Oh Lord.. Old analogue mixers are so cheap..

£1650 for this Soundcraft MH3!

Back in the day this would have cost a king's ransom..

Oh I so wish I has the space the money and the gear to use a mixer like this.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Lovely. 

What is the recessed thing in the module between the sub-group and tape monitoring fader modules? It appears to be exactly the right size for parking a lit cigarette.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Soundcraft  :s

Bye!

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2018
    If only I could afford the electricity    :p
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Ex-touring desk, it's probably knackered.
  • Stuckfast said:
    Ex-touring desk, it's probably knackered.
    A few channels in the middle should still work, and the ones at the end depending on how big the support was!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited December 2018
    I've done the big, old console thing.
    In 2005 I bought a 16 channel D&R 4000 console from Swiss eBay and then recapped it.
    I expanded it to 48 channels with a custom centre section.
    I was lucky to be able to sell it because a lot if them just get junked.

Honestly I spent more time with a soldering iron in my hand than I did mixing audio.

All large format consoles need a service contract- don't mess about with old stuff that you cannot repair because it will break.

There are very few consoles from that vintage that are worth the time and expense that don't have the words 'Neve' 'SSL' or 'API' on them.
    In most cases you are just buying a headache and/or unnecessary levels of crosstalk.
    They look cool, I will grant you.

I plan on getting an analogue console again once we return to the UK but it won't be an old one.
    I need it to work reliably.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

The Soundcrafts are actually pretty good ...... the channels are on separate PCB's and use common TLO72 opamps for pretty much everything and very basic linear regulators for the rails ... Very easy to source parts but tracking down the faults can take ages ... specially the intermittent faults ........ I used to spend hours finding bad joints and replacing pots. I brought my own 32 channel Spirit for £400 complete with huge rack mount power supply 

I can't say it added much mojo to mixing ..just noise  :)... I had 24 channels bussed out from PT into it for a while but I actually preferred the in the box summing mixes rather than use the Soundcraft. In the end I sold it for £290 on Ebay

I'm sure summing into a nice Neve or something else with transformer coupled pre's would sound a lot better though 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:

The Soundcrafts are actually pretty good ...... the channels are on separate PCB's and use common TLO72 opamps for pretty much everything and very basic linear regulators for the rails ... Very easy to source parts but tracking down the faults can take ages ... specially the intermittent faults ........ I used to spend hours finding bad joints and replacing pots. I brought my own 32 channel Spirit for £400 complete with huge rack mount power supply 

I can't say it added much mojo to mixing ..just noise  :)... I had 24 channels bussed out from PT into it for a while but I actually preferred the in the box summing mixes rather than use the Soundcraft. In the end I sold it for £290 on Ebay

I'm sure summing into a nice Neve or something else with transformer coupled pre's would sound a lot better though 
    Yup, this is completely my issue with it.
    It usually isn't better sounding than mixing in the box.
  • We just got an AMEK Angela for the FXp studio. It's right pucker and only cost us £2000 !

Bye!

We just got an AMEK Angela for the FXp studio. It's right pucker and only cost us £2000 !
    With or without integrated patchbay?
    Has it ever been recapped?
  • octatonic said:
    We just got an AMEK Angela for the FXp studio. It's right pucker and only cost us £2000 !
    With, and yes I believe it has.

Bye!

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Big old desks are very cool but I get why they are so cheap - back in the I had a tac scorpion with a big rack and the idea of doing live sound without a couple of lads helping lug the gear out of the question.    Now I use an x32 or xr18 with loads of hk active boxes and I can do local gigs on my own making it an affordable prospect for pub and club gigs.  

If I had a big enough home studio I could be tempted to install a big analogue desk just for the hell of it at the prices they now go for.   
    octatonic said:
    With, and yes I believe it has.
    Bargain then.