Sense Check - eBay Hassle!!

What's Hot
Hi all, just wanted to run this situation by you guys in the hope that I’ll either be justified or put in my place!!

So I sold a speaker on eBay, £59 plus £7.50 p&p I think, £1 final payment fee. The guy who buys it pays for it and I pack it up and send it via MyHemes a few days later. 

I did notice before I sent it that the address was in fact a convenience store rather than residential but thought the guy must be an employee or know someone working there. I got tracking details but didn’t upload them to eBay - I’ve got a new baby and decided I’d follow any issues up myself if they arose. 

Anyway, few days later the buyer contacts me saying it’s not at the shop. I check the tracking and indeed it’s being returned to sender (me). I email MyHermes and they say the package was rejected when they tried to deliver to that address. 

It turns out the guy didn’t work there or know anyone who does but expected it to be there waiting for him non the less - I don’t know why, but he seems very confident about that. He also said I failed to inform him when the package was going to be delivered - he hadn’t mentioned needing to know specifically before, but I get I should have uploaded the tracking deets. 

I’ve offered to allow him to organise his own courier to get the speaker back to him, or refund the price of the item minus the p&p. He wants the lot refunded or has suggested going 50:50 with the p&p. 

I think the mistake was his. He thinks it was MyHemes and mine. What do you reckon?? Ive asked that eBay get involved to sort it but don’t know what to expect!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 449
    Sounds to me like it is his mistake, but eBay does seem to side more often with the buyer, I think.  In any case, if the amount is in the £60 - £70 total, annoying as it is, I think I'd be questioning if it is really worth my time to get into protracted discussions about it.  Sorry to sound negative, but I suppose it depends how highly you value your time, or if you want to stand your ground as a point of principle.  He sounds a bit of a dick, so if you do try to argue the case, he may give you more grief I suspect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Collection shops can reject parcels if they feel they don't have the space. Annoying but true.
  • richh said:
    Sounds to me like it is his mistake, but eBay does seem to side more often with the buyer, I think.  In any case, if the amount is in the £60 - £70 total, annoying as it is, I think I'd be questioning if it is really worth my time to get into protracted discussions about it.  Sorry to sound negative, but I suppose it depends how highly you value your time, or if you want to stand your ground as a point of principle.  He sounds a bit of a dick, so if you do try to argue the case, he may give you more grief I suspect.
    That it isn’t worth it did occur to me - whether it’s a point of principle I’m willing to give me time to I will decide sooner rather than later! I’m hoping it’ll get escalated quickly so that some 3rd party from eBay can weigh it all up. I appreciate the need for perspective though!

beed84 said:
    Collection shops can reject parcels if they feel they don't have the space. Annoying but true.
    It wasn’t a MyHermes collection shop, just some random shop near him. I think it might do Collect+ but as far as I can tell they had no reason to accept the parcel whatsoever!
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    That’s his fault, had it happen a couple of times at my shop when someone has just decided to have a package sent to the shop without checking if the shop offers the service they think they are getting. It’s a pain in the arse to be fair. 
  • Aren't you supposed to send ebay items to the registered PayPal address?
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    edited December 2018
    This is interesting.  I am due to have an amp delivered to a local store this week.

When buying on ebay you now get a click and collect option where you can select a store (usually Argos) to pickup from. This is much more convenient for me as I'm never at home during the day and the post office closes at 5.30.

I always assumed the stores were fully on board with the scheme.  I will be pretty annoyed if it gets returned to the seller.

So, I don't think it was your buyers fault if he just selected a participating store at the ebay checkout stage.

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/clickandcollect/

• I hadn’t thought about click and collect - this was just the address attached to the order on eBay. Nobody had mentioned click and collect but perhaps that’s where the wires have gotten crossed??
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited December 2018
    Ok, it’s that. At some point I’ve been auto-enrolled in ebay’s ‘Click and collect’ scheme. I didn’t remember ever seeing it as an option when building the adverts nor accepting the scheme, but the address includes some code that I left out - I had assumed it was to do with the LLPG or was a random store reference number but I think it was an eBay one that was required in order for the store to accept it. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    edited December 2018
    In my experience I’d just do the refund deal, if he wants it that bad he will come to some other arrangement, EBay will definitely side with the buyer.

I had a problem with Ebay auto checking the “ ship to all countries “ tab ...caused a right load of hassle.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    Ebay do keep sneeking these things in. Like the automatic price drops and best offers.
  • When it was me vs him, I thought I had a chance but me vs eBay and eBay get to decide? Sod it, I’ll try and help the guy out. 

Fishboy7 said:
    Ebay do keep sneeking these things in. Like the automatic price drops and best offers.
    This is very true - every time you add or edit an advert it tries to include some sort of Dutch auction thing in it. I’m not against click and collect in principle, but I want to opt into it, not have to work out I’m in it then opt out!!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    Did you post it to his registered address?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Steve922 said:
    Aren't you supposed to send ebay items to the registered PayPal address?
    No, you can get them sent anywhere. 

I get presents sent directly to my relatives from eBay rather than have to forward them on from mine. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Unfortunately it seems like your error. It happened to me recently, where I bought click and collect to a local shop and the seller didn't include the code in the address. He just thought it was random characters that weren't supposed to be there, so the shop had no way of dealing with the parcel.
  • DefaultM said:
    Unfortunately it seems like your error. It happened to me recently, where I bought click and collect to a local shop and the seller didn't include the code in the address. He just thought it was random characters that weren't supposed to be there, so the shop had no way of dealing with the parcel.
    Yep, this exactly. My error!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    p90fool said:
    Steve922 said:
    Aren't you supposed to send ebay items to the registered PayPal address?
    No, you can get them sent anywhere. 

I get presents sent directly to my relatives from eBay rather than have to forward them on from mine. 
    You can, but unless you send it to the buyer's registered Paypal address you have no seller protection. Many businesses accept this as part of the cost of doing business, just like occasional random idiots and scammers, but I certainly wouldn't as a private seller.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Can’t you just refund him and relist it?