My Long Delay Journey - Multiple Reviews Part 1

WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
edited April 2014 in FX

Inspired by Viz's recent post, I thought I'd add some thoughts about the many types of delay pedals out there... I have owned the following;

• Memory Lane Junior Custom
  • Memory Lane 2
  • T Rex Replica
  • EHX Deluxe Memory Man (M3005s)
  • EHX Deluxe Memory Man TT
  • Boss DD2 (1985, ‘Big Chip’, Blue Label)
  • Subdecay Anamesis
  • Caroline Kilobyte 
  • Caroline Kilobyte Custom White Ltd
  • Strymon El Capistan
  • Strymon Timeline (twice !)
  • Providence Chrono
  • Echolution 2
  • Catalinbread Echorec
  • Catalinbread Echorec Custom
  • Catalinbread Belle Epoch
  • Catalinbread Montevillian
  • EQD Dispatch Master
  • EQD Disaster Transport Senior
  • Red Panda Context

The Survivors

• EHX Deluxe Memory Man (M3005s)
  • T Rex Replica
  • Boss DD2 (1985, ‘Big Chip’, Blue Label)
  • Caroline Kilobyte Custom White Ltd

Boss DD2

According to the serial number, mine is a February 1985 Blue Label ‘long chip’ model. I was a pedal snob, and would never really have considered Boss. Bought this one on a whim, and man, is it impressive !

It almost offers the perfect blend of fairly clean initial notes, followed by those lovely analogue trails. Easy to control and dial in, there is definitely some mojo in these early ones, and this particular one is very quiet and unassuming.

These early models can command some strong fees now, and in this purely digital age, it’s easy to see why. A simple, musical delay with soul and sweetness...

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Boss DD2/DD21.jpg

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Boss DD2/DD22.jpg

EHX Deluxe Memory Man

This is one with the 2 much sought after 3005 chips in it. Reliced and used, it can with the original wooden box, warranty card and candy. Now this purchase is a very recent one, inspired and guided by the DD2...

Naturally, this DMM is a pure analogue pedal, and once again, it shows. You could structure whole songs, nay whole albums around the sound that these units produce. 

And, it’s actually very hard to describe what these are like. No delay I’ve played in  the above list really sounds or feels like this. I’m amazed that more manufacturers haven’t included the ‘chorus’ option more in delays. Sure, we have ‘modulation’ but most of it can produce the ‘out of tune’ sound, which in my opinion is ok in bedrooms, but seldom practical live.

Big footprint, unusual power supply but get a good one like mine, and it’s unbeatable. The knobs and ‘workflow’ of this pedal is inspiring too. In fact, that’s it... inspirational...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    Part 2 to follow...
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I wait on baited breath. We seem to have been on a similar journey. I'm alarmed to see you haven't owned either of the empress superdelays though. I forgot to mention in my email earlier that the VMSD would have been a top 10 for me! 
    Sorry, I did own the Vintage modified ! Must have been culled as well...

It's interesting though, I'd like to try some of them now that I have grown as a musician...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Fuck yeah for the old DMM- as you say, you could get whole albums out of it. U2 got 2 :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Mind blowing the DMM with the 3005s... Nothing compares to em imho.

You just need to get a good quiet one, and this one of mine is a belter !
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    I guy I was in a band with had an original Memory Man. The best delay out there by a country mile, but it used to break down every couple of gigs. 

I'd love one of the modern ones, but they are crazy expensive. 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I really didnt get the hype on the DD2 I owned. It sounded pretty similar to a DD3 albeit the 3 had some low pass filtering or something going on, I actually preferred the sound of the 3.
    edited April 2014
    hugbot said:
    I really didnt get the hype on the DD2 I owned. It sounded pretty similar to a DD3 albeit the 3 had some low pass filtering or something going on, I actually preferred the sound of the 3.
    It is strange mate... I've never got the whole Boss delay thing, and I've played a few. But this one has the early 'long' chip, if that creates any 'mojo' I dunno, but it truly sounds amazing.

And feels amazing. I know I keep banging on about this, but some pedals (to me) have a feel and a workflow which inspires.

The Pete Cornish, PTD, Caroline Kilobyte fall into this category for me personally; as well as the awesome DMM...

But as ever, YMMV and I appreciate that.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9713
    I ordered a Long Delay pedal once, took ages to arrive
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited April 2014

I know mate, and that company will
    never get any repeat business...