Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best tubescreamer?

What's Hot
m1ck1970m1ck1970 Frets: 53
Whats the best tubescreamer?
What's everybody using?
All opinions welcome   :3
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12337
    I'm using a joyo vintage overdrive after watching endless comparison videos and not being able to tell the difference.  I find TSs change the sound a bit too much to use as a boost so I use a joyo sweet baby overdrive as a boost and both for more gain.  Total cost £33
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've used  maxon od808 for years.  Love it 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I've not actually tried an Ibanez Tube Screamer, but I'm using an EHX Soul Food with the level up and drive down. It's got plenty of juice in the level control so you can get more boost than a regular TS, plus it doesn't attenuate your highs and lows as much as a TS.

I did have a Joyo Vintage Overdrive before that, but found it a bit harsh and raspy. The Soul Food is a bit more rounded in its tone.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 961
    m1ck1970 said:
    No such beast. 

A better question would be what is the best tubescreamer for you? It will depend on your guitar, your amp and the sounds you want to hear and how much you re willing to spend. 

At the moment you are likely to get answers to 2 different questions, probably neither are what you want. 
    Instead of answering your question, people are likely to answer 1 of these 2 instead:

What tubescreamer are you using?
    What tubescreame do you have for sale?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Ninevolt/Animal Surfing Bear for me. I’ve never actually tried a real Ibanez one but the SB sounds good and has a picture of a bear on it :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited December 2018
    I use a Keeley modded TS-808. However, if you buy the JHS Bonsai, it's got various Tubescreamers in it, 9 to be precise, and costs roughly about the same price as the more high end, single ones.

OD-1 - 1977

An overall brighter and slightly higher gain mode that does not utilize the Tone knob. This mode also inverts signal just like the original and has asymmetrical clipping. The OD-1 is magical at boosting other drives or amps into singing saturation.

TS-808 - 1979

The classic low gain with that signature pronounced mid range.

TS-9 - 1982

Nearly identical to the TS-808 but with a slightly more pushed low-mid range.

MSL, Power or L Series - 1985

Though metal is in the name, this sound doesn’t quite inspire the modern metal djent we think of.  Still it has a higher gain sound with a more low end and an overall more gooey feel.

TS-10 - 1986

Made famous by John Mayer, this model is a slight upgrade from the TS9 for the late ’80s. Bluesy, crisp, more low end roll off and low gain.

Exar OD-1 1989

The EXAR is a Polish made TS-style pedal that has a slightly different drive character with a little more gain than the classic screamers as well as a slightly more transparent feel.

TS-7 (+mode) - 1999

The hot mode on this version gives you the highest gain sound in the Bonsai. More low end and dirt fill out the tone to have you shredding away.

Keeley Mod Plus - 2002

Robert Keeley’s classic mod tightens up the tone on the original giving you smoother mid range and high frequencies, and increased bass response.

JHS Strong Mod - 2008

Our own mod we’ve been doing since 2008 is much cleaner and overall more powerful. The mode has more pronounced higher and low end drop offs.

Having said that, the Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini sounds really great and is just over £50

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    m1ck1970 said:
    What's everybody using?
    All opinions welcome   :3
    Bonsai by JHS does a lot of TS versions!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    edited December 2018
    TS-9. It has the classic TS sound and look but with a more reliable switch and a better power socket than the 808.

9s and 808s sound identical, other than the component tolerance/drift variance between individual examples - you can prove it with a switch to select the two different buffer resistor values if you want. (Assuming the chips are the same - there have been a couple of different ones in older TS-9s.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    I like the Green Rhino because you can control the amount of low-end roll-off.
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I'm using the one on my Boss MS-3.
    Freaking love that. Almost bought a TS-9 a few days ago but I don't really need another TS.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31563
    It depends on your amp. I owned a TS-808 from 1980 until a year or so ago and it was great with big non-MV Marshalls, but fell out of use when I started gigging with combos. 

If I want a TS tone now I just use a Bad Monkey. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    TS9 Mini. Does the job. 
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Hudson Sidecar.
  • I'm very happy with my Maxon OD9, but I haven't directly compared it to other Tubescreamers.

It's not a competition.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271

MI Effects Super Blues Pro for me. The clipping options and EQ give so much more than just the TS sound.
    And means you can dial in most any guitar/amp - as this JustNick demo explains
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Didn’t know that SRV used the TS-10 model.

https://youtu.be/OtS-2TP0AZs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    duotone said:
    Didn’t know that SRV used the TS-10 model.

https://youtu.be/OtS-2TP0AZs
    SRV used all three models. As far as I know he started with two 808s, then - presumably when one broke - an 808 and a 9, then finally a 9 and a 10, probably when the other 808 died.

“The good news is” they were able to get the original 808 switches remade... the bad news is they’re still shit. And all three models have circuit boards - in fact the 808 and 9 boards are identical.

The funny thing is the video shows a TS-9 at the start, and he’s holding one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    I've got the EHX East River Drive. It's meant to have the same chip as one of the original Tubescreamers for extra original Tubescreamer-y-ness....

I got it because I wanted something TS-esque and this was a great sounding one for my amp at a very reasonable price. I use it with the gain almost rolled off and the volume cranked, with the tone around 11 o'clock.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    abw1989 said:
    I've got the EHX East River Drive. It's meant to have the same chip as one of the original Tubescreamers for extra original Tubescreamer-y-ness....

I got it because I wanted something TS-esque and this was a great sounding one for my amp at a very reasonable price. I use it with the gain almost rolled off and the volume cranked, with the tone around 11 o'clock.
    The East River Drive is a TS clone - so it's basically the same circuit. It uses the still readily available 4558 chip that most TSs, TS clones and many other pedals have and do use. As with these things there's a lot of mojo myth about the early 4558 chips, but I think most in the know (such as Analogman) argue there's no difference between original chips and currently produced ones. The TS circuit is far more important to the creating the TS sound than the 4558 chip.
  • No-one mentioned the bad monkey yet ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom