warm, fuzzy proud parent" feeling. My loss, I know. But... isn't it great that your son still has a feeling for playing at whatever level of ability and commitment he can manage or wants right now? Your work here is done.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    My eldest started playing as a teen, we've played together argued about guitars/music bought each other guitars and generally had an ongoing connection based around music. He is head and shoulders over me when it comes to playing - but I sing ;)
  • Alas my son lost interest both in drums and guitar. A complete natural. A significant investment was made for both instruments as promise was high. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    My daughter had guitar lessons at school but never really loved it, she is now on piano and has really bonded with that plus sings.  Way more talented than me!
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 945
    DNitefly said:
    Did you ever take them for lessons? When my boy is old enough I’m going to start him on guitar lessons. Not sure how it’ll go but I’m gonna try and get him into it. He already strums the acoustic aimlessly, but with some sort of rhythm at age 2. 
    My son started out coming home from school and asking if he could have a go on my guitar, which really surprised me as he'd never shown any interest before. 

From there he started learning from youtube vids, the eventually having lessons at school.. 
  • My eldest boy (11) has been learning guitar (not with much effort, or success  - suspect he's tone deaf). But my youngest boy (9) is already a great drummer. This summer we had our first family jam. Wife on bass and vocals, daughter (11) also on vocals and we learned Square Hammer by Ghost. Was really good fun. Didn't take us that long to be able to run through the whole song. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    My son never showed any interest, then one day when he was about 14 I asked him if he wanted to learn, and to my surprise he said yes, and he now plays in two bands, and practices most days, and is teaching me things!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom